peregrinerose

Dick Winters (Band of Brothers)

Was he a friend of yours?
"A forum where we can post memories and tributes to our friends who stayed for a while and left before us". I dont think he was a skydiver. An outstanding paratrooping soldier, yes.
Does this belong here?
Just asking.
Take care,
space

In my humble opinion, no, this doesn't belong here. The skydiving community is small and when I see a new posting in this Memory forum my heart stops for a moment. I don't need this for every celebrity and sports hero that passes on.

p.s. I think Dick Winters is a fine fellow and I loved Band of Brothers.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

If you've ever had the honor of meeting some of the Easy company guys and listen to them speak of their jumps into Normandy and Holland as though they made them yesterday, there would be no doubt in your minds that this belongs here.

Dick lived very close to me, we have some mutual friends, I've met about 1/2 dozen of those he jumped with. He was very well respected and liked in this area.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

If you've ever had the honor of meeting some of the Easy company guys and listen to them speak of their jumps into Normandy and Holland as though they made them yesterday, there would be no doubt in your minds that this belongs here.

Dick lived very close to me, we have some mutual friends, I've met about 1/2 dozen of those he jumped with. He was very well respected and liked in this area.

We had the honor of performing a flag demo jump for a 506th reunion held not long after 'Band of Brothers' originally aired.

I was my pleasure and honor to spend a bit of time with the heroes of Easy Company.

After speaking with and getting a few logbook signatures from those Veterans, there is no doubt in MY mind that the minor tribute we can pay here is well deserved.

If not for Skydivers like Dick Winters, we ALL might be posting in German.

Go easy Sir and thank you.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In my humble opinion, no, this doesn't belong here. The skydiving community is small and when I see a new posting in this Memory forum my heart stops for a moment. I don't need this for every celebrity and sports hero that passes on.

I disagree with you and base283. IMO, this forum need not only be for people in the civilian skydiving community. IMO, without setting it all out at length, I think it's perfectly appropriate to post here in honor of our "cousins" in the military parachuting, and even BASE jumping, communities.

Paratroopers like Dick Winters jumped, fought and many died, to protect our gift of freedom to choose our own course in life. Later, many of these men were the early seeds that started to grow into modern skydiving.

They are not part of us, we are part of them.

They have earned every right to be remembered here!

Blue Skies Dick! And thank you to all the men in all the early Allied Airborne units.

He jumped out of airplanes...he's one of "us".

Thank-you for your service, Mr. Winters. :)

He jumped in the dark, below a grand, carrying over 100 lbs of extra gear, with flak shells and tracer fire aimed at him. Under a little 28 ft. round canopy made of silk. Blue skies forever Major Winters, you've earned it. We can live the way we do because of you and many others who never even lived through that night.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Thank you to Maj. Winters and anyone who has ever had the balls to jump out of an airplane for the sole purpose of landing near people trying to kill them, to seek them out and eliminate them, so others could live in freedom.

Look you may not like the USA or the military, but you have to respect the courage that was shown.

As others have mentioned, if not for men like these we would have a world that was far more detrimental to all.

In 1994 I was approached by a guy who was in his 70's.

He asked if I could possibly train a group of 20 to do a solo jump, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the
jump into Arnhem (Operation Market Garden) in 1944.

These guys were all in their 70's, the oldest was 82. All had served in the Parachute Regiment or SAS, and one was an ex member of the 101st Airborne division.

Some had jumped into Sicily, some had jumped into Normandy, most had jumped into Arnhem or Nijmegen. One, (a medic) had done jumps into Greece, North Africa, Sicily, Normandy and Arnhem, without a weapon.

My reply was simple, if they went through my first jump course and satisfied me that they could handle the ground training, no problem.

They had approached the military, and another civilian (ex military) operater with the same request and their request to do a solo was denied, as was the same request from their colleagues in Australia, the US, Canada, and the UK. Too old......( I know a few were allowed to do tandems in other places).

I was criticised in some quarters for allowing it, (apparently they were too old, too senile, not competant) but my feeling was that these were big boys, and if thats what they wanted, who was I to say no.

One of them did not pass my solo training to my satisfaction, but I allowed him to do a tandem.

The rest were some of the best students I ever trained, because they listened and did exactly what I asked of them....perfectly.

The other 19 all did a solo static line jump and handled it easily. Some carried talismans that they had carried into battle 50 years previously. One wore his battle smock that he'd kept all those years.

They were absolutely stoked.

It remains, to this day, one of the highlights and priveliges of my life and skydiving career to have the opportunity make this happen.

I felt very humble, knowing the history of these units. Meeting these guys just blew me away.

To those who say that people like Dick Winters should not be remembered on this board, I say shame on you.

You are not fit to lick their boots.

I salute all of these guys who jumped into battle, who lost many of their friends in the process.

The after jump celebration was huge....they made sure I got really shitfaced:(......., bloody old buggers...:)
Men above men........

My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I believe we post here for friends; in and out of the sport. Dick Winters is as important to jumpers as Whuffos.

He DID jump under conditions most "skydivers" would turn and RUN from! (Try to get a new D holder to jump a ROUND!) Hell, Airborne School is bad enough, let alone a leap into DEATH.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

"A forum where we can post memories and tributes to our friends who stayed for a while and left before us". I dont think he was a skydiver. An outstanding paratrooping soldier, yes.
Does this belong here?
Just asking.
Take care,
space

My question has been answered by many. Next drink is on Dick's honor.
Take care,
space

Does this belong here?
Just asking.
Take care,
space

Wow.:|
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Does this belong here?
Just asking.
Take care,
space

Wow.:|

Yeah no kidding, I wonder how he thinks he is free, by accident?

No matter who you are, someone else paid the tab.

Dear Bob...WTF? Correct me if I'm wrong but Dick Winters is not a celebrity or sports hero. He's is a World War II hero who was/is 101 Airborne, and he jumped into France and who knows where else, and risked his life for our freedom!!!!! Deeda Dee.

He jumped out of airplanes...he's one of "us".

Thank-you for your service, Mr. Winters. :)

Couldn't have put it better.

RIP Major Winters.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca