33zulu

Strange Dave

I never met him but he looks like the kind of guy (character) I would have liked. Much like, Dennis Anderson in a previous post. Another skydiving brother, motorcyclist, or rigger, living a parallel universe from mine.

We had 'Sketchy Dave' Peterson here in San Diego who is gone now too. Skydiver, photographer, friend, and dropzone character. We are all enriched by their lives and their presence.

Blue skies, to Strange Dave.

Dave jumped in Coolidge Arizona in the mid to late 1970's. He was one of the El Paso Texas crowd.

We did a Demo in 1977 in Chiwawa Mexico, all the food, beer and tequila was free---no one got arrested.

;)

I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Yup, he was jumping here in El Paso. Jumped in Coolidge, too, through the mid 80's. You were on that Chihuahua demo? Cool! Later we did that in Casas Grandes, Chih. The head honcho at the airport insisted on us drinking Tecates between jumps. We had to oblige, of course. He did have a "pistola" strapped to his waist.

More background on Strange Dave from his obit:

David Michael "Kasey" Kasehagen, 61, passed quietly in his sleep on Sunday, August 14th, 2011 at his home in Alamogordo, New Mexico. He was born on August 17, 1949 in Hammond, Louisiana, to Moses F. (Buddy) Chatellier, Jr., and Ruby Maxine (Barlow) Chatellier Kasehagen.

He was a resident of Otero County, New Mexico since 1964. He loved the mountains and enjoyed hunting, trail riding and camping. His special interest was skydiving. He made his first jump in Alamogordo, NM when he was 18, a passion that he had had since he was 12. He turned his passion for skydiving into his career. During his 27 years at Holloman AFB, he served as a FAA Master Parachute Rigger / Life Support Technician for the 49th Fighter Wing. He earned a Master's Riggers license in 1972 and received numerous awards for his devotion to rigging, jumping, and ensuring the safety of service men and women. He was an avid teacher and mentor to anyone who wanted to learn about the joy of flight without the constraints of an airplane.

He received many other awards including the Order of the Arrow from the Boy Scouts of America. In the summer of 1967, he received a certificate of appreciation from the Green Beret 6th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Company B for survival training. He also received the National Civilian of the Year commendation for his service to the United States Air Force.

He dedicated his life to his family; survivors include his wife, Roxanne and daughter, Alycia, of Alamogordo, NM; mother, Maxine Kasehagen of Alamogordo, NM; sisters, Laurin Kasehagen Robinson of Omaha, NE, and Lucretia Chatellier Edwards of Madisonville, LA; brothers, Glenn Chatellier Kasehagen of Ruidoso, NM, Michael Chatellier, Moses Chatellier, and Jewell Chatellier of Madisonville, LA; and, numerous nieces and nephews.

David was preceded in death by his father, Buddy Moses.

A memorial service will be held at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, August 23, 2011, at the Alamogordo Funeral Home Chapel located at 2301 First Street in Alamogordo, NM with Chuck Moon officiating.

Should family and friends desire, contributions may be made to UNM Cancer Research at the University of New Mexico Foundation, Casa Esperanza, or the St. Joseph's Indian School.

The Kasehagen family has entrusted their loved one to the care of Alamogordo Funeral Home to direct the arrangements. Cremation will take place locally at PCS.

Wow, I was 12 years old when I met KC, I used to ride my bike to the DZ every weekend. Pulling tension, chasing cutaways, that's what I did... I hung out with the cool skydivers. I remember that jumpsuit, and the rigging loft he called the "gurstenshlogger". My bike is just out of view to the left.... Fly Free KC! Pressurize it!