faulknerwn

BSBD Darrell Dunafon

Darrell was easily the most natural AFF student I ever taught. He had everything done for all 7 levels by jump #3. His first jump had his other instructor and I looking at each other wondering what we were there for...

He died far too young in a BASE accident today..

BSBD
Wendy

One night, some friends and I are poking around at an elevator of a huge tower near Houston. We jumped for joy when we got it going and wanted to plan a little BASE boogie for the following night. One of my buddies there asked to invite some friends out from San Antonio area and told me about Darrell, how we was heads up, a natural, and a bad ass dude.

The next night, shit weather rolled in and rain clouds were solid at 900-1000ft. It didn't matter though, because Darrell came anyway and we had ourselves a little night BASE elevator boogie in the rain from the bottom of the clouds. Some folks shielded themselves in the elevator, Darrell and I rode on top. And at the end when everyone else was tired, cold, wet, done, and wanting to go home, Darrell and I went up for one more B|.

Robert was right. Darrell was a really cool dude and I'm honored to have gotten the opportunity to share those jumps with him. Thanks for the beers and good times Darrell. When I see you on the other side, let's get an elevator fired up in the rain again :D

Blue skies brother.

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Darrell, You will be sorely missed.Everyone is in disbelief and shock about it at SSM. .I remember when I sold you my Space 150 and how much you loved to fly that canopy and then you sold it back to me when you were deployed to Iraq. You said then that you had a feeling that you would not come back alive. Just a few weeks in country and you get a good piece of your right hand blown off. come back home home get your rig modified to a left hand deployment recover from your wounds and take up jumping again like you had never been gone. Blues, Dr D

We went out to a terminal A one night with Leroy (rip) and Darrell's roommate. The sky was crystal clear and the winds were right between the wires. Darrell and I started climbing while the elevator geeks tried to get the thing running. At about 600 feet, we saw a front rolling in. The winds shifted to a new, unjumped and sketchy LZ sector, and the the clouds came. Undettered we climbed to the top. We couldn't see our hands in front of our face. Soaking wet, we crawled over to the outside and stared at solid white.

I looked at Darrell and said "Smart people wouldn't make this jump". He said "Smart people wouldn't be here in the first place."

Hahahahaha. Right you are. Okay then, here we go. Jumped into nothing and tried to watch the glow of lights between my legs. Suddenly, at 500 feet - blam- came out of the clouds and could see everything.

My favorite jump with my best jumping brother. You are a groovy mother fucker Darrell.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

We went out to a terminal A one night with Leroy (rip) and Darrell's roommate. The sky was crystal clear and the winds were right between the wires. Darrell and I started climbing while the elevator geeks tried to get the thing running. At about 600 feet, we saw a front rolling in. The winds shifted to a new, unjumped and sketchy LZ sector, and the the clouds came. Undettered we climbed to the top. We couldn't see our hands in front of our face. Soaking wet, we crawled over to the outside and stared at solid white.

I looked at Darrell and said "Smart people wouldn't make this jump". He said "Smart people wouldn't be here in the first place."

Hahahahaha. Right you are. Okay then, here we go. Jumped into nothing and tried to watch the glow of lights between my legs. Suddenly, at 500 feet - blam- came out of the clouds and could see everything.

My favorite jump with my best jumping brother. You are a groovy mother fucker Darrell.

nice.

You are a groovy mother fucker Darrell.

Right on.

----------------

I miss you bro. We had a badass time on that heli jump, and that clear and pull was one of the most amazing jumps I have ever done. Thank you for the freefly pants and for being such an extraordinary spirit. I have always looked up to you and will see you again someday. KAS.

----------------
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jellyside down. A cat glued to some jelly toast will hover in quantum indecision.

Shortly after Darrell's passing we held a silent auction during his ash dive to raise money for a memorial to hang at Skydive San Marcos, his mom and dad drove from Tucson to attend. It was a cathartic event for Darrell's family, Skydiver and BASE friends. The event brought some closure to the many who loved and respected him.

Darrell's memorial, a stained glass piece has hung in the packing room at SSM for over 9 years.

When Skydive Spaceland purchased SSM they had a different esthetic in mind for their DZ and removed all the photos and art from the walls and left them available for whomever wanted them. Unfortunately Darrell's glass was in the mix.

I'd like to thank Thomas the DZM and all the staff at Skydive Spaceland San Marcos that I spoke to today for helping today in my search for this commemoration to a life well lived.

I would very much like to recover this art for his parents who grieve for their son every day and will, until the end of days.

Darrell's glass is my avatar, i was unable to upload the image.

Note: Lucky, your post was unkind.