MissBuffDiver

Bill Newell SCR #3 has passed...

:(It is with a heavy heart that I tell you of the passing of BILL NEWELL SCR#3. He passed on Aug. 5, Sunday evening around 6pm. He was at home with loved ones and his son Danny held his hand as Bill surrendered to God's call. Most of you Skydivers know that Bill is the founder of a most coveted award and that is the SCR and SCS. He was SCR #3 in the first 8-man round ever made in Arvin, CA on 10-17-65. The original 8 include Gary Young #1, Al Paradowski #2, Bill Newell #3, Mitch Poteet #4, Bill Stage #5, Jim Dann #6, Don Henderson #7, Brian Williams #8. Bill was preceeded in death by Bill on 1-30-10 and Don on 12-3-10...These 8 Men are the foundation of RW and they paved the way for all that followed...They were the Pioneers and Heroes for us all...Thank You for all the contributions you made to this sport Bill we love so much. But even more than that, Thank You for being such an awesome wonderful friend to all that crossed your path. If you knew him, lucky you. If you knew of him, lucky you. If you didn't get the chance to meet him, you really missed out on an amazing Man who truly loved others and this sport. To his Family I can only say you were the most lucky of all to have this Man in your life at a deeper level...God has promised us that we'll all see him again so carry on the best you can. I'm sure he was met at the BIG DZ in THE SKY with open arms by friends that went before him...I am smiling now knowing that he's probably made a few jumps with the OLD GANG and he's happy...RIP my Friend til we meet again...Sandy Harper-Calliham SCR#2046
Blue Skies Wild Willie RIP...
Sandy

Thanks Doug...I was so hoping he'd hang on for the HOF in Eloy in Nov...I'm sure that he will get an amazing send-off by all those that attend. I believe he was to receive something regarding the SCR Awards...I truly hope they will induct him into the Hall of Fame along with Carl Boenish and Bob Buquor...
Sandy

In memory of Bill Newell, I've changed my sig line to include my Star Crest award numbers. I encourage all who have their awards to do the same...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sandy-

Thank you for posting this, and offering the respect to his family and the skydiving community. My heart is heavy for them all. You are right, he was an extraordinary man.

I met Bill for the first time when I was 14. Now at 33, I can honestly say that knowing him was always interesting and fun.

He was on my SCR load, as well as my father and a few of the other old timers. A memory I will carry for the rest of my life.

I will forever miss him and my father. I will also always appreciate the guidance and the good times we had together in our sport.

I know Bill is banging away on his bongos, smoking a left-handed and catching up with the others that have already gone. Eternal blue skies Uncle Bill.

Again, thank you for posting.

Blue Skies,

Ben Nugent
SCR 14515

There was a time when jumping out of a plane was considered a method of deploying soldiers into battle. The time was World War II. There was a time when the U.S. was going through a social change. It was a time of race riots, Vietnam, nuclear threat from a world power, rock & roll, free love and rebellion. It was a time when pioneers were breaking the sound barrier, traveling into space for the first time and there was talk of putting a man on the moon. And it was a time when a twist of fate brought an unconventional band of skydivers together at a small DZ in the Central California vineyards. They decided to do their own thing and let the world fend for itself. They taught the world how to fly. They called themselves, "The Arvin Good Guys." It was 1964. This is their story.

The story does not end as it will live in generations of skydivers to come. RIP, Bill.

Keith
SCR 14304
SCS 8080
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Really sorry to hear this. We have been losing a lot of terrific long time skydivers recently. Nobody is getting any younger.
Met Bill when he came to Hawaii a long time ago when he came to one of our parties. Back in the day the SCR/SCS was a badge
to be proudly worn, and I am sure the quest for it pushed the growth and popularity of relative work big time.

We have lost another great one. The Hall of Fame would be a great place to honor his contribution to relative work.

Blue skies Bill, I'll have a beer for ya!

Flip

SCS 542, SCR 1389
Flip

I received this email from Brian Williams tonight.

Sparky
SCR-7494
SCS – 4073
NSCR – 1531
SCSA – 329
NSCSA- 105
[HR]
To Bill's friends,

Bill's funeral will be held at
1:00 P.M. Saturday 11, 2012
at Basham Funeral Care
3312 Nile Street,
Bakersfield, CA

Basham Ph. 661-873-8200

Brian Williams

[HR]
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

SCR-3, Wild Willie has gone off and got himself a free ash-dive. We know he is pleased to avoid the hassle of getting SRA. . . . Wonder if his last dive qualifies for SRA? - - - If heaven needs a bongo drummer, Bill has that slot covered with a blanket. ---- Bill has been/is a friend forty some years. Together, we did some good and some crazy things. He lived hard and went fast. My heart and sympathies to his friends and family for standing by at the last. His memory and memorial was set in stone long before he past. His days and his deeds echo towards forever. God be with you SCR-3. Sometime later, we'll all fly with thee. Godspeed wild Willie. XO - - -Bill does certainly love to fly. After today his flight hours and fuel are covered. .... I'd like to see him sporting big white wings. We could ruffle his feathers!
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,