thora47

Debbie (Debra) Scadding 07/81

I'm new here, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.

This may be a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone knew my aunt, Debbie Scadding. I don't know how many jumps she had under her belt, but I have a ton of photos of her in formations and I know skydiving was her life. She died in July of 1981. I believe she was living in Alaska at the time but she also spent a lot of time in Arizona.
Her death was not a skydiving related incident, the plane she was in to come home from Alaska crashed - as I understand it.

Anyhow. I never had the pleasure of knowing her, as I was an infant when she passed, but I've always been fond of her memory. She is why I want to skydive.

I'm finally going on a tandem jump this June and if somehow someone out there knew her and jumped with her, it would be so special to me to hear anything and everything.

Thank you!

I can't seem to edit my post - but at the suggestion of another, I will add:

My name is Thora.
I live in Minneapolis, MN and was planning on making my jump here - but maybe some of you in AZ wouldn't mind Debbie's niece crashing your DZ and jumping with you.

Blue Skies...

Thora47,

Sorry this is so belated - I just ran across this post. I met your aunt, Debbie Scadding, over Christmas break in 1975. Gary Hannah had a twin beech which he flew to the SOD Farm DZ just south of Tampa Fla over Christmas break and he hauled 5 or 6 of his friends with him. Debbie was one of them. We spent a week or so jumping and partying with them. ( I think Gary had a connection with either Ric Haglund (RIP) or Mike McPhillips) & that's how they ended up at the SOD Farm. At 11:30 the New Year's Eve party ran out of beer! Debbie and I made a run to the liquor store and came back with a couple of cold cases to usher in 1976 and saved the day. They left a day or 2 later.
Apparently, the news of the Skytrain crash in Alaska was broadcast over the loudspeaker at the Skydiving Nationals in Oklahoma. A few of my friends were there and told me when they got back. I was just stunned - I couldn't believe it.
Though I didn't know her well, I will never forget your aunt Debbie.

Gary Thompson
D-4616

Gary, thank you. I read your post to my mother (Debbie's sister) and it brought tears to her eyes. My mother sends her most sincere gratitude. Debbie was unforgettable to my mother, but of course she was biased. Your words meant a great deal. We had a good laugh, imagining the New Year's celebration of 1976. And my mom and I were able to imagine it while enjoying some cold-ones together in 2012. :)

Thora,

I have been trying to reach you through this site since you posted. I would really like to get some information about my biological family and it seems you and your mother (Nancy) are the only ones that can provide that information to me. My father was your sister's brother. I know she was adopted but she always still considered him her brother. I have been trying to find out if Shirley has passed away at this time or not. I was in contact with Fred up until two years ago and now can't find anything on him. I just would like some closure about my biological family. Please if you read this you can contact me at [email protected] My sister was named for Debbie. In case you're questioning this here is what I know:

Frederick Church Scadding III married Shirley and had Debbie and Fred IV and adopted Nancy
They divorced.
Fred III then married Barbara Scadding. He passed on in 1997.
Fred IV did fairly well until approx. 1989 when he took off on our family. I have one half sister, Melanie born 1979 TO Vicki. One full sister, Casey born 1987 and myself to Susan. Fred has lived in Sarasota, Florida; Mesa, AZ; East Liverpool, OH and Columbiana, OH. He owned his own satellite company at one time.

Please if you can help me I would appreciate it.

Thora hasn't logged into here since 2012. But if you click on her username in a post, it'll take you to her user page, which gives an email address, as well as enough information to maybe google search and find her.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)