squirks

My tribute to Gary Douris

I was able to attend my Uncle Gary's memorial service on the 14th. Thank you all for putting so much time and effort into making the event unforgettable. You are all so kind, and so generous and so welcoming - I'm glad to know that my uncle's world had you in it.

As some of you who attended are aware, I jumped for my first time on Saturday. I absolutely loved it, and am so grateful for the opportunity to honor my uncle by doing what he loved, surrounded by the people he loved.

As I jumped, the sky was clear and the sun was just starting to go behind the mountains. It really couldn't have been a more perfect day. I was able to say my final goodbye to my uncle as I opened the door to a world that I had only dreamt of before then.

I'm still walking on a foot of clouds.

Carlee Ojeda

Carlee:

Your making your first jump a Elsinore last Saturday made the day even more unforgettable.

For those of you who missed it, the Gary Douris Memorial Tribute and Life Celebration was really quite a spectacular send-off for our friend. The aerial burial was accomplished with FOUR 8-way groups, each with a portion of Gary's ashes. They were followed by one jumper towing a great big US Marine flag and by Eike flying a HUGE American flag. Another highlight was the 16-man Marine Color Guard, who performed a 21-gun salute, played 'Taps' and presented e US flag to Gary's family, represented by his loving sister Louanne. Next came a spectacular fly-by with two of Gary's favorite aircraft, Skip's shiny DC-3 and a beautiful vintage Howard DGA-5. The celebration continued long into the night with a sit-down dinner for 300+, slide-shows, movies, and many, many memories.
Gary was not just a special skydiver, he was a very special PERSON, and this was demonstrated once again by the outpouring of emotion by some of the many, many people who loved him.

So long "Red;" we'll miss you!

Carlee:

If I can do this correctly, I'll attach 2 of Barb's images from Gary's get-together.

One shot shows our "Gary" posing with two of his oldest friends, Barry Lastinger and Jerry Bourquin.

The other photo is during "Taps."

I hope that someone will upload the jump videos, so that we can see them also.

Bye for now,

Jerry

I never actually met Gary, just knew of him in passing.
It was an honor to be at his send off, and to hear your very fine presentation of his life, and watching the films late into the night made me really wish I'd been in this sport "back in the day" and had the opportunity to have learned from and met Gary.
It was inspiring as you read from his log book (and yours). Additionally, the stories of Gary, the number of people that were there, and the well-done event...made it clear that this was not only a man who had contributed greatly to the sport, but was also a great man.
Thank you so very much for allowing me to be a small part of the memorial.

Carlee,

You are very lucky for having Gary as an Uncle.

As I attended the services this last Saturday I talked with many friends from over the last 45 years. Everyone of them had nothing but great things to say about Gary, even those he grounded.

Gary grounded me back in the 60's for trying to make a shortcut to China through the Elsinore DZ. I would say I am alive and jumping today because of that grounding. So, to Gary I say," Thanks Red".

I heard about your jump this weekend. Good on ya Carlee. That sure put a smile in the sky and on the ground this weekend.

Regards,
Dennis Henley
SCR-216

Gary grounded me back in the 60's for trying to make a shortcut to China through the Elsinore DZ. I would say I am alive and jumping today because of that grounding. So, to Gary I say," Thanks Red". ***

I heard a lot this past weekend about "grounding" and since I'm so new here I have no idea what that means!!

I really always wanted to jump WITH Uncle Gary, so my jump was bittersweet. The hour or so leading up tp my jump I almost couldn't talk to anyone, I kept tearing up.

Using your mom's camera, I took a few photos of you & your Tandem Master, then some of you with your mom & your aunt ( Gary's two sisters ); so how about posting them when you get a chance?

I will be talking to her in the next few days and will get her to send me what she has. BIG thanks for taking some pictures, I appreciate it!!

Off topic, how do I get a photo on my profile?? Maybe someone can PM me?

C

*** Gary grounded me back in the 60's for trying to make a shortcut to China through the Elsinore DZ. I would say I am alive and jumping today because of that grounding. So, to Gary I say," Thanks Red".

*** I heard a lot this past weekend about "grounding" and since I'm so new here I have no idea what that means!!
-------
Carlee:

That is a great question! 'Back in the day,' a jumper might be "grounded" by Red Douris because of a serious safety infraction. For example, if Gary saw me intentionally "pull low" (i,e, less than a 60-second canopy ride) and if I didn't have a good excuse he could (and he did) put my name on the "grounding board." (Which was, believe it or not, an actual, physical chalkboard at manifest listing the current malefactors!)

When I was grounded for 30 days, it meant that the DZ would refuse to let me jump. (What a thought; a business punishing unruly customers by refusing them service! Harumph!)

I'll attach a couple more photos from your uncle Gary's memorial event: Eike H. with the giant US flag, the Marine 21-gun salute, and the Johnson brothers, Brian and Mark, sharing a laugh with Gary.

Take care,

Jerry

> I heard a lot this past weekend about "grounding" and since I'm so new here I have no idea what that means!!

:-) :-)

You just caused several scenes to flash through my mind.

With his red hair and freckles and sunburn he really was "red",
and when people would pull low he would get even redder,
and somehow more Marine-like, and he'd go chew them out,
and then put their name up on the little chalk board beside
the manifest board.

He was a good guy though, and always helped me when I
was trying to do stuff.

Skr

He was a good guy though, and always helped me when I was trying to do stuff.

His willingness to be helpful to everyone will be what always sticks out in my mind. He loaned me money once to start a business (that never took off). It took me years to repay him and he never once said a cross word to me about how long it was taking. I learned a great deal from him about giving.