JerryBaumchen

Dan Abbott 1923-2011

A few days ago I received a call from Dan's widow, she informed me that he passed away in May 2011.

I first met Dan in the Fall of 1966. I had ordered a new CrossBow container from Security Parachute Co. and, since I was going to be in the San Francisco area, I wanted to pick it up at their facility.

They were actually closed the day I came to pick it up but Dan came from his home to meet me and give me my container. He then asked if I would like a tour of the place. It was completely empty except for Dan and I but I was fascinated by the tour. It was my first time ever in a large parachute manufacturing facility.

Over the years, whenever I was in the San Francisco area, I would call Dan and see about stopping by. He always had time for me and he always gave me a tour of the facility.

Then about 1978 Dan was hired by FXC Corp. to run their Guardian Parachute Division in Southern California. So then whenever I was in Southern California, I would give Dan a call and stop by and see him.

He retired in 1988 and he & Patty relocated to a house on a cul-de-sac in Ceres, California in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. Every 5-7 years I would get in touch with him and we would catch up with each other.

The first evening of the 1993 PIA Symposium I walked into the bar and heard someone call my name. I looked over and Dan said, "Jerry, let me buy you a drink." We spent a couple of hours just chatting and catching up with each other. He was there because PIA was giving him their Achievement Award.

In 1939, at age 16, Dan went to work for John Maggi and his Johnny's Parachute Loft that was located on the Oakland, California airport. It was just the two of them and most of their income was in repacking the parachutes on the airport.

Dan got called up during World War II and served in India in support operations for the 'Flying the Hump' efforts. After the war, he returned to Oakland & went back to work for John Maggi in what had been renamed Security Parachute Company.

In early 1963 Dan designed the entire Tracker parachute system; a main harness/container, a main canopy, a front-mounted reserve and the 26 ft conical reserve canopy. In late 1963 John Maggi charged him with developing an entire new sport parachute system. It took 6 months of Dan's full-time effort and when it was finished, the CrossBow system came on the market in the Spring of 1964. To this day, I consider the development of the piggyback system to be the most singular advancement in sport parachute equipment. You can thank Dan Abbott for that.

While at Security Dan went on to design the Security 26 ft Conical Lo-Po Steerable Reserve canopy, the Security Safety-Chute, the ThunderBow main canopy and the entire Security Sierra Sport Parachute System.

At Guardian he designed the entire Fox Parachute System and a military tactical-insertion parachute system. Guardian sold the military system by the thousands.

I believe that Dan Abbott was the most prolific parachute designer of the 20th century.

I was fortunate to have known Dan for nearly 45 years; he was one of the nicest people you could every meet.

Blue Skies Dan Abbott.