NancyWSCR15

Ed Miller, USMC, Farewell Friend

Today, at Elsinore, a host of pioneer skydivers and close friends bid farewell to Ed Miller in a very well executed ash dive. The first part of the tribute to Ed was a fast and rock solid 8-way round with Ed's ashes carried by Pat Moorehead. Outside of the star were several "lurkers" who had a comfortable front-row view. It was easy to watch from the ground, thanks to a steady stream of smoke from the formation. When Ed was released, there was a brilliant flash of white in the middle of the descending smoke trail. It was beautiful, and the ashes lingered till after all canopies landed. On the second pass, Eike Hohendahl (USN Ret) flew a huge American flag (40' long!) as Barry Lastinger (USMC) released more of Ed's ashes while under canopy. Afterwards, friends gathered for a video taping of stories about Ed and personal farewells. Ed would have been so humbly proud. Thanks to everyone who helped to make such a fine tribute to a deserving friend. I'll try to post a link to the video as soon as it's available.

So often in our sport we cross paths. I first met Ed in the Phillipines, jumped with him later in CA and then he came to my DZ in Temple a lot during the 20 years I owned it. Never a finer man or Marine. I trained a lot of the SEALS in Subic and most of them knew and spoke highly of Ed.
Shortly before his passing I talked with Ed at Mike Wares Memorial, he knew his fate and was good with it. He knew he'd had a good life.
With this note I'd like to take a moment to day HI to you also Nanc, it's been 26 years since we jumped together in Seoul. I hope you are well.
Blue Skies,
Saeko & Rich Worrall
[email protected]

I meet him at Lost Prairie a couple of years ago. Didn't know about his background only that he was a Marine. We talked for a bit and when he learned I was a Marine at one point in my life he gave me a Marine Corps sticker that I wear on my Z1 helmet. It means a lot more to me now that I know his background.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

"All these were honoured in their generations, and were the glory of their times."

I can't claim Ed Miller as a close friend, but he was part of the world of Skydiving in So. Cal. in the '70s at Elsinore along with so many others who are no longer with us. It was a special time for me and I am greatful to have known them.

The poet, A. E. Houseman, who had never heard of our sport, wrote what could be taken as an epitaph for any of them:

From far, from eve and morning
And yon twelve-winded sky,
The stuff of life to knit me
Blew hither: here am I.

Now-- for a breath I tarry
Nor yet disperse apart--
Take my hand quick and tell me,
What have you in your heart.

Speak now, and I will answer;
How shall I help you, say;
Ere to the wind's twelve quarters
I take my endless way.

I have only just learned of Ed Miller's passing. I am truly sad to learn of this. Ed was a qualified U.S. Marine Corps parachute rigger in 4th Force Recon. Co., located in San Bernardino, CA in 1961. I was a young lieutenant and a platoon cmdr. He was terrific then and went on to be a truly successful Marine Corps Officer and Lt. Col. We were very good friends. It is a terrible loss.

Vic Bianchini
Colonel, USMC (Ret.)