Douggarr

Ray Finneran, Blue Skies

I just saw a post from The Ranch that mentioned the passing of Ray Finneran, on April 29th. Anyone who has ever been in a jump plane and heard the war cry, "Sha-Wan-Ga, Fly Baby Fly," should appreciate that Ray originated the chant. I jumped with him a lot in the old days -- at Sha-Wan-Ga -- and at Stormville and The Ranch. He was one of the greats in the sport. He once told all his relatives not to have any celebrations on the weekends -- no communions, birthday parties, weddings, etc. -- because he wouldn't be there. RIP, Ray, and condolences to his family.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Anyone who has ever been in a jump plane and heard the war cry, "Sha-Wan-Ga, Fly Baby Fly," should appreciate that Ray originated the chant. I jumped with him a lot in the old days -- at Sha-Wan-Ga -- and at Stormville and The Ranch.

You forgot the goat noise, or was that not part of the original chant? ;)

Does anyone know the story of how that started? If so, this would be a perfect place to share it. :)
Blue Skies forever...

Met Ray once, at the 1977 Z-Hills Easter Boogie.
We were a bunch of newbies and we flailed miserably on the one jump Ray made with us. But he was all smiles about it. A truly nice guy, I'm sorry to hear of yet another good one gone.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Ray was the first guy to sign up for the "tour group"
going from Los Angeles to New Zealand for the first
world 10-man meet in 1970.

Clarice knew a jumper at Elsinore whose mother
organized tour groups so he became the tour group
leader and we spread the word. I can't think how
we did that now since there was no internet yet.

Every country who had made a 10-man was invited
to send a team. That was Australia, New Zealand,
Canada, the U.S. and England.

Ray was a really colorful and interesting guy.

We crossed paths many times at various boogies
and other shindigs over the years.

I bet the Great Party in the Sky up yonder just
got a lot more interesting :-) :-)

Skr

Just saw this, and it kindled a lot of old memories of jumps I made with him in the 70's when I lived in Rhode Island
before I moved to Hawaii. I think he made it out here in the late 70's or early 80's to one of our boogies because he
got the Sha-Wan-Ga going here for a bit. He was a character and spiced up any party back in the day.

Fly on Ray!
Flip

I was looking around, trying to find out where Ray was these days, when I came across this thread. So sorry to hear it - he was definitely one of the good guys.

We got our WSCR together at Turkey Meet in '75. I first met him when I was jumping at ShaWanGa in the fall of '74. Two 182's...Curt and Rudy, I believe, were the pilots of that downhill-takeoff dropzone :P

In fact, that winter and that drop zone is why I moved and have always lived in the southern latitudes of the US since then!!

RIP, Ray...fly free!!

Dana (Morrison then) Handbury