mdrejhon

BSBD Steve Harrington - Flock University

Steve was in my circle of friends and he will be missed. He also, unfortunately, happens to be the first person I personally know, to pass away in skydiving.

________

Boston skydiver killed in Calif. tried record
(AP) – 1 hour ago

MURRIETA, Calif. — A skydiver from Boston killed in a California accident had tried to set a parachuting record in a charity jump hours before his death.

Forty-year-old Stephen Harrington of Boston landed Wednesday in a Murrietta driveway.

Authorities say he might have struck the tail of the plane and it was unclear whether his parachute deployed. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Eli Bolotin of the charity Raise the Sky says Harrington was among 68 people who earlier in the day jumped in formation from Lake Elsinore for a $5,000 fundraising event.

Bolotin says they were setting a U.S. record for jumps using wing suits — skydiving suits with winglike fabric panels.

The jump was successful but Bolotin says it had not yet been formally certified as a record.

--end---
(Assocated Press; from Google News)

From FlockUniversity.org

Requiem for a Wingsuiter

On November 11, 2009, the wingsuiting community lost one of its greatest and most unsung contributors. Earlier in the day, Steve Harrington had joined with dozens of other wingsuiters to set the US record for largest flock: a 68-way slot perfect design. On the last load of the day – a fun jump to celebrate that success – tragedy occurred when he struck the tail of the aircraft on exit.

Steve started skydiving in 1991, when he first went through AFF on a whim with his twin brother. Steve continued on in the skydiving world, when his twin drifted out of the sport. Despite his love for jumping, over time, his skydiving started to decrease. “I hadn’t made a lot of jumps in the preceding five or six years due to work commitments, recovery from a skiing accident, buying new home, and getting married,” he once remarked. All that turned around when he discovered wingsuiting. “Wingsuiting made me realize what I was missing; it just made me feel alive again,” he said. Steve co-founded Flock University because he loved wingsuiting and wanted to share that love and enthusiasm with other skydivers. That effort was just another manifestation of his quiet and unassuming – but consistently friendly and positive – manner. He was “one of those jumpers that you looked forward to seeing on the plane every time,” a friend wrote. “He always had a warm smile, welcoming attitude, and a keen eye for jumper safety.”

Steve was a trailblazer both in the sky and in his personal life. Steve married his partner, Adam, in one of the first same-sex marriages conducted following its legalization in Massachusetts. “My spouse is now in medical school – I guess that makes us a ‘power couple’ – a doctor and business professional”, Steve once joked.

He often remarked that skydiving has made him a more “complete” and “confident” person. “Friends at work always ask me about recent jumps and travels,” he once said. “They say their lives are boring in comparison, and they’re jealous... But they also say they are jealous that I am not tied down to a nagging wife,” he added with a smile.

A friend wrote, “Steve was always in a good mood, always positive – he lived his life the way he wanted to. He was a true and genuine human being. He was part of the reason we had so much fun jumping our wingsuits.” Another commented, “He touched many lives... We are all truly honored who got to share the air with him. He will not be forgotten...”

All of us at Flock University mourn Steve’s loss, and we all extend our deep condolences to Adam and Steve’s family.

Blue Skies, Steve... Fly free.

Steven Harrington (November 25, 1968 to November 11, 2009).

At WingsuitNews.com
http://news.flylikebrick.com/2009/11/in-memoriam-steve-harrington-1968-2009.html

Steve is also a 2006 Gay Way World Record holder, and a 2009 Gay Way World Record holder, having attended both the 2006 and 2009 boogies that I personally organized. Photo of the 2009 Team attached below, he is the upper-left in our group photo. Several of us in our group are devastated.

I don't fly wingsuits (yet) but I'm a wingsuit groupie vicariously living their passion through my fiance, Matt. So, I don't know Steve as well as some of the boys, but I always looked forward to seeing him at events. We just recently started talking a little bit more and got to know eachother better since Ballunar here in Houston a few weeks ago. He just sent me an email before he left for Elsinore.... I keep looking at it, and honestly I am just still in shock.

Any event I saw Steve at he was so happy go lucky. Even when the airline temporarily lost all of his gear/clothes in his suitcase during the Puerto Rico boogie he was just so easy going and no matter what has a smile on his face. He really was just a good soul.

The wingsuit and skydiving community really lost one of the greats.

**edited to add one of the pics Matt worked on last night. The Flock U guys have a really nice tribute set up: http://www.flockuniversity.org/
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I had the opportunity to meet Steve at a Cross Keys Boogie in August of this year. He and I were the only two wingsuiters at this event. I am very new to wingsuiting and when I meet him I only had about 25 wingsuit jumps. He was very kind and patient with me as he freely shared his skill of flying. He was the person that flew with me on my first twin otter jump. The news of his death has left me with a very heavy heart.

BSBD
Belynda Adams

Steve was a tremendous human being. He was a great flyer. but more than that, he was a great human being. We had quite a few conversations this week, and every one of them left me smiling. He had a very quick wit and unique sense of humor.
Fly free, Steve. A huge hole is left in the sky with your passing.

The wingsuit community and skydiving as a whole has lost a remarkable individual. Steve was a good friend and fellow wingsuiter of mine. I remember him always having a big smile and a great sense of humor about him. As all his close friends already know he was always upbeat and happy. The guy made everyone around him smile.

My heart is heavy with his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and the Flock U family.

BSBD my friend.
WSI-6 / PFI-55
The Brothers Gray Wingsuit Academy
http://www.myspace.com/cgwingsuitpilot
http://www.myspace.com/thebrothersgray

Several years back the wingsuit scene was pretty young. Not a lot of people owned them, Tony wasn't making suits yet and GTI's really were an "intermediate" suit. If you wanted to wingsuit and you lived on the east side of the US you traveled to ZHills. That's where the scene was and that's where I went to learn.

Most everyone had no real experience. The flocks were total slop. We zoomed all over the place, saw ourselves in grainy out of frame video and we loved it. There were a few guys though that were good and had the jumps, but instead of going off and doing their own thing they gathered everyone together, flew base(which is boring as shit) and grew the sport.

Steve was a part of our base. We're stronger today for him having been with us through the years and all the weaker now with his passing.

Mark

Words just can't express the loss to the sport with Steve's passing. I first met Steve and his partner Adam in Montreal in 2006 and even though I couldn't be on the record dive because of my soft ankle I still managed to jump with him on a few dives. I thoroughly enjoyed our meeting up again in Cross Keys and jumping on the 2009 GWWR RW dive. Every successful skydive starts with a solid base and Steve was in the base on this jump and his flying helped make the dive successful. Steve was just a great all around guy who really liked wingsuiting and liked to share it with others like Belynda said in a previous post. I'm going to really miss him not being their next year at Cross Keys but I know he will be there in spirit with us.

Blue Skies Steve

Chris

What a tragedy. It was a great pleasure to have met you Steve, and the world is that much dimmer with you gone. May you find peace and blue skies now that you have left us behind.

You will be missed.

BSBD,
GaVak
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

I am so tired of losing people! Steve... what can I say? Adam my heart goes out to you. I have no words. We met in Montreal 2006 and I remember fondly the time we spent together. I don't have enough fingers or toes to count all the losses I've endured in the pursuit of flight...and it never gets easier. I just have to say how sad this news makes me...sad, and tired.
Fly free my friend. Fly free.
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

I didn't know Steve as well as some of you. I did get a chance to get to know him better at this event. What I will remember about Steve...

Seeing him walking around the DZ barefoot or in flip flops even when everyone was cold and had their jackets on.

Pleasant conversations with him around the fish pond, around the picnic table at breakfast, and at dinner at Don Jose's with a bunch of skydivers the night before he died.

Sitting next to Steve on the plane on what was to be his last skydive. Nearing time for my group to exit we were doing the usual "fist bump" and I said to him, "Have a great jump, man". To which he replied with a smile, "I shall".
... Marion

Marion

In the short time I've known Steve and jumped with him, I made the following comment to him at Cross Keys this August about his barefoot flying. "You and Roger Ponce always jumping barefoot no matter how cold it is" He just laughed it off. He was a fun guy.

Chris

Seeing him walking around the DZ barefoot or in flip flops even when everyone was cold and had their jackets on.

I told Steve about 3 different times this week to "put some shoes on, you hippy." You could tell him coming from a mile away, from the way he walked and often he had his shoes in one hand if there was a jump coming up soon.

I rarely ever heard him make a complaint or negative comment about anyone or anything. What a great man he was... I saw his face in a crowd twice yesterday. [:/] Can't get it off of my mind.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Steve was one of my first wingsuiting friends in the US after I moved back from South Africa. Relentlessly positive, meticulous, smiling, hilarious at times, I was privileged to know him both on and off the dropzone. After meeting his husband Adam, I looked forward not just to many more years of flying with Steve and seeing his grin at the dropzone - but also to sharing more fun times on the ground.

Adam is in medical school and was studying for exams this week while we made our Wingsuit Formation record attempts at Lake Elsinore to raise money for City Year. One of our taglines was "If we can fly, you can graduate!" Steve took a photo of the banner and sent it to Adam to make him laugh.

At our last team debrief, I announced to the group that Steve's family had made a sizable donation to City Year through Raise the Sky, to support Steve's jumps for charity. Everyone applauded. I had told him many times throughout this year that in starting Raise the Sky and organizing a wingsuit record for a cause, I just wanted to get him to come out and participate.

He requested a slot at the front left of the formation, flying behind me. He got it. I will treasure those jumps for the rest of my life.

During the week Steve asked me to text Adam and thank him for letting Steve come out and participate in the record. I did. I never thought I would be calling back with such heart wrenching news not long later.

Adam has asked that people please email photos of Steve to him at [email protected]. Having lost a partner myself, my soul aches for what Adam, and Steve's entire family, is going through now. If those who knew Steve can take the time to write something about him and send their photos, it would mean lot to them.

"Blue Skies. This sport glows brightly, and burns incomparably beautiful images into our memories. That brightness comes at a very high cost. It's the lives of our friends, the blood and the bones of our sky family. That's the dark side, the Black Death. There is no one without the other." -Eric "tonto" Stephenson

-T

A memorial service is being planned for next week in Boston. I will update here when I have the details.
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Hello. I am writing this searching for answers. We are the family/residence where Steve landed in Murrieta. I watched the entire thing and we were there to comfort and be with him in his last moments although he was not breathing. Our family has been deeply affected by this tradegy and would like to share something we witnessed with birds and peace with his family. If you feel it would be appropriate for me to contact them could you please let us know. We continue to pray for his family.

Kelli

Blue Skies Steve. Thank you for those few wingsuit jumps. You were so generous to share your time, your warmth, awesome additude, and your knowledge.

Almost all of my few wingsuit jumps were coach jumps with Steve, right away I was so impressed with Steve's personality, and his encouragment.

I will aspire to show others in my life the spirit that you showed me.

My heart goes out to all of Steve's family and loved ones, I hope you may find peace, I am so sorry for your loss.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Steve's memorial service will be held next Saturday, Nov. 21st at 11:00 AM.

Wellesley Congregational Church
2 Central St.
Wellesley, MA

The church is right in the center of town and a reception will follow.

Edited to add: Adam is planning an ash dive at Skydive Pepperell in Massachusetts in the spring, when the weather thaws. Everyone will be welcome.
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Many Condolences to Steve's family and friends. He was a fantastic flier and was obviously excited to be flying at the 2009 record jumps. As his Plane Captain I was positive that I could count on him to fly his slot and he did not let me down. In the times I flew with Steve he proved himself to be a great flocker. He was also one of the nicer people on the ground and his loss will be one not only for the North East WS crew but also the entire WS community. Blue Skies Steve......
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thank you all for leaving your thoughts and memories of my precious twin Steve. It means so incredibly much to my entire family to read these warm words. Having been with Steve at several events, and listening to him talk about his circle of friends & family in the sport, it's very clear how much affection he had for so many people. I feel like I know some of you already actually since Steve would often mention so many by name. I look forward to seeing Fran, the group in Pepperell, and all of Steve's friends that can make it in the Spring to thank you for everything that you gave Steve and to celebrate the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful life he had.

Someone prior posted the details of the service for Steve, and by all means, our family welcomes you to that and hope that you can come to share Steve's memory.

Again, thanks for the thoughts, pictures and help you have given us.

parker
[email protected]
(781) 328-1151