rinaldi524

Ted Strong D-16

Ted Strong D-16

4/7/1936-10/14/2011

A visionary from the beginning and a man with an enormous heart passed away on Friday.

There are too many stories to write about the legend that is Ted Strong. Ted strived to improve the industry that he loved without seeking fame or credit. He just wanted a safer and more inviting environment for everybody to enjoy and experience skydiving the way he did.

Ted Strong started skydiving in 1958, entered the US Army in 1959 with 100 jumps, and was stationed at the United States Military Academy at West Point, NY for two years. His duty there was to coach the USMA Cadet Parachute Team and the West Point Sport Parachute Club. In 1961 Ted started Strong Enterprises, a parachute company in his parents basement. He began by modifying round parachutes, sewing and making anything his friends needed to skydive. A friend once said “ Ted Strong’s company wasn’t there to make money, but to make parachutes for his friends” This quote personified Ted.

The industry and the world has lost a wonderful person and those that knew him will miss him dearly. Those that never had the pleasure of meeting him will feel his influence anytime they make a skydive.

Ted Strong D-16

4/7/1936-10/14/2011

A visionary from the beginning and a man with an enormous heart passed away on Friday.

There are too many stories to write about the legend that is Ted Strong. Ted strived to improve the industry that he loved without seeking fame or credit. He just wanted a safer and more inviting environment for everybody to enjoy and experience skydiving the way he did.

Ted Strong started skydiving in 1958, entered the US Army in 1959 with 100 jumps, and was stationed at the United States Military Academy at West Point, NY for two years. His duty there was to coach the USMA Cadet Parachute Team and the West Point Sport Parachute Club. In 1961 Ted started Strong Enterprises, a parachute company in his parents basement. He began by modifying round parachutes, sewing and making anything his friends needed to skydive. A friend once said “ Ted Strong’s company wasn’t there to make money, but to make parachutes for his friends” This quote personified Ted.

The industry and the world has lost a wonderful person and those that knew him will miss him dearly. Those that never had the pleasure of meeting him will feel his influence anytime they make a skydive.

A loss... Big time. I met Ted long ago @ Z-Hills. BS, Ted.

Ted was a longtime friend and colleague. This is incredibly sad and unexpected. Does anyone have any information as to how he died?

This is posted in the PaPa Victor on facebook...

Ilona Helwig "i was in shock when I called his Co. Didn't ask for details... heard that he was testing a quad system..three got off...Ted didn't."

eta - A full-on tragic loss.

I got to meet him twice - once, he came to our little DZ in Seagoville, TX - later that same weekend, I ran into him again at, of all places, a cat show in Dallas.

Blue ones to you, Ted...thank you for everything you did for the sport, and for my first container, the Strong Eagle.

Wow!! Another friend in about a month. First Skip, now Ted. I just called the Pepperell DZ and passed the word. They had not heard. Many there had worked for Ted in the early 70s. Ted checked me out and cleared me for "ups" back in '71 though he followed me out "a bit close, near clouds". D-1 was flying.

Ted, you will be missed.

Ted was a longtime friend and colleague. This is incredibly sad and unexpected. Does anyone have any information as to how he died?

This is posted in the PaPa Victor on facebook...

Ilona Helwig "i was in shock when I called his Co. Didn't ask for details... heard that he was testing a quad system..three got off...Ted didn't."

So was it a skydiving incident?

Big loss, thanks Ted.

AWWWWW SHIT! One of my _True_ Hero's is gone.

My best memory with Ted was at PIA 2005 and some friends set me up, (unbeknownst to me) for a job interview with him. We talked about some interesting projects I had done and he asked "What kind of equipment do you have in your loft?" I proceeded to list off the two dozen machines and various tool I have. His response was, "Not many guy's are set up like you in the field." I said, "Well Ted, if you want to do factory repairs, ya kinda have to have a factory, right?" then he rubbed his hands together a bit and smiled, "I've never heard it put quite like that, but that's _good_!"
I was thrilled by the compliment from one of the real pioneers of sport parachuting. Ted I know wherever you are you will bringing out the best of everyone around you.
Thanks for the influence, I hope I can live up to it.

Another horribly sad & tragic loss in skydiving !
Though everyone is personally affected by losing a friend & collegues, this will absolutely affects everyone !
My husband & I had the opportunity in meeting him with many other admirable friends & jumpers with The Liberty Parachute Team, during Oshkosh Airventures, & vendor party each year held at Skydive Adventure in Omro, WI.
We knew him to be a respected & a respectful, great guy & contributor to the success in the biz/ sport !
The date Oct. 14th will now be remembered as bittersweet for me personally, in skydiving...the date of my 1st skydive 5 years ago, on a Strong Tandem System & the gear my husband has jumped & I have professionally packed the past 5 years !
Our condolences & prayers go out to his family & skyfamily.
Unfortunately we will be saying good bye to another great friend & skydiving mentor, tomorrow.
Bill Bayley, a long time instructor & the 1st to throw my husband out 10 years ago, died Friday !
~ Peaceful Eternal Flights, Ted ~
~ Peaceful Eternal Flights, Bill ~
you will both be remembered & missed, in all our lives, throughout all our days...
Brad & Julie Badtke:(
***BlueSkies & Safe Landings to you all ***

I'm just sitting here stunned, having just now heard about the accident. I know that in the coming weeks I'm going to think about calling him or sending him an email, and then remembering that I can't. We had so much about parachutes to talk about.

Ted, gave and gave some more, to the sport, the industry, and the military.
For 50 years.
I will miss him so much.

RIP, and thanks for my first main and container, my beloved Starlite.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think the first time I met Ted, or at least the first time I spent any time with him, was in 1993. I knew his wife Marcie from my home DZ in MI. I was going to be in Orlando for the PIA symposium and she suggested getting together and having dinner with her and Ted. We had great discussion at dinner and Ted was more than interested in the opinions of a basement rigger and weekend jumper. Ted had been given passes to the recently opened wind tunnel and said why don't we go over and try it out. We did. I hadn't been in a wind tunnel and neither had Ted. I got in first and flailed around trying to figure out the wind. Ted got in and turned style like he was still competing.

Over the years though PIA and in other ways Ted was always a gentleman (while still being a skydiver, with all that means, at the same time). In August at the last PIA business meeting Ted was very engaged in many things, including the rigging committee. Always voicing his Strong (pun intended) opinions in that booming voice.

Another among those who will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers to Marcie.

Fly high Ted.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE