jtval

James "FONZ" Fonnesbeck

It is with great sorrow that I bid you farewell you were a great friend and mentor.

Fonz, the last time we spoke you said a few words to me that I have reflected upon ever since. I am happy to have known you and appreciate the energizing words you left me with. Unfortunately, you'll never know how much that casual conversation meant to me. Again, Thank you for your friendship and mentorship. I only hope I can be so inspiring someday.

If you're just reading this see the incident thread for incoming information.
My photos

My Videos

BSBD Fonz!!!

It was truly a pleasure to know you. I loved listening to your stories and hearing you teach students.

The picture of your 70's area wingsuit is classic and should be in a frame in the DZ hangar.

You lived it!!!! Fly free!
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

I met Fonz and Jean last weekend in Mesquite. They were so warm and friendly that I felt like an old friend right away. I've been telling my friends about this incredible person I met who has 11,000 jumps in a career going back to 1968. Knowing that I'm fairly new to the sport, Fonz was giving me safety advice on the plane ride up. I'm shocked and deeply saddened by this tragedy. My heart goes out to his family and the family of the student.

Unbelievable.:(

To Jim's wife Jean, our deepest condolences.

John Mitchell

You know, Jim was here just a month or so ago and I COULD have jumped with him but I was busy, blah blah blah.

I would really like to have that day back,
Onward and Upward!

:(:(:(:( I feel privileged to have known Fonz if even for a little while. My heart is breaking for Jean and the family of the student as well as everyone in Mesquite. This just sucks......:(

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Damn , I've known jim for 30 years and jumped with him many hundreds of times , I never ever thought he would go out this way. We learned tandem together and as somebody posted earlier....he was rock solid , I learned a lot from his years of experience.. Go easy bro , you will be missed "

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I believe Fonz lived this quote.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'WOW . . . That was one Hell of a ride!' "

Fonz always had an amazing attitude with a smile on his face...You couldn't help but be in a good mood when around him. We all will miss you.

I was sitting around the DZ this summer, and I think it was a Sunday, cause Fonz wasn't husseling doing tandems, and we were just talking for a minute, but we were talking about his wife. I honestly don't remember what it was that she had just accomplished, but it was something skydiving/jump related. He was just telling me how proud he was of her. It was very sweet and something I will always remember. Fonz is someone, if my mom were ever going to jump...that's who would have taken her! I will miss seeing his smile at the DZ. :(

This pic is John (my husband in red) and one of our customers who won a skydive (from us), with Fonz as the TI. Summer 2010

To borrow a line from Squeak...MY LIFE ROCKS!! HOW'S YOURS??!!!

I found this in History and Trivia. James is next to last on the right.

We last visited with James and Jean at LP. Always liked jumping or just chatting with them.

Wrong. Fonnesbeck is in the bib overalls.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Damn , I've known jim for 30 years and jumped with him many hundreds of times , I never ever thought he would go out this way. We learned tandem together and as somebody posted earlier....he was rock solid , I learned a lot from his years of experience.. Go easy bro , you will be missed "

Sorry about the loss. :(

mh