cosmobuddy

Scot McLean

Fred,
I'm terrible with names. I knew a jumper who was traveling to Bozeman. He put one of the bungies over his reserve rip-cord handle so it wouldn't accidentally open, while traveling. He later jumped, had a malfunction, cut away, and was unable to open his reserve, because of the bungie over the rip-cord.

I'm just wondering if that was Scot. He seemed like a great guy. What a terrible loss!

I think that was the first jumper that I knew personally who died jumping.

I think the next jumper to die in Montana was at Kalispell in about 75 or so. At the jump meet in Kalispell. If I remember right he was a Canadian. I'm glad I missed the meet that year.....Kevin O'neal told me about it.

My memory is foggy, maybe you can clear some of this up.

Scot had a streamer on his PC during deployment. It is speculated that he had a dislocated shoulder, a problem that was known to occur for him. The combination of problems caused him to run out of time.
The 'bungee over the ripcord' was another accident and I believe quite some time before Scot's accident.
Kerry Zacharias from Canada went in at the jumpmeet in Kalispell in Aug, 1974. No pull. The plan for his dive was to do a style series for a license requirement. He lost track of time doing his turns.
And unfortunately, between these two, a first jump static line student went in at Bozeman. No main out, no reserve pull.
Things were then quiet in Montana until the early '80's.
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com