7 7
howardwhite

David Hersey

The skydiving world is smaller today with the departure early this morning of David Hersey. If you ever met him, it's unlikely you have forgotten him.
Dave was a regular at New England DZs -- CT, MA, and finally Lebanon, ME.
You may have remembered him by his long hair and beard -- some thought it a Christ-like appearance.
Or you may remember him as the only rigger in the area who gladly packed SSTs and Racers when others found them too challenging.
Or you may remember him as adventurous in his choice of canopies -- one of the first in the area to jump a Jonathan.
Or you may remember him as a Justice of the Peace, who married many skydiving couples.
Dave spent much of his life as a personal assistant -- helping disabled people with every part of their lives. So it was ironic that several years ago he was diagnosed with ALS -- "Lew Gehrig's Disease" -- which left him in a wheelchair but didn't affect his spirit
He remained cheerful to his last days, sending New Year's greetings to his many friends on Facebook.
He's donated his body to ALS research, and has asked for an ash dive -- with glitter -- when the snow melts in the northern New England he so loved.

HW
  • Like 1

I'm glad you posted that picture. Dave was one of those guys that I usually only saw at the WFFC once a year, and I never seemed to be able to remember his name. Very nice guy. I remember seeing him at the 2007 PIA Symposium when he was in a wheelchair and told me of his disease. He retained a very good attitude about it.
  • Like 1

Blue skies, David. You will be missed.

He sold me my first rig, a big 'ol black and purple Raven III in a Racer. Pull-out, of course. I still have it, even though I haven't jumped in years. I will cherish it, and my friendship with him, forever.

Howdy Fellow Skydivers,

Dates are July 24th / Rain date July 25th, if both rained out - August 21/22.
Skydive New England, Lebanon, ME.
A few open slots will be raffled off on the day of the jump.

If you bring a plane, we can do formation loads. 8*)

We are going to "paint the sky" for David.

Thanx! All,

P. Smurf

papa smurf PURPLE glitter please....wish I could come...but can you put some PURPLE in there for me? I don't know why but when I heard he wanted a glitter ash dive....my first thought was purple.

DAVE- you were just the coolest guy...the voice from under the packing table when I would come to bother the riggers with questions. See you on the other side man.

Dear David,

Monday will mark five years...where have they gone? We miss you every day.

Yesterday, we lost little Alice. Please look after her and play with her up there until we see you both again. Fly fast, fly safe!

xxxooo,
Marianne and Jim
PS: Give Howard our love, too.
"It's not the number of breaths we take--it's the moments that take our breath away."

Waited for OWB today out of respect...midnight approaches.

The gang lifted a holiday glass in your honor last month, David. Now, six years gone in the blink of an eye. Met Nancy and John at Jumpshack last week. They remembered you fondly, especially vivid memories of you as pictured in Howard's photo of you with the three black and purple Racers.

Marianne and I miss you lots. Howard, too. Fly fast, fly free!

Dear David,

You are remembered with love and admiration. Your gang gathered at Symphony Hall again last month. Wish we could have seen your smile when we discovered TFC's "purple chorus" (dressed in black) was assigned to that night, the stage crew wore black suits with purple ties, the Principal Bass wore a purple bowtie with his black tux, and the stage was awash in purple light most of the evening. Your presence was deeply felt by all of us.

Miss you so much. Howard, too. Xxxooo,
Marianne and Jim