swovelin

Pat Swovelin BSBD

It is with great sadness that I must report the passing of Patrick James Swovelin, the original "Skygod." Pat was a brother, husband, father, a 40+ year skydiver, and a friend to many. He will be missed by all. Information on services will be forthcoming. Rest in peace brother.

Blue skyz Pat, don't know what else to say. I remember when....the otter was a relatively new beast at Perris and we were going to chuck an 8way donut flake from the door. Pat was a flaker inside at the back of the door and I was the flaker at the front.....Oh my! will this work??....ready set GO! and we're off! We're flying.....it worked!... I'm thinkin',..."WE BAD!!" and I'm hearing it at the same time!....Pat's grinning from ear to ear and yelling,"WE BAD!!"......Fly on Pat, you're probably docking on that Big Star between Gary and Kevin.....look for Dirty Ed smilin at ya'.....Blue skyz Brother.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I'm so very sorry to hear about Pat. He was a good friend and will be sorely missed. I loved his panoramic photography. Please keep me in the loop regarding the services.:(

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Jerry I am so sorry to hear about this. I was just thinking about Pat the other day as he was going to be my back up webmaster for the Air Trash Home Page if something ever happened to me. This is very sad to hear and also very surprising.

R.I.P. Pat.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

It was June 20, 1981, when a 4-Way team, 4-D, broke the World Record for most points in time with 17 points in 35 seconds! I believe we all bought beer!

Seems like Pat has always been there. Our skydiving family has lost a wonderful member and our hearts and prayers are with all the Swovelins.

Bob and Judy

I will always remember the Swovelin Brothers when they came out to make their first jump. They fit in instantly and I can't remember which was the craziest. Then they got into freefall photography...I remember Pat always helping us girls...Pat you will be missed by soooo many people. Jerry my heart goes out to you and your family...RIP Pat...The star up their just gained another great skydiver...:(

Sandy

Aw shucks! What a bummer.

Pat and I flew out to El Mirage dry lake bed around 2005 just after dawn. We landed and taxied up to the SCTA (Southern Ca Timers Assn) parking, got photographer's passes and proceeded to pour over the salt flat cars, bikes and characters amassed there. We had so much fun just shooting the shit with so many different people and I thoroughly enjoyed the day with him. Needless to say he took some marvelous panorama shots that were stunning. It was really an enjoyable time to get to know him in a different dimension. What a pro. We had lots of fun skydiving too but the dawn patrol to the lake bed stuck with me more.

RIP Pat.

jon

Patrick will be missed by all. It was way to soon for him to leave us. My heart and prayers to his family, Lisa, Alana and Preston, Jerry and Barbie. God Bless you all. Knowing Patrick, he's having a safety meeting as we speak!!!! RIP my Sky-Bud, Mentor, and friend. Miss you already.
BSBD......
Chris

My hamster is loose on the keyboard and typing to you ...

How do I say Thank You Pat for all the skydives, the inspiration, the friendship you gave me. The same for Betty (the boss).

Our love to Lisa, Preston and Alana. Jerry and Barbi too.

Blueskys, Fairwinds to an original Elsinore Skygod.

. . . more later

Bill & Betty Davis

ps... enclosed is a picture of Pat taken through Jerry's arm at the Old Farts Meet in the desert; Oct 2004.
Blueskys & Fairwinds
.. grayeagle (bill davis)
.... 1st jump 1961
...... scr97

My condolences to you and all your family.

I'm not sure I can frame the words which encompass the passing of since a long time friend. I've known you all for more than 35 years and I can't express the whole this leaves. [:/]

Blue Skies

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Dear Friends: I'm sorry that I neglected to include any details about Pat's passing. No much is known at this time, other than it was simply due to natural causes. Pat's wonderful daughter Alanna came to check on him last night (Monday 5/21), she found him in bed, seemingly asleep, but alas that was not the case. Services are being planned. Thank you all for your kind words. BSBD.

My sympathies to Pat's fabulous family. I met him through Deanna Kent and Pat always had something witty, curious, funny, interesting, hopeful and intriguing to share. Though I n'er got to skydive with Pat, he showed me a whole lot about the sport and photography. For him and his exuberant zest for life and the joy he exuded in sharing it, I am ever appreciative. Best wishes to Pat's family. A life well lived, the dash is infinity for Pat. Celebrate life.

SkyJulia
A16070

It is with great sadness that I must report the passing of Patrick James Swovelin, the original "Skygod." Pat was a brother, husband, father, a 40+ year skydiver, and a friend to many. He will be missed by all. Information on services will be forthcoming. Rest in peace brother.

:(

On the bright side, here's a shining example of Pat's editing work.
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

My gosh! I am so sorry to hear this. Pat and I used to jump together in Thailand when he was a kid, just begining and I was a younger guy. My thoughts and best wishes go out to all of his family.

Dear Friends: Thank you all for your wonderful support through this difficult time. Everything is coming together for a a fitting tribute to the Late, Great, Much-Beloved Pat Swovelin. (Pat would copyright that phrase, I'm sure.)

The Celebration of Pat's Life will be on Sunday July 1 at Perris Valley DZ. EVERYONE IS WELCOME. Please bring your best 'Patrick Story' and join us for a day of memorial skydives, tandem jumps by his kids, Alanna & Preston, along with food & drink, speechifying & bad jokes, camaraderie & love.

We hope that you can attend the Patrick Life Celebration in person; if not, please join us in spirit on that day. Please be so kind as to RSVP (even if it's a maybe) to [email protected]. Potential lurkers for the actual memorial flower-drop skydives should likewise apply to that address (and get current!)

Also, FYI, Pat will be interred next week at the Riverside National Cemetery. The VA has not yet provided the date (I'll post that as son as I know). NOTE: This is a military funeral and space is limited; close friends are welcome, of course, but we must get you on the official list prior to the event. Please contact the family and we'll see if we can work you in: [email protected].

In closing, let me say once again a most heartfelt "Thank you!" to all of you. Your touching comments and support give honor to the memory of my brother, the Late, Great, Much-Beloved Pat Swovelin (Copyright pending ;)).

Hey everyone, we finally have a date for Pat's services! Yeaa! Pat will be interred at Riverside National Cemetery on Monday June 11 at 1:30 pm. This is a military ceremony, so if you want to attend, get in touch with me (Jerry) and I'll get you on the 'official' list. Also, don't forget that the larger "gathering of the tribe" is scheduled for Sunday July 1 at Perris Valley DZ (let me know if you want to go on the memorial skydive). Blues, Jerry