countzero

how much to learn to pack?

>:( I think it just down-right sucks that some folks out there in the skydiving verse are getting money out of newbies to teach them to pack. If a student is willing to hangout until late in the day or come around during a time when its slow, someone on the DZ should be nice enough to show them how to pack. Its not like 99.9% of us had to pay someone to teach us to pack, we ought to pass it on.

I,m very surprised that any dropzone would charge you to leearn to pack. If you can't find someone to teach you for free and you want to pay money to learn, invest in Billy Webers film PACK LIKE A PRO. $20 in para gear. Or get the Survival Series which includes 5 different films with pack like a pro for $60

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Cost me $50 to learn how to pack, only the riggers would teach that stuff to students & I didn't think twice about it until I read this thread :)
It's one thing to learn to pack from a range of people or a rigger but another to think you've been taught after a lesson from a single random jumper on the DZ. It's not clear every willing jumper would do a competent job instructing and most probably don't even know what they take for granted every time they pack.

P.S. for example would you cover 3-ring maintenance and assembly when showing someone how to pack, I was. What about warning the student about collapsible pilot chutes? And there's a list of other stuff that's not 'obvious'.

If a student is willing to hangout until late in the day or come around during a time when its slow, someone on the DZ should be nice enough to show them how to pack.

The problem is two-sided.

Increasing numbers of new skydivers don't buy their beer. Since they don't buy their beer they don't become friends with the old skydivers who pass on information like how to pack to their newer skydiving friends.

So they learn how to pack from people whose interest in skydiving is more commercial than recreational.

That means packers and riggers who are teaching instead of getting $5 for a sport rig or $45 for a reserve.

Its not like 99.9% of us had to pay someone to teach us to pack, we ought to pass it on.

A lot of us met the old skydivers in our first few dozen jumps when we bought our first case of beer for graduation or second case for new gear.

There are plenty of people at dropzones willing to show someone how to pack --- of course some of those people aren't great packers;)

I have explained to many people at my DZ how to pack while I am packing my rig, I also answer questions, and will even through a new canopy in a bag for nice people BUT unless we are on a weather hold I do not want to spend 2+ hours teaching packing when I could be jumping.

Hence, I offer people to come to my house on a non-jumping day and learn for free. I think people learn better when there are no distractions AND they write down the steps. My one-on-one classes go like this: I pack my rig and explain every step while they watch, ask questions, and take their own notes of the process.

I then allow them to pack my rig as many times as they want to. During this time I will watch, then go do some chores around the house, come back, watch some more, answer questions, etc.

These students typically become friends who are happy to buy/give me a beer, use me for coach jumps, use me for video jumps, and recommend me to their friends doing tandems. The compensation may take a while but investing in new skydiver friends is almost always a good thing.B|
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I teach for free (when/as time permits). Last time I taught it was at the jumper's house with both my gear and his, instructing both him and his roommate... Again free, but when he offered me a nice tip for the 3-4 hours I had spent, I quickly promised him that it his money would disappear into thin air asap... and it did that weekend in the form of a couple lifts to 13,500' ;)

(PS - just in case anyone thinks I pulled a fast one to get my gear packed... my rig started packed and ended the night unpacked... I like to use it for packing demo's as every cell and stab are different a color from their neighbors and the center is a unique color... much easier to demo on than a mono-color.)

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Haha...I'll buy the beer for someone to teach me to pack!! Actually...I'll give the money to someone else to buy the beer.

I like beer:)

OK, I thought the Beer thing was just a saying. I don't drink beer ( it's sour) and who exactly am I buying beer for? Do they drink beer ? How do I know what brand of beer? If it's my instructor(s), is it a case for each? Do they all like beer? All the same brand? Is it the packers? The pilots? The manifest girl? The front office people? The student check in office?

Can I expect not to make friends if I don't buy beer?

Help me out here!
I should have been a kickass drummer and a world famous first base man.

OK, I thought the Beer thing was just a saying.

:o OMG... NO!!! Its not just a saying!!!! It starts when you get off status... you owe a case of beer... after that, when ever you do anything for the "first" time... first pack-job, for example... pretty soon you'll refer to the word "first" as the F-word and not FUCK... and you'll instinctively say "CASE OF BEER" when ever you hear someone else say "first"... even when around WHUFFOS...

...who exactly am I buying beer for?

The Drop Zone & the Beer Gods.

Do they drink beer ?

YES!!!

How do I know what brand of beer?

GREEN BOTTLES!!!!

If it's my instructor(s), is it a case for each?

No... one case of beer to the DZ anytime you admit to doing something for the firat time or get caught doing something for the first time.

Do they all like beer?

YES!

All the same brand?

GREEN BOTTLES!!!!

Is it the packers?

Could be... as long as they're done packing for others for the day... ;)

The pilots?

Could be... just remember, 12-inches from Bottle to Throttle! :P

The manifest girl?

YES!!! ... if she's cute... :D ... if she doesn't think you're cute... get her to drink beers until you're cute... :D

The front office people?

YES!

The student check in office?

YES!

Can I expect not to make friends if I don't buy beer?

YES!!... just kidding...

Help me out here!

Once you owe beer, buy it and bring it onto the DZ... it becomes "fair game"... no longer your beer... free to anyone for the taking without reproach. :)
Now... if we're talking buying your rigger a bottle for saving your life after you aired your reserve he or she paked for you... that's a different story... ;)

If it's my instructor(s), is it a case for each? Do they all like beer? All the same brand? Is it the packers? The pilots? The manifest girl? The front office people? The student check in office?

Do a search for "beer rules" they can be a bit over the top but a case upon graduating AFF and a case when you get your A license is a good start. A couple of other cases is not a bad idea either. Personally I don't like beer (Mandy will tell you I'm a wine cooler kind of a guy but the reality is it's Whiskey). The beer is a way to socialize and meet people. One can just bring the beer and it will be tucked in the "school beer fridge" and handed out at the end of the night. Another idea is to bring a cooler of beer and hand them out at the end of the evening to everyone - staff, experienced jumpers, etc. It is a way to introduce yourself to people. It's a big DZ and even though experienced jumpers are going out of their way to meet new jumpers it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. They want to get to know new people so help them out by introducing yourself with "Hi, I'm Edward and I'm bring beer for my first whatever"

Just so you don't think it is all students. Ernie (the chief instructor with 10,000 jumps) busted the beer line (landed 2 feet inside the spectator area) and bought a case of beer on Saturday night. I owe beer for my first titanium and when I get to jump again in a couple of months my first jump back from surgery.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP