jdobleman

Bob Moore

We got word at Lost Prairie from his sister that Bob Moore passed away last weekend after battling cancer for the past year and a half.
While not born there, Bob always considered himself a Texan and was an Instructor/Tandem Master at Skydive San Marcos when I first met him at LP many years ago, along with his girlfriend at the time, and one true love, Dana Bartells, and Walter the Anvil, a cameraman.
We usually have a say in choosing our friends, Bob chose me without my knowing it. He was a pretty private guy in many ways, which is why we didn’t know about his condition, even when he missed Lost Prairie last year for the first time in many years. He had stopped jumping regularly after he moved to NY for work. He called LP his home dropzone but did come to the final Belize Boogie and Nicaragua last year, which is where he told me of his condition and that he was going into a study at Sloan-Kettering.
His last email over a week ago said he had been told there was nothing left to try and he had retired from work and was too tired to put his rig on. Writing this is the hardest thing I’ve done in a long time.
We will be doing a memorial dive this Sunday at LP and releasing his ashes here next year.

Here is a blog page from his sister, Deb.

Blue skies, my brother

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Damn, Mad John. This really sucks. Liz sent me an e-mail last week about his condition. Bob was a good guy, a good jumper and a good friend. I'm so glad he joined us in Nicaragua.

Fly free my friend, a LOT of people will miss you...

I met Bob in Nicaragua and he was a highlight of the trip for me. He never let on about his illness, but took everything with equanimity. His terrible poker playing was entertaining for opponents and spectators alike. I hoped and expected to see him again, and will miss him.

Blue skies, Bob.

Dan'l

Hi MJ

I was :o to see Bob's name in in this forum:(

The big DZ in the sky is going to beB|. When we finally get there. Bob, Bill, Harry et al leave the light on there's more of us fossils on the way:)
R.

One Jump Wonder

Very sad to hear this. I haven't seen Bob in years, but we had recently gotten in touch again through facebook. He was one of my first skydiving friends, back when I started jumping at Skydive San Marcos in 1991. A lot of my early jumps were with him. Always a sweetheart, and a lot of fun to be around. RIP, Bob. You will be missed. :(

:( One of my most precious memories of Bob is from WT96 in Russia. He and I were last out of one of the helicopters and Jerry Schrmisher was lurking the formation. With Jerry in the middle, we took a 3 way line off the tailgate. As Bob and I released Jerry to get to our slots, we exchanged a high 5. Bob had the biggest grin on his face. 20 years later He still talked about that jump as being one of his favorites. If you look at the video from that event, Bob is featured in one clip where he fell down in the helicopter, and literally drags himself across the floor and off the tailgate to get to the slot. I have dozens of Bob memories and pictures from SSMI and was lucky to have had him as a friend. We have lost a good friend.

When I asked Bob to join me in my otter for the POPS 2007 record team, he was very humble and asked if I was sure I wanted him. Hell yes! I said. I also remember being last out of an otter at Lost Prairie and telling Bob I'd race him to the base. To this day, I'm sure he let me win. I thought of you often last week when I heard you had got skydiving on the other side. Save me a slot, I will fly with you again one day my friend.