patworks

Bill Stage SCR-5 died yesterday, Jan 30

Bill Stage SCR-5 died yesterday, Jan 30, 2010, after a long illness. An Arvin Good Guy Bill was on the worlds first 8-man star as well as the first 10-man star. Bill had health problems for many years and seemed to be near death on several occasions.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Sorry to hear about Bill. I first met Bill in 1970 and we made many jumps together in the 70's. Although I had not seen Bill in many years I thought about him when I reviewed my log book and looked at old pictures.
My regards to all who knew him.
Ron Haun
D-2635
SCR-333

Just outside The Pearly Gates, Peter sat staring into a computer monitor when he heard the tinkling of tiny bells. Looking-up, he saw a weary traveler approaching. Now standing before him, Peter asked him for his name. "Bill Stage, SCR-5," came the reply.

Peter entered the name into the computer, and while the computer clicked away, he noticed that this Bill Stage was in skydiver's attire with a leather helmet in his hand and tiny bells on his jump boots. Now gazing at the screen, Peter read some of Bill's history: Born, February 13, 1931 and applied for acceptance, today, January 30, 2010. He was an engineer by profession, a dedicated husband to his wife, Mary, a Vietnam veteran, and a skilled skydiver who was a member of the Arvin Good Guys. Standing at 5'9", he had red hair, freckles on his face, and an easy smile. He was Mr. Cool personified.

Peter continued reading: Bill was active at many drop zones in Southern California starting in 1960 including Piru, Lake Elsinore, Lake Casitas, Taft, Old River, Arvin, Lost Hills, to name a few. He was particularly proud to have been a member of the Arvin Good Guy skydiving team that made the World's first 8-man star on October 17, 1965, and the world's first 10-man star on July 2, 1967.

Peter leaned back in his chair looking at Bill and said, "The record shows that you led an exemplary life, Mr. Stage, please go through the gates whenever you're ready. Oh, by the way, former team members Terry Ward and Paul Gorman are waiting for you on the patio with a cold beer."

Have a good one, Bill,

Brian SCR-8

----------------

And let us not forget that Bill was a major promoter of the WSCR at a time when, very sadly, women were 2nd class citizens in our sport.

Yes, even though his initials were ... BS . =8^)

I will never forget the Pygmy Mau-Mau meetings. Man, those were the days.

If you'd like to send Mary a card e-mail me for the address.

RIP Bill

that was lovely, NTHRIWZ. My prayers are with his family.
If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

It was sad to hear this yesterday.
I first met Bill at Arvin when I was 18. Bill was one cool guy. Because of his fire red hair you could pick him out from a long distance.

I am glad I got to see Bill and talk with him for a short time last year during a reunion held at Taft.

I am sure I'll be seeing him down the line, along with Terry Ward, Paul Gorman, Chuck Sweeney, Gary Douris and my brother Paul. I look forward to some RW with friends up where you don't need to repack after every jump.

RIP BIll,
Dennis Henley
SCR-216

Blue Sky's Bill........

I sure would love seeing some of the old timers share some of their stories with Bill in the early days here......

I get goose bumps reading about the Great Pioneers of Skydiving.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

I just looked back at my first logbook and Bill signed off 7 of my 21 student jumps. Bill, Gil Revior and Bob Celaya taught me to jump at Perris in '76, Jim Wilkins flew the 206. These were great people and the reason I am still here today, teaching my son to jump as we speak. That's a legacy!

Rick Ford D5676

I just looked back at my first logbook and Bill signed off 7 of my 21 student jumps. Bill, Gil Revior and Bob Celaya taught me to jump at Perris in '76, Jim Wilkins flew the 206. These were great people and the reason I am still here today, teaching my son to jump as we speak. That's a legacy!

Rick Ford D5676

Its been a long time Rick.

Michael Owens D5476
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Bill was great. I remember back at Arvin, about 1966: Bill, like most at that time started to deploy at about 1,500 and had a cone lock, no worries, he pulled the handle on his belly mounted 24' twill reserve, he said "I saw it snap open, then rip off", the springs in the D rings were weak, and the reserve had somehow become disconnected from the main harness, only held down by the small tie downs located on the sides of the container. He saw the ground, he was now very low, leaping up at him, all hope was gone, then the main popped open with out a second to spare, he did a stand up landing in his French jump boots. The main container apparently was jarred open by the initial tug from the reserve before it ripped off and went by by. Bill related all this to me as we climbed out on the next Howard load shortly after it happened. It was always exciting jumping with Bill. I loved it.

Tim Harris scr 21
SCR-21

Damn! Everytime I come back to this site we lose another great one. It would take me all day to write about Bill and his greatness. So I will just simply say, so long Bill and say hi to Denise and Frisby and Dirty Ed and well you know all the OLD gang from Perris and Elsinore. It's getting pretty crowded up there but I'm sure that you will save a slot for us all as we one by one enter the biggest formation of all. Love to you Mary My best memory is Pygmy-Mau-Mau 1973 style--- what a blast!!!! Love, Sandy
Sandy