Spiker

William E. "Gene" Ritchie

I received notice this morning that William E. "Gene" Ritchie died on August 7, 2011. Gene was born September 26, 1932 in Stratford, OK and died near his residence in Kerrville, TX. Gene is survived by his wife of 40 years, June.

Gene was D-256 and was accredited with starting numerous skydiving clubs throughout the years, including Ft. Hood Skydivers, Ranger Skydivers at Deland, FL to name a few.

I have a attached a few photos of our years together at Ft. Hood Skydiving Club.

The only thing I miss about jumping rounds is getting driven into the ground like a stake.

POP'S 9817 SOS 1172

Hi Keith,

Based upon the left mounted main ripcords & the bloused jumpsuits, I would guess early 60's.

By the mid-to-late 60's most of that had changed.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Interesting, in the the 3rd photo ( I think ) one guy has a left mounted outboard pull; probably a left-handed person.

Blue skies to Gene, have a great respect for the pioneers in our sport.

Is it me or does the guy with his back to us in the first pic have a P.O.B. over the reserve handle? The one with the reserve hanging to the right side. I think I remember folks doing that when transporting, but not geared up of course?

Blue skies Gene

You are correct we all use to lock in the reserve handles till we hit the DZ . If one was pulled on the ground it cost you a case of beer also one if you lost a ripcord. If you look at the team pic in front of the HU1-B see an early camera helmet as of 1961 wind up keystone....Ken

The only thing I miss about jumping rounds is getting driven into the ground like a stake.

POP'S 9817 SOS 1172