nndefense

Bobby "Spider" Wrenn

It is with sadness that I report the passing of Bobby "Spider" Wrenn on April 9, 2014, after a short bout with cancer. Bobby was one of my first instructors and jumpmasters at XVIII Sport Parachute Club, Ft. Bragg, 1962. Bobby was also a Golden Knight on two tours, as I recall.

At this time, funeral arrangements are incomplete according to published reports. I'm sure the GKs will be heavily involved. Spider was a highly regarded jumper and member of the team.

Blue skies, Bobby. Open me a PBR when I get there. (Spider was also the club bartender when nobody else was around.)

Almost speechless, this is so hard to believe. We've lost a legend, a friend, a leader. Spider was such an influence to so many of us "Old Timers". You'll be missed, old friend. Heart felt condolences to Nancy and the family. Rest easy Spider.

Usetawuz

Almost speechless, this is so hard to believe. We've lost a legend, a friend, a leader. Spider was such an influence to so many of us "Old Timers". You'll be missed, old friend. Heart felt condolences to Nancy and the family. Rest easy Spider.

Well, Usetawuz, I wouldn't feel too, too bad. Spider had 83 wonderful years, was surrounded by GKs, old and new, family, and I suppose, Nancy. I'm 69 and if I get the kind of time left that Bobby had, I'll feel lucky.

Side note: I used to marvel at the pull Bobby had at Ft. Bragg, getting choice assignments and all until I found out that as 1st. Sgt. of the 440th Army Band, he would march the whole bunch up to main post and play the commanding general's favorites outside his window. The general? Westmoreland. Heh!

Of course, I did the same kind of sucking up as the manager of the Fort Polk Sport Parachute Club in 1969. Ah...those were the days. Like Bobby, I was, in addition to being the manager, pilot and instructor, the bartender.