doogie

Jim "Farmer" Johnson 1949-2011

Farmer has lost his 3.5+ year battle with cancer. He passed last night while in hospice care at the Alden complex in Aurora/IL.

There won't be a formal visitation or funeral. Farmer only wanted there to be a life celebration party after his passing. His daughter, Krista, will be planning that soon. I will post those details here when available.

For those friends scattered around the country that may not have known all that has taken place, Farmer had been diagnosed with a glioblastoma -- the type of brain cancer that got the late Senator Kennedy. He had his first tumor removed by Northwestern University in downtown Chicago. The recurrences took their toll on him but his toughness enabled him to fight this for 3 years longer than typical for this particular type of cancer.

Farmer's spirit for education and sharing of knowledge continued throughout his battle with this disease. Once diagnosed, he eagerly took on the role of "lab rat" and worked with the hospital on trying treatments and now that he has passed, his body will be sent directly to Northwestern so the doctors there can learn what they can from him. His remains will then be cremated.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the party! :)
Doogie

Tom, even though you know I won't argue against your point, that was just one very small period of his life (in hindsight, I probably should have wrote 'Hinckley airport' instead of 'old DZ' for party location reference).

Let's please take this opportunity to remember how he spent his whole lifetime reaching out and helping everyone who was lucky enough to cross any of the multitude of paths his life had taken. He will be missed by so many....

Doogie

Farmer always took the time to help someone "get to know your gear". Spent many days with me as a friend and a great rigger.

Then this would be one and the same "Farmer" who shared his rigging tools with me one day in 1998 (or so) at the old Skydive Illinois in Morris? Sorry, I only remember him by that name. RIP bro.

So sorry to hear, another one of the great old guys from our area. Will definitely try to make it to the celebration. BSBD Farmer...
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

That was an awesome party yesterday! It was amazing who came out of the woodwork!:)
For those of you who hadn't talked to Farmer recently, you may not have known that he'd been working on a book. After he was diagnosed with cancer, he started writing about his life and in the process, learned how to use a computer and start writing in ms-word!

He had gotten virtually all the content he wanted to down in writing before he lost the strength to finish off his manuscript.

There were a couple printed copies at the party yesterday with a sign-up sheet for anyone wanting their own copy.

For anyone who didn't have a chance to write their email address before I took the sign-up sheet, or for anyone else out there who wasn't at the party and is interested, please shoot me a PM here on dropzone.com with your email address and I will send it to you.

I've got a few very busy days in front of me right now, but later this week I'll take all the requesting email addresses I've received to that point and send out the .pdf file.

Doogie