Rainmagnet

Nick Scott-Tomlin

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Nick Scott-Tomlin in the early hours of the 3rd February 2010.

Nick was a great guy, a free spirit and a talented free-flyer and he touched the lives of many people.

Nick's Brother Oliver has asked me to post this message on behalf of his family;
---------------
We are hoping to have a service on the 20th of this month (in Hermanus, South Africa). I am aware that it is far away and short notice, but if anyone would like to come please ask them to contact me and i will give them more information. My email address is [email protected].
---------------

I will also try to post more information here when it becomes available and I hope a fuller obituary will follow.

Gona miss you Nick.

Mike

Nick was such an awesome guy and the news of his passing saddened me deeply. Nick recently took silver in open class artistic freefly at the 2009 USPA Nationals.

Nick was one of the first guys to help me start flying on my head in a tunnel when he worked for SVNH and eventually was the one to award me my IBA flyer PRO rating when he achieved his T4 rating.

I have very fond memories of us running around naked at the 2008/2009 New Years boogie at Z-hills with many of the Ranch hands.

Thanks for all the good times bro.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

What a beautiful soul. Talented, funny, and a great friend to many all over the world. I'm still in disbelief. :( He will be missed by many in the skydiving and tunnel community!

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

On the day when
the weight deadens
on your shoulders
and you stumble,
may the clay dance
to balance you.
And when your eyes
freeze behind
the gray window
and the ghost of loss
gets in to you,
may a flock of colours,
indigo, red, green
and azure blue
come to awaken in you,
a meadow of delight.
When the canvas frays
in the curach of thought
and a stain of ocean
blackens beneath you,
may there come across the waters
a path of yellow moonlight
to bring you safely home.
May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
may the clarity of light be yours,
may the fluency of the ocean be yours,
may the protection of the ancestors be yours.
And so may a slow
wind work these words
of love around you,
an invisible cloak
to mind your life.

That was very nice.

Nick was amazing. I don't think my words could quite do him justice. He was my AFF instructor for ground school and levels 1-4. He is incredibly missed already. blue skies, my friend, blue skies.
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

OMG this is awful news!!!! Nick and I met at Skydive AZ not long after I began jumping. He was a great friend and an amazing human being. He will be greatly missed. My heart hurts :(.
Blue ones Nick!!

"Sex.... It's just like cuddling - only damper."
Flying Hellfish#695
Muff Brother#3885
Rodriguez Brother#1526-Tronca Rodriguez

I met Nick when he first showed up at Eloy. I didn't have a ride when I was there, so I made a lot of trips to the Wal-Mart at Casa Grande with him sitting in the passenger side of the old van he bought when he got the the states. At first he was amazed at the size of the place, but that quickly gave way to irritation when the checkout lady wouldn't take his passport to buy beer. It totally blew him away that he couldn't buy beer.

Another time in Casa Grande with Nick and Leander (from Austria) when we were at the all you can eat chineese place. He was asked by one of the local rednecks what country was he from, when he replied "South Africa" the redneck wouldn't believe it and said as much to Nick. After a second of thought, he told the redneck that his mum bathed him in Clorox as a child and that was why he wasn't black. The redneck replied "that must have hurt," and Nick replied, "No not near as bad as when mum ironed my hair out straight!" I tried my best to keep from wetting my pants and from splitting my guts with insane laughter.

Nick, thanks for making my second year in the sport so much fun! (wow, 5 years passes so quickly) The pints and good times we shared will be cherished memories all my life. You told me back in 2005 that you were going to be an instructor, and what an awesome one you became! Fly free, my brother and save a pint for me!

BSBD,
Dave "Gump" Williams

There was a post in the most recent Parachutist about Nick, really quite a beautiful tribute to his life. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. His family did a really phenomenal memorial for him. :)

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

There was a nice full-page tribute to Nick on the inside-back cover of the May issue of Parachutist magazine. See the first attached image.

I was curious about the compass coordinates on the page, so I typed those into google maps, and it shows the location to be the southern-most tip of South Africa. See the second attached image.

What is the significance of that location to Nick?

I am Nick's sister. 
This marks the cairn where we scattered Nick's ashes on 5 March 2010.  It's  the most southerly tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas - or the Cape of Storms  -where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet: 34•49'58"S  20•00'12"E.   Over the centuries the Cape of Storms has claimed about 2000 ships.  It is both a beautifully mystical and sad place.   
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/agulhas/

I am Nick's sister.
This marks the cairn where we scattered Nick's ashes on 5 March 2010. It's the most southerly tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas - or the Cape of Storms -where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet: 34•49'58"S 20•00'12"E. Over the centuries the Cape of Storms has claimed about 2000 ships. It is both a beautifully mystical and sad place.
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/agulhas/

Thank you for answering my curiosity on that, samsara. I was guessing that it must be something like that. I know that will be a special place for you to visit from now on. Bless you.