patworks

1999 Larry Yohn Killed

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 Larry Yohn Killed

:Black Death,
: Old friend and long-time Perris Valley skydiver-instructor was killed :today on a demo jump in Pomona Calif. I do not know any details.
: Larry was a bon vivant (& a 1-leg jumper) who taught school and was an :avid reader. He lost his leg in India riding a motor scooter several :decades ago.
: Larry had/has my respect.
:Blue Skies,

: Old friend and long-time Perris Valley skydiver-instructor was killed :today on a demo jump in Pomona Calif. I do not know any details.
: Larry was a bon vivant (& a 1-leg jumper) who taught school and was an :avid reader. He lost his leg in India riding a motor scooter several :decades ago.

Ditto.

One of the most amazing things was that at his wake/memorial at Perris, several of the attendees were people who had made one or only a few jumps, and Larry had been their instructor. None of them were active skydivers and some of them lived far away, and they came only to pay their respects to someone they universally considred to be the best and most memorable teacher any of them had had for any reason.

Never before or since have I seen such a thing for a skydiving instructor.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

I stumble for words... Our sky-passion is but a reflection of he that was: mentor, role model, fond friend.
One of the few I could converse with on topics of substance and grist.
He, SKR, Roland, Rande, Magic John, Carl, PYL, and Ray lit my skies with word-play….
…. Tête-à-tête with paint. They paintbrush our sky and our eye
With potentials
That choke hearts with love and lust
to open new skies
Candy.
What is dandy: Lyricists of mind synergy; seldom-ever 'chat'
Phat, that
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

This is a very late post in memory of my friend, Larry Yahn. I was a close friend of Larry from 1961 through 1967. I only now learned that Larry died skydiving. Not sure if his skydiving friends know this, but Larry was one of the top gymnasts on the still rings in the US in the 60's.
I met Larry when I was a freshman at Penn State in 1961. I wandered into the gym and thought I would try to do something on the rings. I had no gymnastic experience and I wound up falling on my face. Everyone laughed except for Larry. He showed me the proper way to do the move and became my gymnastic mentor. He coached and encouraged me and never expected anything in return. I eventually made the team, but never accomplished what Larry accomplished. I last saw Larry at Penn State when he returned from India with a missing leg, otherwise unchanged. Larry was the kindest, most selfless person I ever met. My wife only got to know Larry briefly and she was struck by his genuine, natural kindness.
I saw Larry on TV (I think about 35 years) ago with some other skydivers. I tried to locate Larry then and about 15 years ago, but without success. I tried again last week and I found this post. What a shock. My grief surprised even me. Larry was the best. I feel honered to have been his friend. I miss you Larry, but I am sure you lived life to the fullest and kept your high spirit and good nature always.

Al

Larry was great guy for sure, he taught part of my first jump course in 1987, he taught me to PLF. I went on to do many training Jumps with Larry, he was always very patient and generous with his knowledge. When Larry learned I had a machine shop he came to me with an idea for a custom designed prosthetic devise that would help him swivel on the end of his post. He and I worked together to design the device and he used it successfully for many years and was always grateful.

physbang

Everyone laughed except for Larry. He showed me the proper way to do the move and became my gymnastic mentor. He coached and encouraged me and never expected anything in return.

Thanks for sharing that story. We would all be lucky to be remembered as that kind of human being. :)

I knew Larry for 20+ years at Perris and still remember him as a good friend.
We both taught ground schools at Perris and I always joked I was the one with the less prominent limp :-)

You are not alone, Larry affected many people overt the years.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Larry helped me through student progression @ Perris on 81.
I still think of him occasionally and just last week was speaking with one of the doc's I work with who made a S/L jump with Larry in ~ 86.
He never went back, so Larry must have scared him off...........

;)

patworks

Hi Pat and all,
Yes Larry was quite a guy!! "I remember when!!" ..I was by the Target at Perris and looking up someone opening from a load had a Mal and lo and behold everyone expected but it was a ROUND RESERVE!! and Larry under it!! He manipulated the control lines to his satisfaction and made a descent into the "PEA GRAVEL!!" Too bad it wasn't an accuracy meet........Happiness is having a malfunction, cutting away to your 26' Conical Round reserve , coming in for a "DEAD CENTER" and refusing the "Re-jump" during a meet My Darling!! That would be Larry!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out