lekstrom10k

Gert Ekstrom (Jan)

My Wife started jumping in 07 08 1972 at Salem MI with the Para hawks Although she only made 33 jumps she has one more coming,She was well known in Michigan Ohio IN IL. She went to the first Richmond Boggie . All the Hinckley Scrambles and Freak Brothers at Freeport and Quincey. She made T-Shirts for Missie and Rook when they were tots. She developed MS about 35 years ago . She got one tandem jump by me 20 years after her last solo jump. Her crutch was brought to her to get off the field under her own power. She was a smoker for a long time but finally quit. Well cancer had other plans. She complained everything was going dim and she couldn't see or hear. That was in September. EMS took her to a hospital were she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. She went through Chemo that made things worse eventually. She passed away in a hospital room with 16 family and friends there. We plan an ash dive for her at Tommy Oriellys Tawas Boogie in late August . Keep her in your hearts and prayers she had to put up with me for38 years and Cancer too.

Wow, what a well written piece....

I cried inside, as I read it. I choked up, and finally cried real tears, as I barely got through reading it to my non-jumping girlfriend.... Damn few things make me cry.....

Peace be with you....

She is with good company now, as a member of "The Infinite Freefallers"....

Check's in the mail...........
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org

My favorite Gert story she told me was the time you and her were driving with some friends and while she leaned forward over the front seat, you figured it was a Great time to take care of some business. Musta been a smooth operator 'cause Gerty said she just carried on a conversation and they never looked back to see what was really happening. RIP Lovely Lady. You are missed.

Friday is her memorial service , Her ash dive will be in Tawas MI on August 23 at Tommy Oriellys boogie .John Sherman is having her ash bag built like Vickie Johnston's, Except it will have flamingos on it the sacred bird of sky divers. I was astounded to find out Vickie was 6 days older than Gert. If you go to my sight on Facebook there are a lot of pictures. I don't know how to transfer them. She wrote her own epitath 30 years ago. Also a poem to Jessica Myks . Sluggers daughter. Again I don't know how to transfer it. Thanks again for caring.

I finally caught Lars at home to help post this copy of Gerts Ash dive. Thats me with the bag with flamingos on it . Tim and John Sherman made the baf for me at the Jump Shack. It wiil always be that no matter what they say. Cliff Alfiche is side body on me Pat Solar is on the left . Keek {Chris } Myks is next He is Slugger Myks son. His brother Brandon flew 84Charley in the formation. Bryan Shehann is under the Go-Pro on my left. Ryan Hanold took the pictures and video. A few others had a misshap and couldnt dock to form a giant "G" for Gert. There was also a "G" on the ground made up from flamingos standing Honor Guard for us.