mjosparky

Kevin Donnelly

This one is a hard one to take. As you know Mike, Kevin was a great friend to both my brother Paul and I for over 45 years. I talked to Kevin two weeks ago to see if he wanted to go out to dinner while I was down in So Cal to get a re-pack on my reserve and have him do some work on the container he gave me last year. Kevin was on his way out the door to go visit Willy Mombo, so we said we would get together in a month or two.

I don't have any more words right now.

Dennis

Wow, what a bummer.....

I still have a copy of parachutist with the coverage of his stearman to stearman jumps back in the day and in a clown suit too, he had "the right stuff".

Blue skies brother.....
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Kevin was one of the first people I met in the So. Cal skydiving circle years ago. I carry the fondest of memories regarding the man who welcomed me, and took me on so many memorable sunset jumps.

Blue Skies Kevin and thank you.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

OMG I don't believe it. I was just talking to him on the phone last week. He was going to buy another house in Verdi, near Reno, and invited me up to go fishing. What a shock.

I first met Kevin, so long ago, at the Elsinore Rumbleseat one night when he came in with a cast on his leg roaring, "Does anybody have a hacksaw!" I cut his cast off and we proceeded to have few pitchers then jumped the next day. And for many years after.

He made me a Pope.

So long my friend,
Blueskys & Fairwinds
.. grayeagle (bill davis)
.... 1st jump 1961
...... scr97

I learned of this in a FaceBook chat with Jan Meyer last night...Jerry Bourquin came from Az to attend Don's Ashdive at Perris, (which was WX delayed til the 30th). Jerry went to Kevins house after being at Perris and Kevin didn't answer the door. Jerry then called 911. They found Kevin inside, deceased. Very shocking. Kevin was such a good guy and will be missed by all that got the chance to meet him...
I think at our age we are losing many of the all time greats and pioneers of this sport. Kevin was both..
Blue Skies to you Kevin, hope you had a safe journey.
That Star up there just got a little brighter...
Sandy

Hi Mike and all,
I'm in shock. Kevin was a great guy. 'First met him when I got to CA in '67 when I was in the Canoe Club. He came out here to Raeford for the Old Farts reunion in '08. Last I visited with him. That Star up there.....just grew by one more. Fly on Kevin.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Kevin's passing is such a loss for all of the skydiving community. His work made our sport visible in so many exciting ways to the rest of the world--made us proud to be able to share our magnificent sport.

Kevin, I'm going to miss our entertaining and gossipy conversations on the Sunday drives to the range. You're such a great storyteller! Who's going to keep those dogs in the backseat now?? Say "Hi" to Gary for us! Farewell, dear friend.

Got the word last night from Jan Meyer and it saddens me a great deal. Kevin was on my first RW jump off student status back in the static line and T10 days. John Campbell was also on the dive with us and took the photo so Kevin and I are seen clearly in the photo on the 3 way. I'll have to get that photo scanned now.

It's a shame to get this kind of news on the same day that we memorialized Don Henderson. Kevin was a great skydiver and pilot. He will be truly missed.

Larry...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

An accomplished person and a pioneer of sport parachuting. We met at Elsinore in '67, a time when he focused on style and accuracy. Some of his skydiving stunts were remarkable. For example, he exited one aircraft and flew to enter another aircraft diving with him. Pilot, Parachutist, Motion Picture executive kevin was one of our finest. Respect. Forever Blue skies ....

time when he focused on style and accuracy.

A few years ago while jumping the Wuest Ways at Elsinore one of the younger jumpers came and wanted to know why a few of us always hung over Gary’s shop waiting to land. It was Jerry Bouquin, Rich Brooks, Kevin and myself. I explained to him that with the bigger canopies we would wait until the others were down and then stack up for landing. I said that we do a lot of demos together and it was good practice. I told him that Kevin and Jerry were old accuracy jumpers and very good at hitting the disk. He asked how good was good. I yelled over to Kevin and asked him how many DC’s he had. He thought for a moment and said around 1,800 and then added but the first 500 don’t count, they were on rounds.
He will be missed.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/RollingHills.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Kevin was my Dad. When I was around eight, we were driving somewhere, probably Elsinore. I asked him about tracking and how its done. He took about 20 minutes slowly explaining the idea of rolling forward slowly until the support slowly falls away in the front and you start to feel the beach ball under your waist. Then explained the balance of the ball and how moving slightly changes your pitch either direction. Twelve years later I got to try it and it came very easy.

Thanks for the stories, keep them coming.

Dave
  • Like 1

Dave,

We never met but you were topic of conversation most times I talked with your dad. He thought the world of you. He laughingly said more than once that the Cessna was "my son's college fund". Condolences. Lots of us will miss him but none as much as you.

jon

Dave your Dad was a very sweet Man, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you that....
Here is a photo of him with Gary Douris...
May they RIP....

And the guy in the yellow jumpsuit is Chet Bennett.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I think I just may be that "younger jumper" Mike, you are referring to with this. Although I never had the honor of truly getting to know Kevin well, his impression upon me is ever-lasting, none-the-less. His open honesty - clearly, his willingness to share - not only material items, but of himself, his experience and his advice - always openly & freely - and as someone else has already said - he clearly, and in every aspect had "the right stuff".

My heart and thoughts go out to all of you affected and no doubt saddened by this loss. I personally, take solice in knowing I have had the HONOR of having associated with, even if albeit only briefly, and sadly only so infrequently (yet still, so MEANINGFULLY), one of the great ones in this sport.

And that is what (and who) Kevin clearly was, and we now have added to our passed ranks... One of the great ones.

BSBD Kevin,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone