leapdog

Ed Ristaino

My father, Ed Ristaino, is survived by my step mother, my brother, my two children, my aunt, my two uncles, my aunt in law, my 5 cousins. And tons of great friends on the skydiving and hot air ballooning community.

He died a hero saving the lives of 5 jumpers and being an aviator. When asked how he felt about the risk of passing in doing either jumping or piloting, the response was always "Then I will have died doing what I love."

Services information will be posted on my wall on face book.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Many thoughts and positive vibes headed to you and your family. Your father died a hero and will never be forgotten. For myself and many others he was the pilot for my first balloon jump. A very fond and vivid memory that would not have been the same without him. My deepest condolences. BSBD

So sorry for the loss of your Dad. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I didn't hear any negative comments about him the entire time I was in Fitzgerald. That alone says a lot about the type of man he was and you are certainly correct that he died a hero.
My deepest condolences to you and your family.
BSBD, Ed.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I jumped the second load of Friday morning with your father. It was my first balloon jump and he was as excited about it as I was. I'll never forget him pointing at one of the ropes coming off the balloon and telling me that I could swing out on it for the best rope swing ride in the world. I decided to just fall off as I thought I'd be able to do the rope swing tomorrow...

His love for ballooning and skydiving was obvious and contagious. On the van ride to the launch point he talked about skydiving with his son with a big grin on his face...

It was the best jump of my life and one of my best experiences ever...I'm infinitely grateful for meeting him and experiencing it with him.

BSBD Ed.

I've known him for years and flown with him many a time.

My girlfriend and I were staying at the same hotel as him for the boogie. He took her for her first balloon ride last year. When I was loading my gear into the car for a late start Friday afternoon saw him out in the grass next to the parking lot packing his rig. We started chatting and I found out he was packing to loan his rig to a friend and he had just gotten them back from you.. He mentioned he had his knees replaced over the summer and did some skiing this winter to test them. We talked about skydiving, skiing, and just life in general. Ed being Ed would have kept talking for hours but I was wanting to get to the DZ to jump which he sensed so we ended our conversation, both assuming we'd chat later.

Blue Skies Forever Ed and so sorry for your family's loss. Hopefully the fact he not only died a hero doing something he loved brings some comfort.

My girlfriend emailed me the link to the news story yesterday. I sat on a bench and read it on my phone three or four times over. Your dad saved the lives of several people. It doesn't get any more noble than that. I hope you find some comfort in the fact that people who didn't even know him were thinking about what a hero your dad was.

I did not know your father. Had a friend or two at the boogie, and so when I read the news article on the internet it drew my attention.

Your Dad's courageous act saved people's lives. I will not soon forget his name or his story.

As you and your family go through this painful, challenging time, may you find comfort and support in the love of those around you -- and, if it helps you, in the arms of the Divine presence.

From Facebook:

Funeral information for Ed:

His funeral will be Sunday in Huntersville, NC at the Raymer-Kepner Funeral Home. Visitation from 1pm to 3pm, Service at 3pm. (704) 892-9669.
I've gotten permission from his son for all to attend, lets show our support people! If you jumped out of Ed's balloon that weekend and are able to make it to NC, please attend.

The funds from the fund below will go to the church where the search command post was and it will also go to the county search and rescue angency for updated equipment and new equipment to help them do thier jobs better and faster.

Funeral Home

You can also contribute to the: Ed Ristaino Memorial Fund

Colony Bank of Fitzgerald
PO Box 1029
Fitzgerald, GA 31750
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It is my understanding that they are also planning to release helium balloons with the words "For Ed" written on them at 7:30pm Friday and would like people to do the same wherever their location in the country in honor of his memory.

I have jumped out of Ed's balloon at least half a dozen times and he was a fantastic pilot. Damien, I am terribly sorry for your loss. His last act was truly brave and selfless. BSBD Ed. I wish it had turned out differently.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I am so sorry for the passing of your wonderful father. I hope that you, and your extended family all have tremendous comfort knowing that many people, jumpers and their families are incredibly lucky and blessed for having had your dad as the pilot in charge on that fateful flight!
RIP Ed. You will be remembered for many generations!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

It is my understanding that they are also planning to release helium balloons with the words "For Ed" written on them at 7:30pm Friday and would like people to do the same wherever their location in the country in honor of his memory.

This is true- please pass the word to everywhere you can.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I don't remember specifically speaking/ writing with skymama specifically, but yes all are welcome. Just remember that huntersville, nc is a small town and the funeral home where the services are may not accommodate hundreds. He was part if the balloon community and skydiving there are work friends and other. Might be really full just a warning that you may be waiting outside by still come if you want.

my sincerest condolences to you and your family. Ed was a good guy. very likable. when you were in his balloon he would come out of left field with random stories that seemed random but in the end tied up whatever we were yapping about at the time. i was in his basket 3 diff times in 3 diff years and as many states. i was also on the first load of his final load of 10 jumpers.

the weather was near perfect and we landed on the dz without incident.

i was very saddened to hear about this some time after our jump. it hurts my soul.

i shared some of the happiest moments of my life in ed's basket. he shared one of his last happy moments with me.

BSBD good buddy. your already missed.

-agent.
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

Your father was an amazing person. He had a great laugh that made us all laugh. I had the privilege of jumping from his balloon twice in Fitzgerald both 2009 and 2010. He welcomed jumpers with a smile and made us feel safe while piloting. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you are most proud of him. Here is my picture of him filling the balloon in 2010.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Thank you all for your kind words. Please take a look at this link, Like and write to the agency. The pass along so that others may have a chance to write if they wish.

Thanks-

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leap-Dogs-parachute-Demonstration-Team/126473891444#!/EdRistainoForThePresidentialCitizensMedal

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-president-of-the-united-states-postumously-award-the-presidential-citizens-medal-to-ed-ristaino
A petition has been started to nominate Ed Ristaino for the presidential citizens award. Please take a few seconds to sign and share with everyone you know. Then encourage them to share as well. We are almost at 1000 signatures but will need way more.

Thanks in advance for helping make this a reality.

Tabs to read a news article and a letter that will accompany the petition are there to read.