ridgerunrbunny

George Speakman RIP

I was informed a little while ago by my daughter that her father, George A. Speakman failed to pull his rip cord and died in Indiana today. I don't know who of you might have known him but he had accumulated around 2000 jumps by 1970. He was a friend to Bob Sinclair and jumped with Johnny Carson in a buddy jump along with, I believe was Milt Platt. He was in his mid 70's. Imagine that, still jumping. He also did the first experimental jumps on that rectangular parachute that most of you use these days whatever it is called. This is all I know he and I did not communicate. You will need to contact his family if you want to know anything more.
Bunny Speakman

Very sorry to hear this Bunny.
George and I had been talking via FB over the last few months. We had not talked for about 42 years, but when he got in contact with me it was as if it had only been 42 days since we last talked.
George wanted me to come to the midwest and make a retirement jump with him and Bobby Sinclare in a few months. But after that conversation he didn't respond to my messages.
George and I traveled to Chile in the early 70s and worked with their Army upgrading their jumping gear and instructing them in RW. I think this is one of the subjects he wanted to talk about.

This is a sad day.

Condolences Bunny,

I knew and jumped with George at Elsinore in the '70s but hadn't heard from him or what he was up to in years.

Another pioneer skydiver passes on...

Blueskys George; Rest In Peace on that cloud set aside for us.

Bill Davis, scr97
(also in my 70s)

Very sad news to hear this. When I hear the name George Speakman it takes me back to my childhood days roaming the dry lake of Elsinore in the 60's, chasing down pilot chutes and sleeves just to earn some money for junk food at the little snack bar the Perkins family ran at Skylark Aviation. My parents Milt and Patty Platt ran the Rumbleseat bar there. Mom worked manifest during the day and pop....we'll, he was jumpin out of planes with legends like George Speakman, Bob Sinclair, Jimmy Hughes, Dick Dumphy, Roy Fryman and the list goes on. Those were the days I tell ya, being awaken in the morning by Ray Smith flying that old yellow Beech AT-11 over the Rumblseat in the morning, holy shit, that was low!! I was just a kid then but remember the whole crazy scene as if it were yesterday. George will always be in my memory, a true legend!! I remember the Carson jump too, yep My dad, Milt Platt was wearing the camera for that one too. Sinclair......that is a book in of itself!! God speed George Speakman, Blue Skies brother, no sky too high, no muff too tuff!!