Renaldo1495

Did anyone know Ron Gross?

Hey guys! My uncle died jumping Nova back in 1993 when he was 19 or 20. I was named in memory of him, so any time I search "Ronnie Gross skydiving" only some youtube videos of mine come up. The only thing I can find online is his obituary, memorial scholarship and this:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=676206

I know that he went to Radford University in Virginia, and I think he was planning on investing in a dz with some buddies. I have a hard time asking my family about his death, so I don't know many specifics, and the only things I know about his life are childhood memories from my father. I'd love to hear memories of him from anyone who knew him in the jump world.

Thanks!

Ronnie Beth Gross

Ronnie Beth,
I am your surrogate uncle and a good friend of your dad. I have some pictures of Ron of when a friend of mine went to DC and got to spend some time with him. I've kept up with you and your dad's antics and adventures here and there over the years as well as all the jumpers that we all knew before you were even a twinkle. Regardless of the time between phone calls and emails, we're still all family. We all have the same roots.

Your uncle's passing was part of a string of heartbreaks for your grandfather and your dad that year. It was hard on everyone, especially your dad. Gary probably one of my favorite people in the whole world, his wit, his humor and his outlook on things in general was always so refreshing and fun. As I remember it, your uncle was very similar. All the Gross' are good eggs.

I'd be happy to chat and give you an outside perspective of what I know... in the meantime, poke your dad to call me. It's about time we caught up again ;)

Adam

the picture is your dad's 500th "Pie". Good times. I'll scan the photo of Ron I have framed at the house and post.
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Hello! Thanks for the picture!!! :) Any fun memories and pictures you have of Ronnie or my dad would be pretty great, I've heard the same few stories a bunch and it would be nice to have some new ones about my dad (or uncle) and not coming from him! And I'll certainly remind him to give you a call.

wow this thread is bitter sweet to read but I'm glad someone alerted me that you posted this. we were great friends and I was on your uncles last jump. October 4,1993. He was 19. Around 225 jumps. I never met you but always heard great things about you from your grandfather...one of the kindest men I've ever met. it has been way too long since I spoke with him. I have several pictures of Ron that I can dig up and lots of videos of all our jumps together and other things. Plus tons of stories. He went to Radford but we would drive to and from Virginia Tech each weekend to skydive orange. What great times. Email me... bpfreefly at aol dot com. BobbyP

Hi Ronnie,

Hope all is well with your family. I knew your Uncle Ron in college. Ron was one in a million, there wasn't anyone he couldn't make laugh. I think about your uncle all the time, he left an imprint in all our hearts. I would be more than happy to get you in touch with some of his fraternity college friends. My personal email address is [email protected].

Take care,
Fab