Douggarr

Larry Elmore

Larry Elmore died yesterday in a skydiving accident in Florida. He was an extroadinary guy, terrific skydiver, 400-way world record holder, SOS plane captain on several world records. He was also an ex-Navy pilot and former airline captain. And one of the great people in this sport. If you got to jump with him, it was a special privilege and an honor. I'll miss him greatly as hundreds of others he shared the air with will miss him as well. BSBD, Larry. RIP
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

I jumped with Larry at a bunch of SOS big way events and was often in his plane and on the same whacker he was. Always upbeat, always a gentleman, and a fine skydiver and aviator. I'll miss him.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Very sad news. I had the privilege of rooming with him in Elsinore and was on his
plane for the SOS 60 way we did last year, plus was on several of the SOS events with him. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met. Hope he is enjoying a great reunion but it doesn't make it easier for those of us still here.

Fly on Larry - you are missed!
Flip

I only had the pleasure of meeting Larry a month or so ago at an air show while we were hanging out in a tent, but I was so impressed with the way he carried himself and with his good humor and interesting stories. It seems like he could have written a book based off his experiences and it probably would have been quite enjoyable to read!

Here's a video from when he did 72 jumps on his 70th birthday. Simply amazing! I love where he's just drinking a Coke and eating a homemade sandwich, like the day was no big deal. B|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apXofpkLJMc&feature=share

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I never saw Larry without a smile. Ever.
I just spent time with him at Sun n Fun.
He was there with the A-4 and the whole crew.

Miss you Larry. Sorry we won't get that visit next time you're in town.

Blue Skies sir. Rest easy.:(

A really great guy, always enjoyed having him as a plane captain at records.
Sorry we'll have to "Get er done" without you, Larry.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Many people don't know that Larry still holds the record for most landings on an aircraft carrier at night. It may never be broken. Some 1100 or so. When naval aviators have been studied by the slide rule set, they found that the highest pucker factor is on approach to the deck in the dark. So don't anyone ever suggest that this guy didn't have the right stuff.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Sunday, 26May13:reposted today....
Oh, this really sucks.... We had to put down the cat, yesterday. And now, this.... It is comforting to know that it was quick, and he was enjoying life to the fullest.

For several years, he has asked me to jump with the SOS folks....lol, (I just turned 60 in 2013). He was my plane captain at my first SOS record jump, just last month. I am very surprised at the apparent reason here..... Grrrrr

It has always been a pleasure knowing you, Larry!

Now, you join the Endless Freefaller Society.... EFSMF!

Check's in the mail....
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org

Of the 3 fatalities this weekend, Larry was the one I had the most jumps with.

We were on POPS, World Team and the Go-Fast 300-way loads together & probably some other dives here and there.
In addition to that we were co-organizers of SOS records.
I wasn't on any of the SOS record dives because I am still too young.
But I did do the dive engineering of 4 SOS records, 2 in Elsinore and 2 in Florida.

Larry & I saw eye-to-eye in how these dives should be arranged.
We were both Lieutenants under the Generals that did not have as much big-way experience as we did.
But we did have problems with directing the dives because of, shall I say, 'politics'.
We had many side conversations about the 'politics' and tried to figure out how to make this go down the right path. We wanted the dives to follow the recruitment, dive engineering and slotting to follow what is standard for FS WRs.
Somehow, we couldn't get the 'Generals' to see this path, even when safety issues were brought up because the loads were getting larger.

All these side conversations are what I'll remember the most about Larry.
I never met anyone that saw the vision the same way I did and was just as frustrated because 'politics' entered the picture.

Of course, being on some FS WRs with Larry were cool too.

Blue Skies Larry

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker