chuckakers

MGK RIP

Not sure if a dearly departed has be a skydiver to get posted here, but this guy deserves a mention anyway.

Mean Gene was a very talented blues musician. He had played with all the greatest blues artists and even opened for ZZ Top earlier this month.

More importantly, Gene was a very giving man. His brand of music was a hit among the biker community and he often headlined biker events from the very biggest to little fundraisers for fallen riders. Gene would often go out of his way and play for gas money and beer when the event was for charity, or would comp his fees entirely.

Gene's list of professional accomplishments is pretty remarkable, but he will be missed more for his good deeds than his skills behind an axe.

Guess I'll always remember the last day of 2010 as the day I found out my friend died.

RIP Gene. The world is a better place because you spend time here.

:(

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/29/2733843/guitarist-mean-gene-kelton-killed.html

A fixture on the blues-and-biker-bars scene, guitarist "Mean" Gene Kelton was killed this week in a collision on a Harris County farm road with a school bus carrying a girls basketball team, authorities reported.

None of the bus passengers were seriously injured, authorities said.

The wreck occurred about 8:45 p.m. Tuesday on Farm Road 2100 outside Crosby, northeast of Houston. Kelton was driving a sport utility vehicle northbound on the two-lane road when a vehicle in front of him slowed to turn left, Sgt. Glen Wolverton of the Harris County Sheriff's Department said.

Kelton swerved into the southbound lane and collided head-on with the Crosby High School bus.

Twelve people on the bus -- nine basketball players, the coach, the coach's daughter and the 69-year-old driver -- were taken to a hospital, Wolverton said.

The team was returning from a tournament in Liberty, and the coach had just told the students to start calling their parents to come pick them up as they neared the school, Crosby school Superintendent Keith Moore said.

Moore was headed home from Humble when he drove up on the scene minutes after the collision. "I didn't see any serious injuries," he said.

"I've been the superintendent here since June and we had a cheerleader killed in a car wreck on this road the third day after I got here," he said. "This road is extremely dangerous. It needs to be widened. There's no median, no turning lane."

Kelton and his band the Die Hards were based in Houston. They were booked for Saturday at a club outside Crosby. The long-haired, bearded Kelton was known for such songs as Too White to Play the Blues, Tears on My Guitar and My Baby Don't Wear No Panties.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/29/2733843/guitarist-mean-gene-kelton-killed.html#ixzz19iKpR1qo
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX