Feeblemind

Donny Brown

edit by Skymama-

Reposted from Dean Ricci, Blue Skies Magazine (I don't know if Dean posts here, he is the author of this article)

It is with incredible sadness that we learned of the passing of Donny Brown on a skydive in Byron, California. If you have jumped in or around Northern California anytime over the last ten years or so, then you have undoubtedly felt the warmth of one of the most amazing smiles in all of skydiving. Donny was a facet at Skydance Skydiving in Davis California, and those of us who were lucky enough to call that place our home Dropzone were also lucky enough to call Donny Brown friend. Donny was an avid and talented Freeflyer and swooper who enjoyed pushing the limits whenever the chance arose, yet he was also the first one willing to take the time to mentor those just joining our world. Outside of skydiving, he was a talented mechanic, and avid race car driver, and one of the most amazing painters around who was always willing to lend a hand whenever he was needed. He gave his time and energy easily, even when he had little to give, and would never meet nor leave even the newest of his friends without an amazing hug, a huge beautiful smile, and the most sincere affection anyone could ever ask for. Donny leaves behind more friends than I could possibly begin to list, but none more important the the true love of his life, Courtenay. No one who ever saw Donny and Courtenay together could ever claim different.

At times like this it can be difficult not to hate the sport that has taken someone so wonderful away from us, but impossible not to love the sport that gave him to us in the first place. Donny, I cannot help but smile when I see your picture, or think of my true luck in having spent time with you. You are loved, and you will be missed.

Blue Skies, Black Death

Donny Brown, 2012

Donny’s Friends:

“we will miss you forever. One of the most accepting, kind, generous, loving people I knew on this planet. My heart aches for Courtney… I know you adored each other…. my heart aches for all who had the privilege to know you… and my heart aches for those that never had that awesome experience. That last big ol’ bear hug will have to last a life time.”

“Damn…what I wouldn’t give for one more of your never ending hugs and scratchy giggling nuzzles. Remember when Jack was struggling with being a teen, girls, growing up, you name it? .. he used to say “”how does Donny B do it? How does he always smile? You would just start giggling and the two of you would crack each other up!! Thanks you so much for that infectious never ending smile.”

“Donny, one of those people you are better for when he comes into your orbit. His passion for life, the sincerity with which he lived, the joy he shared… I will always hold a bit of him close, and miss this man.”

And so many more…

Many of you asked how you can help. We’ve set up a paypal account to accept donations. All money will go directly to Courtenay. If we can mitigate even a little bit of the financial stress, that will give her more time to process this loss and begin healing.

Please send any donations via paypal to [email protected]

If you have any questions, please ask. And thank you in advance! Every little bit helps.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I was gutted when I heard about this. Since moving away from NorCal, its been years since we've jumped together Donny. However, I still remember all the good times we had. I was stoked to be on one of your first BASE jumps.

We'll fly again thats for sure. Never stop smilin' bro.

Condolences to Courtenay, Donny's family, and the entire NorCal skydiving community.

Donny gave me so much support and encouragement at my first CP Nationals in 2010. He would show up for the occasional meet in NorCal and I always looked forward to seeing him when I went over to Davis. Always laughing, smiling, and having a great time. This leaves a big hole in the NorCal community.

We'll miss you buddy. Say hi to Tommy for me.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Downtown Donny Brown ... I'll remember you for that SMILE, those hugs, the fact that you always had a bright energy about you no matter what kind of tough stuff you were going through (you even gave great one-armed hugs when you were rehabbing your shoulder). I'll remember that shit-eating grin you got on my 400th when you exited the Skyvan on an inflatable jump and wound up with just the head of an inflatable dragon in your hand. :D.

I'll remember all the fun times, but I'll also remember how much you gave back to the sport, always ready to go up on a freefly jump with anyone, always coaching and mentoring and helping to grow the skills of the local jumpers, and always looking out for the ones who were doing too much too fast, and helping them to understand that it took a lot of time, patience, and practice for you to get where you were on your canopy.

And finally, I'll remember your love and respect for Courtenay - it's clear you two were a perfect match and my heart goes out to her as you leave us.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke