chuckakers

Curly Roe

Chuck, Curly jumped Spaceland in the 80's when it was in League City? Heck of a nice guy, always took the time with us new guys to pass along hs knowledge.

Yes, that's right. Curly was one of the good guys and always ready to help the noobs.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Well that's hard to hear.

He really was one of the good guys.

He used to come over to Hillsy's dropzone
in Oklahoma.

He was not only really good with students,
he was colorful, entertaining, a good story
teller, and deep. A very perceptive guy.

One by one, they're leaving, one by one.

Skr

Curly was a great guy and a big help to me during my early days as a brand new AFF JM/I. Spent a lot of time talking to him late in the evening over a beer about techniques, how to teach, etc. He was really kind of a legend in the area.

Rest in Peace and Blue Skies.

I had the pleasure of jumping with Curly at the old Spaceland. We did a few TEXXAS 20-Ways among other jumps. I'm enclosing a picture of Curly. He is the jumper kneeling in the from row with the tan jumpsuit second from the right next to the girl in the grey jumpsuit.

Curly was also a storyteller and would sing some of the funniest skydiving songs. I remember and old CRW song he sung to the tune of 'Side by Side" "All you jumpers take warning. When all the big stacks are forming. If the f___er falls down, the bodies were found, Side by Side"

Curly also was a fine instructor and would always have something positive and comical to put in the student's logbooks of whom he trained.

He was also a diehard ripcord fan and I do not know if he ever went to hand deploy.

Lots of memories and things to write about Curly. In closing though I would like to say Blue Skies my friend, It was a sincere pleasure knowing you and jumping with you. Thank you for all the contributions you made in training students and to the sport we all love. Blue Skies.

Calen Chrzan
D-12700
Dallas, TX

Curly was one of the AFF examiners in the course I was certified in in 1990 but I'd known him since 1979. On one particular eval jump I was on, he played the role of an extremely jealous husband who was constantly interrupting the ground instruction portion trying to check on his "wife" to see if she was flirting with the other guys. Well, after the jump, he threw his gear off and ran to his car saying something about "killing that worthless bitch" and returned screaming and wild eyed to the packing area brandishing a .45 automatic demanding to know where his "cheatin' ass wife" had gone. The man really loved his work.:D

RIP Curly

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Hi Keith... good to hear from you, and what a VERY NICE LETTER.... Your Comments about your little girl were Very Very Touching...
IF I have Every Made any Contribution to the sport, it is bound to be through "Passing it on to the Next and Subsequent Generations..."
Hopefully, a Few Wild Stories and Big Ass Lies Will MAKE THEIR WAY Through the TRUTH, and find their way to Another GROUP of Jumpers down the road....
Hope I get to See you on the Other Side :-)

Curly

31 fucking years..,
Well, Curly, I'm sorry you had to leave us, but I'm glad for having known you.
I'm sure you and Terry and several others are tearing it up right now. RIP man, RIP.

Curly's SCR Ceremony Dedication .
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

He and Pete were joint partners in Green Country Skydivers.
Pete ran Skiatook and Curly ran Salisaw.
He would come up on occasion.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

He and Pete were joint partners in Green Country Skydivers.
Pete ran Skiatook and Curly ran Salisaw.
He would come up on occasion.

Then yep I knew him. He came up to KC for AFF evals. What a character! Sorry to hear he's passed on.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Yeah, he was a quite a character. In one of his last email missives, he kept ranting about coming down and check the nurses as they had quite lovely...

Well, he never gave up. :D

@ John & Chuck.

Pete Morris is loading up the facebook pages with pics from the old days and there's quite a few from Spaceland.