frankd2689

Ian Aitken

Hi Folks
I'm sorry to report the death of Ian Aitken in Colorado recently. Ian started jumping at Strathallan (Scotland) in early 1978 and went on to become a club instructor before moving to Headcorn in Kent to work there full time.

He was a member of the British 8 way team in the 1980s and was one of the very first UK AFF Instructors

A few years later he moved to Canada where he worked for the Alberta Skydiving association and jumped all over the world.

He had spent the last year traveling the world and jumping, visiting Strathallan again last summer.

His death is not skydiving related.

I had the pleasure of working with and living with Ian. Truly an amazing person. He will be sadly missed. I'm lucky to have shared a part of his life!
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

Ian was my brother in skydiving. Because of him I've met many Canadian skydivers who have become close friends, have seen snowpacks fall while lunching at the top of Lake Louise in Banff, have paddled a canoe, have listened to blues at King Eddy's, and became an organizer at Lost Prairie.

Blue skies my brother, I hope you have found peace.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

So sad to hear this. Ian was a great friend.

I enjoyed my friendship with him, he gave me lots of advice as I was starting into skydiving and coaching.

I'll always remember the two of us driving back from Lost Prairie in his stinky camper van. We had to stop at all of his favorite places on the way and took way longer than it should have. It was a great trip.

Blue Skies Ian!

I met Ian at Lost Prairie. We partied up at the fire tower. I was wearing a Herd shirt, and he told me that he had one from a Herd Boogie years ago and he thought it was packed away in a duffle bag somewhere. Before we left that year I gave him that shirt and you would have thought I gave him a million dollars.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

We heard the news while we were in Belize. There were quite a few of us from Alberta at the boogie and were there for Jean when she received the news.

Ian was one of a kind and truly wonderful friend. I'll miss that giggle of his.

Here's a pic that was taken on a road trip to Jasper in November 2004.

Blue skies Ian. I'll miss you!
'Shell