robinheid

Pat McGowan

Always smiling, always enthusiastic, always helpful, always ardent about life and family and skydiving and the Dallas Cowboys.

RIP old friend.

:|[:/]:(
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

I will miss Pat. He coached me early on, and was still teaching to the end. Such a great, dedicated skydiver, Pat was certainly among the last one would expect to have such a tragic accident.

Deepest condolences to Blue and the children.

Dan'l

What did you post a picture of? I'm reluctant to open it.

Unfortunate title, good picture, don't be afraid to open it.

Sorry, labrys, thanks Snowwhite. Filename changed.
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

UPI Feed --Published: April 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM)----

California skydivers die in chute tangle Patrick McGowan Jr. of Menifee, Calif., and Christopher Stasky of San Diego, both 42, died Thursday afternoon in a jump over Perris Valley Airport, The Desert Sun of Palm Springs reported. Witnesses said their parachutes collided 200- to 300 feet in the air, deflating both of them. Neither skydiver was able to reinflate his chute.McGowan had been a skydiving instructor for Skydive Perris for nearly 20 years and oversaw parachuting at the airport, the Riverside Press-Enterprise reported. Stasky was helping him train parachute instructors for the Canadian military.

Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

I'm just so sad. My heart goes out to Pat's wife and his children. He loved them so much. A few years ago a friend of his died in a canopy collision. It really affected him. He stopped jumping for about a year. He told me that he stopped jumping because the thing he wanted most in the world was to be there while his children grew up. Then he was travelling a lot. He wasn't happy with that either because it took him away from his family. Pat introduced me to 4way and shared his love of the skies. I'll think of him when I'm up there.
Blue Skies - Janna

I first met Patrick in 1996, when his wife Blue hired me to work in the Square One store in Perris. The two of them have had a huge impact on my life, just in the way I've seen that they live their lives.

My son was 6 when I learned to skydive. He had to wait 12 long years to do his first jump. For his 18th birthday at the end of 2001, I bought him an AFF Cat A at Perris. I made a point of being sure that Patrick was his FJC instructor and also one of his instructors on the jump.

There were numerous wonderful and highly experienced instructors at Perris at the time. Why did I want David to learn from Patrick? Because Patrick was an amazing instructor and coach - on the ground, in the tunnel and in the air.

My best memory of tunnel time was with Patrick coaching. Never before and never again have I flown so much like I knew WTF I was doing. That's what Patrick could do - he could make anybody look good, all while smiling and giving the kind of encouragement that made you want that coaching time to never end.

I didn't get to see him often since I moved to NorCal, but when I did there was always that big smile and a big hug and a genuine feeling that he cared about me. And it was so awesome to see his face light up when he talked about Rose and Jamie - and they were always one of the first topics of conversation.

BSBD Patrick. I love you. Thanks for being you.

I only had the honor to meet Pat on a couple of occasions. I was privileged to fly camera as he coached a four way team (regular vidiot was injured). During that brief tenure I was able to learn as he coached the team and he even took some time to help out me out. He always had a smile and was enthusiastic.

I happened to hear this song yesterday and it really made me think about Pat.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/3-doors-down/tracks/life-of-my-own--1801904

BSBD Pat, :(

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Pat was my first coach in the tunnel in 2005 when I had 30 jumps. Then I came back and did 4 way camps with him and Dan BC a few times in 2005 and 2006.

I am sad. He was the best coach I ever had in our funny little sport. He was a role model. Speechless.

My best memory of tunnel time was with Patrick coaching. Never before and never again have I flown so much like I knew WTF I was doing. That's what Patrick could do - he could make anybody look good, all while smiling and giving the kind of encouragement that made you want that coaching time to never end.

Word. I've got close to six hours in the tunnel now. That little bit of it that was coached time with Pat was probably THE best.

My heart goes out to Blue and the Kids!

I have probably logged 500 or more jumps with Pat, He always focused on making sure the student had fun, He was great to work with, Fun to Party with, and just a ball of energy!

Gypsy & Family .... RIP ......

I have known Pat for over 20 years. Skydiving lost an icon, but fatherhood lost a hall of famer.

I'll miss our football arguments a lot.
Who will I talk hockey with at the DZ now?
I'll miss jumping with you.
You still owe me a beer, remember that bet, Steelers would make the Super Bowl?

The Cowboys are still lame.

Fly free my friend...