mdrejhon

BSBD Steve Harrington - Flock University

Thank you all for leaving your thoughts and memories of my precious twin Steve. It means so incredibly much to my entire family to read these warm words...

On of our RainbowSkydivers booked airfare (Calen Chrzan) is flying in to be at the service. He attended both Rainbow Boogie 2006 and 2009, the events Steve attended as well.

Steve was in my circle of friends and he will be missed. He also, unfortunately, happens to be the first person I personally know, to pass away in skydiving.

Wow, I feel short-changed here. I just found the few messages between Steve and I on here. As you can see, I don't visit DZ.com much. He sounded fun and seemed unique, a sub-set of a sub-set in another sub-set of people. We never met. He was gone the year I attended F&D. He found me somehow through an Atlantis Events gay cruise forum. I found it striking how similar some of our situations were, age, relationship, date began jumping, etc. What a pisser this is for everyone. I have been told numerous times regarding untimely deaths of young people that the brightest stars burnout the fastest, a statement that always leaves me pondering.

I logged on one day to a new message out-of-the-blue from a Steve I never knew I'd like to share. I found it genuinely humerous. An excerpt that went like this:

Hello

Date Sent:
Sep 25, 2007, 3:32 PM
I think I found myself another gay wingsuiter! I saw your post in the Mach-one thread (I have one too and love it!) and was not 100% sure the line about "my husband" was real. I googled you and found your posting on an Atlantis website...(that sounded like fun!) so yup I think you is a homo

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. Hopefully we can do some jumps together sometime. I have been keeping my eyes open for other queer birds and have only found 2. There is a small chance I will go to the San Marcos boogie at the end of October....is that anywhere near where you normally jump? I was going to go to flock 'n dock but I have a wedding in NY to go to. Will definitely go to the one in March...

Well, ciao for now. caw caw.
Steve

Well Mark, I can't say the same as you about losing friends and acquaintances in sport. Over the 17 years, literally dozens are now gone between plane crashes and other messed up crap. I'm really surprised this is your first. It won't be your last. I'll try not to make it your next.

Peace.

Steve, it was a real treat and a true pleasure to have known you, jumped with you, and shared so many great times together - boogies all over the country - too many to recount.

A kind soul, always with a smile, always enthusiastic, making the space around you brighter with your presence. You will be sadly missed by many - especially myself.

I know you will still be watching over us. Will see you in the clouds. Peace my friend,
Mike

Hi,
This is Fred Harrington, Steve's older brother. Like my brother Parker, I have been deeply moved by all of the tributes and memories shared here in this forum. Steve was obviously a great friend to many of you, and he was a great brother to me.
I want you all to know that I have compiled each and every one of your comments into a document on my laptop, so that I may include them in a memorial scrapbook I am creating for Steve.
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to share all of these thoughts about my wonderful brother.
Blue skies, Steve!!!

STEVE, I miss you brutha. :(
Thanks for the great times, the funny conversation, and the pleasant company at our group dinners last week. But most of all, thanks for all the great flocks. It was my privilege to follow your purple and green wingsuit to the formation on every jump. You were there for me everytime.
We will flock together again some day.

"Black Raptor"

Everyone,

Wow, so many family members!
I have discs filled with digital photos of Rainbow Boogie 2006 and Rainbow Boogie 2009 -- some of Steve Harrington's photos are in there. If any family member wants them, please contact me at [email protected]. Many photos are large, so hard to email many of them at once but if any family members need access to them now for the service, they have all my permission to access the Rainbow Boogie 2009 Photos in the RainbowSkydivers Facebook Group. The postage is on me (free). Make sure you identify yourself when you email me...

The DVD's are also available too... The DVD's weren't free though as they aren't created by me. I also can get skypeople.ca to create an extra copy of Rainbow Boogie 2006 DVD, and our editor girl to create an extra copy of the Rainbow Boogie 2009 DVD, though most of the footage is freefall based. (None of the money goes to me... ) ... I checked the content and they don't seem to show as much Steve as I hoped, but there's a little of him too.

(Note -- Rainbow Boogie 2009 DVD's have not yet been shipped out, they are going to be shipped out in early December, on time for Christmas)

Everyone, of course, is welcome to join all of us at Rainbow Boogie 2010 if they wish -- I don't know if this helps -- but something to keep in mind if any family wants to socialize with other RainbowSkydivers who spent time with Steve, too.

Every time I try to post in this thread I find myself at a loss for words.
My deepest condolences to everyone. Family, friends, wingsuit brothers/sisters... my heart goes out to you all.

Miss you, Steve. Will always miss you.

I had the privilege of flying with Steve many times... Pepperell, Jumptown, Puerto Rico... He was an excellent wingsuit flyer with a genuine love for this sport, and without any of that skygod attitude you see in other people at the same skill level. What a wonderful guy we lost!

I remember his smile and enthusiasm every morning in Elsinore. We would exchange a few words during breakfast each day, and he seemed so happy and ready to fly every single time.
I remember sitting next to him in the debrief room, sharing the joy of seeing our big formation come together.
He was so eager to do a fun jump after the big formation loads. He wanted to go fun jump on sunset the day before, but we had to stay on the ground for more bigway dirt-diving. The day we finally got the record, he was so excited to go up again for a small fun flight.
I considered going up on that sunset load, but was mostly feeling too lazy to pack. He asked a bunch of us if we wanted to go up again.
"what are you guys going to do on this one?" I asked.
His reply was: "We're just gonna fly."
He looked so happy... eyes glowing, nice big smile...

Fly free, my dear friend.
BSBD

I am still at a loss for words... How do you describe such a devastating loss?? Steve's service today was very touching, a superb tribute to an amazing man. He has touched so many lives in such a positive manner - standing room only in a very large church... All I can say right now is "Wow!"

Condolences all around, to all of Steve's circles. It was an honor to fly with one of the best!

Blue skies forever, my friend.
Rick

Guess what Steve?

The owner of the driveway came to Perris one day to jump with me. How weird is that right???

Out of 20 something tandem instructors working for school that day, she came and ended up jumping with me.

I felt bad for a while to tell you the truth, I felt responsible for your death, but even if I said no, you would've found someone else to pack or you would've packed your own parachute...

For some odd reason, I thought of you and the lady from the Ortega hill tonight.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016