Jim Mowrey

Jim, I am going to miss you.

Thank you for all the safe takeoffs, rides to the altitude, and that one smooth landing.

I wont forget that one landing. You showed up at CPI and we knew the weather was wintery crap but somehow between Bob, Ariel, Rob and I we convinced you to break out the 182 and get her preflighted. We could see the snow off the end of the runway. I still laugh when I remember how fast after take off that now squal popped up. And I laugh even more when I remember your response... this is fuckin stupid!! Somehow the rest of us thought it was a hoot, but you didn't until we touched back down. That was the first time I can remember landing in a jump plane.

I am glad we got to meet up in Florida this winter. You really were enjoying your move down to florida. I just wish you were still here with us enjoying it.

Blues skies Jim.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

That was an obvious failure to communicate. The writer was so pre-disposed to the idea that skydivers only die by "crashing" that there was no regard to the possibility that there may have been a medical reason for the fatality prior to landing. Poorly reported but at least they got it that Jim was an important player. Too bad they left out how much he will be missed.

jon

That was an obvious failure to communicate. The writer was so pre-disposed to the idea that skydivers only die by "crashing" that there was no regard to the possibility that there may have been a medical reason for the fatality prior to landing. Poorly reported but at least they got it that Jim was an important player. Too bad they left out how much he will be missed.

jon

Hi Jon,

I think everything is poorly reported. In days gone by I was in quite a few articles that family members keep in a scrapbook.

Last Christmas I was looking at them and 100% of them shared the same thing, THEY WERE ALL WRONGLY REPORTED!

Too bad the media doesn't have ethics monitoring like Attorneys, they'd all get dis-mediatized. ;)

Mike
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

jon

Hi Jon,

I think everything is poorly reported. In days gone by I was in quite a few articles that family members keep in a scrapbook.

Last Christmas I was looking at them and 100% of them shared the same thing, THEY WERE ALL WRONGLY REPORTED!

Too bad the media doesn't have ethics monitoring like Attorneys, they'd all get dis-mediatized. ;)

Mike

the really REALLY scary part is:

If they can so badly screw up a simple, straightforward, unlayered story about a parachuting fatality, imagine how much they're screwing up the stories about health care, afghanistan and the congo.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

For those not reading the incident forum.

According to the Volusia County Medical Examiners report Jim Mowrey died of injuries to the head and neck, (blunt force trauma), not a heart attack.

He did have signs of coronary disease.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

There is absolutely no way a pathologist could differentiate head and neck injuries from before or after an arrhythmic event that may have caused those injuries. I think we have to acknowledge that something caused him not to pull and it clearly wasn't the injuries he received one or two minutes latter.
George M Woods, MD

There is absolutely no way a pathologist could differentiate head and neck injuries from before or after an arrhythmic event that may have caused those injuries. I think we have to acknowledge that something caused him not to pull and it clearly wasn't the injuries he received one or two minutes latter.
George M Woods, MD

Jim,

Wouldn't someone in a position like the Volusia County Medical Examiner try to get all the facts before making their report?

Additionally isn't there some kind of ethics or board that oversees these people?

When people who are not in the medical profession can look at the facts and draw a different conclusion, it looks like they should be reported and Volusia County should get a new Medical Examiner.

Mike
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime