1335smaj

Benjamin Lunn

I remember you Ben Lunn. I doubt anyone else will. Ben was an Airborn Ranger and a new skydiver. My kids loved him. When Ben left us my kids felt Greenday's "Time of your life" was written just for him. We still think of it as Ben's song. He loved skydiving so much! Anyway....
If you knew Ben Lunn, or even if you didn't don't be afraid to leave a post.
RLTW
All cats die. Socrates is dead. Socrates was a cat.

I was thinking of Ben today and was missing him. I decided to do an internet search to see if I could find some pics, or maybe a facebook page and instead found this site. I graduated from high school with Ben and he was a very dear friend. He touched so many lives with his beautiful smile and sense of humor. I have lost a lot of family and friends throughout my life, but losing him has been the hardest thing I've ever went through, besides the loss of my son. I visit his grave often and laugh at the good times and cry because he isn't here anymore. Mariah Carey's song Hero was played at his funeral and I still can't listen to it today without crying and missing him. 4th of July's are still hard but I know he is watching over us. RIP BEN...WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

Ben and I met at the recruiting station in Findlay OH. We instantly became friends. I was only up there for a short period of time but he managed to get me a gig at Slap Stix until I had to head out, I still have my work jersey. We started running the DEP (delayed entry program) for the recruiters. We would arrange events like paintball and BBQ’s to get all the DEPs together. He constantly “hounded” me about becoming an Airborne Ranger, I joined as an Airborne MP instead. My Dad, whom Ben had an affinity for, is a retired SF Ranger. Started in 1st of the 75th and progressed from there. I wanted my own path. Out of 4 guys that signed ABN RGR contracts only Ben made it. 2 Tries, but he made it. I’ll never forget when he told me he didn’t make the cut his first go round, he was devastated. I didn’t find out that he qualified on his second round until I read his obituary in Bosnia. It was sent to me by our recruiter. Sad part is that I had been in theater for quite some time and managed to come home for RnR. I called Ben but we couldn’t sync up before I had to go back. I flew out July 3, WTH, who knew that would be the last time we talked. Ben is an amazing man and one hell of a Ranger. He will never be forgotten by those who knew him. Tomorrow, is the 17 year anniversary of his untimely death, a Saturday Nonetheless, It still hurts as bad as the day I found out. The craziest song has made all of these emotions come full force. “See you again” the Charlie Puth version, from Fast and Furious 7. I guess it’s because of the implications of the song and the movie.

Rest in Peace Brother, Heaven has a special place for you.

Heck, you already entered the gates with wings…..

I came across this site the other week, and I know this is a pretty old thread but I had to post something.

I am Ben's younger brother, and reading these few posts from people that knew him...and still hearing that he is remembered by others years later makes me so happy. Obviously I know what an amazing person he was, but hearing others' perspectives is comforting.

5 years ago my wife and I had a son, and I was able to honor my brother by giving my son Benjamin as his middle name.

Anyway, thank you all for the kind words.

- Nick

Nick,

My friend Dave Radford, a West Point classmate, found this forum so I signed up just to comment. Ben was my roommate at West Point. I can't tell you how infectious his personality was. Although he left school, we just had our twenty year reunion and several us were telling Lunn stories. Stories like the time he decided to fill his rucksack with 70 pounds of rocks and run around the school, or when he set the intramural swimming record for fun, or the stories he told us about growing up in Findlay. We were talking about him and all regretted how badly we felt that we hadn't kept in touch. David then found this forum and I just wanted to leave you a note. Though I ended up being a pretty poor friend by not keeping in touch, Ben was always a good friend to me (other than getting me hooked on Kodiak, haha). I miss him now and sorely regret that I didn't reach out to him.

(edited)

I'm sorry that the Army and the Navy kept us apart. I love you Ben! Always remember us this way, pops in my head all the time. I'm going to see your parents later, they're giving me the ranger picture, because I'm doing a ruck event in your honor. ❤

Edited by Troutk