subject21

Passing of Mark Schlatter

I got a call earlier today about Mark. He has had his share of problems of late. I hope he is at peace now

I was and always will be a Sphincter Brother cuz of Mark.

Rest easy shipmate.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Wow, bummer. Mark owned Parachutes & Associates in Frankfurt, Indiana when I began jumping in 1985. He was a big part of the reason I kept coming back. I learned a tremendous amount from him and he ran a damn nice DZ full of great people.

Just saw him a few months ago. It was nice to say hello.

RIP, Slyde. Thanks for everything.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I've known Mark as both friend and competitor in the demo business since his early Frankfort days.

Mark was a DZO, rigger, instructor & a very talented professional demonstration jumper that always did what he thought best to promote the sport.

Go easy brother, I know you will find peace on the other side.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

All,

Yesterday I put up a brief memorial post at http://oneoldvet.com/?p=19543 that was viewed by over 500 of Mark's friends. To date seven (7) folks have left comments on it.

I have received E-mail from Mark's immediate family letting me know that they are grateful for your thoughts and prayers as expressed there.

Please take the time to leave yours today. I know his family will appreciate it during this most difficult time.

Thanks,

Al Taylor
AKA One Old Vet

Indianapolis

All I know of Mark is his Demo reputation, and his propensity to post on DZ.com as Slyde. He was a man with strong convictions, and no compunction about sharing those. I respect that. BSBD Mark.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

He was a man with strong convictions, and no compunction about sharing those. I respect that. BSBD Mark.

Mark was much smarter and more intelligent than the Peanut Gallery gave him credit for. It was his up-front way, his brash honesty that caused some to have issues with him. It's like Jack Nicholson in that movie: You can't handle the truth!

Unfortunately, the power was not in his hands and he paid for his honesty. I'm not saying he was a saint, but he wasn't just standing up for himself.

I hope he's soaring somewhere, flying glorious banners and flag-jumping into stadiums filled with angels.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Mark was much smarter and more intelligent than the Peanut Gallery gave him credit for.

If memory serves...Mark wrote the USAFA riggers manual among many other things.

He was indeed much brighter than the average bear, I found the best way to argue a point with Mark was to tell him you disagree and why ...then shut up & let him evaluate your input.

...I use to watch with amusement when people would try to change his mind on something, and not let him analyze & evaluate in his way.

When he would try to explain something to ME, I would have to remind him to break it down "Like you're talkin' to an old Pollock - public school product - "...which he was! :D

We did a talk on Demo safety at the PIA convention a few years back, it was a pleasure doing that with him because I knew he would be well prepared and the overall scope of his knowledge, is second to none.

During a pre-presentation run through with the other speakers featured on that forum, one of the things we were discussing the difference between a "Demo' & a 'Performance'.

Mark and I were the two most experienced 'paid demo jumpers' in the group of speakers, with over 1000 each.

I have more 'Performances' ...but he has more 'Demos' which is really more significant, because of the logistics and location variables.

We were all kidding back & forth good natured about our skydiving 'credentials'...when of course Mark put his thumb on the scale with 'rigger' 'pilot' 'AFFI' 'SL-I' 'TI' ...etc. ~he was probably the really 'true' definition of a professional in the sport.

When he was finished, I came back with 'Yeah, but I'm taller!" :$

He looked me up & down all serious, finally nodding in agreement...then busted up big time, we were all laughing so hard we couldn't continue! :ph34r:

Mark was unquestionably opinionated, but he was also a knowledgeable well informed individual.

I always held the greatest respect for Mark, because I understand what it takes to do what he did on that highest level...the guy had the brains to dream big, and the balls to follow those dreams.

THAT'S how 'I' remember Slyde! B|

During a pre presentation run through with the other speakers featured on that forum, one of the tihings we were discussing the difference between a "demo' & a 'performance'.

Mark and I were the top two most experienced 'paid demo' jumpers in the group of speakers, with over 1000 each.

I have more 'performances' ...but he has more 'demos' which is really more significant.

What did you guys decide is the difference between a "demo" and a "performance"?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

During a pre presentation run through with the other speakers featured on that forum, one of the things we were discussing the difference between a "demo' & a 'performance'.

Mark and I were the top two most experienced 'paid demo' jumpers in the group of speakers, with over 1000 each.

I have more 'performances' ...but he has more 'demos' which is really more significant.

What did you guys decide is the difference between a "demo" and a "performance"?

:D:D:D ~ A 'Demo' is the event itself, each jump during the demo is a 'performance'.

Mark's act was usually one Performance per Demo, whereas mine tends to be 3 to 10 depending on how many days that demo runs. ;)

I wonder if my first exposure to skydiving as a spectator, in 1988 as a kid, was watching one of Mark's demo jumps. I will never know, because I don't even remember exactly where it was except it was an hour outside Northhampton during the summer.

Regardless of what happened to Mark I have a lot of respect for the demo jumpers and just only hope the family is not too traumatized, seeing Mom and Dad outlives Mark. Given the circumstances it probably was a sad death but I hope he is at peace now, and I know he had his 'Good Days'...

Just a token toast to the demo jumper 'up there' now :D

Another example of how you relay experiences so well, Jim. I can just picture Mark giving you the appraising eye - then busting up. Thanks for sharing the anecdote.

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

What where the "circumstances"?

For those unfamiliar, there's a well-known downturn in Mark's life -- which may or may not have played a role. This is a condolences thread so I think people rather not discuss this subject mattrer in this thread.
(Search term 'Slyde' in dz.com forums)

For those not familiar who Mark is, www.MarkSchlatterSkydiving.com

Mark
Thanks for the jump that December Day back in Franklfort Indiana. I remember it because of the reserve sign off mixup before the jump from your friend MS and MS and I had a little chuckle over it when I returned to Houston. Those were the days.

Blue Skies
Chris