VladislavZhukov

Gary Douris

One of our Friends is no longer with us, that is Gary Douris.

Gary passed away at home with all his friends and family around him.

Gary was a Skydiver, Pilot, Rigger, Parachute Manufacturer, Vietnam Veteran Hero, Mentor, Animal Enthusiast and Sushi Connoisseur.

Gary was very Caring and Giving Man who touched many lives around the Globe !

You will always be in our hearts , we will miss you buddy!

Blue Skies Forever

I had the pleasure of knowing and working with Gary Douris for many, many years and I can state unequivocally that he was truly a giant amongst men. He did so very many different things, and he did them all to a standard of perfection.

I am a richer, and a better, man for having been by his side.

God speed, Gary Douris.

Gary was always aware that the sport could be more safe and that jumpers were often taking unnecessary chances. Whenever he spotted a problem he was not afraid to tell the industry and/or skydivers at large. He loved jumping and jumpers. Very cool guy easy to talk to and understand.

tail winds Gary

jon

Gary was on my SCR load and he was there and watched as I had my first malfunction on a Paracommander with a 26 foot LoPo reserve. One hell of a guy that's for sure. And he was Air Trash.

Instead of saying rest in peace I'm going to say:

Give em hell up there Gary!
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Gary Douris. What a helluva nice guy.

The first time I was in Perris in the early 80’s Gary invited me over to his home. I will never forget going into one of the cages with his BIG cats. The calm confidence and trust Gary exuded was the only thing that got me in that cage. And I’m so glad I did it. To touch and be with these big cats is one of those special memories in my life that I will never forget.

Thank you Gary!

Gary, You flew Wayne and I on our wedding jump in 1990. Always gracious and kind. You invited me to go to Bali to visit you family there. You impacted their lives in such a way we could never imagine with your generosity.

You will be missed, BSBD Gary! Have some 'heavenly' sushi

love to your family, jeanie
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Most of us that jumped in Calif. for years knew Gary. He was one of the good guys and will be missed.
Like Nick said...another Marine now guarding the streets of Heaven.
Go easy Gary.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I was fortunate to have known Gary for many years. He was an Oregonian originally.

Back in '96 I was at my son's high school graduation and lo & behold Gary walks by. His nephew and my son were classmates.

Gary flew the very first DC-3 load out of Sheridan, OR and I was lucky to have been on that load with him.

Whenever I was in the southland area and if I had the time I would always stop by FreeFlight and visit with him. Once I stopped by the office and they said that he was out at the dz doing a drop test. So I drove over to the dz and watched this very heavy drop. As soon as the canopy began to fill it completely shredded. Gary was not really a happy-camper at that moment ( that was a lot of money spent with little return ) and you always knew when he was mad; he did not have to tell you.

He was a rather quite person who gave so much more to this sport and industry than most of us can begin to fathom.

Take care old friend,

JerryBaumchen

Gary was a very trusted friend for over 20 years. He was my former business partner and someone of incredible intergity. Gary was President and founder of Perris Valley Skydiving Society, Inc. which re-opened Perris in August 1985. He was President and founder of Cy Perkins Parachute Club back in 1961 which reopened Elsinore. Gary was a Vietnam War Hero as well as a hero to many souhern California skydivers as well as around the world.

He will be missed.

Tony Brogdon
D-18555
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

I am at a loss for words, I've known him for years, I can't believe he's gone. Garry was one of my mentors (pre, through and post Flight Line) and was always there with sober, candid and non judgmental advice. He was my neighbor and my friend and would always rely on " the facts" rather than the latest gossip. I am a greater person for knowing and learning from him. I can't fathom him not being here to council and advise when needed. the world is a lesser place without him!! Gary, BSBD you are sorley missed. This man was the quintisesual sensi in all matters about parachuting and life. I'm saddened that he is gone but his mark will live on, he touched so many people and turned them in the right direction ,the world has lost a gentalman giant. Gary your sprit will live on. I'm crying right now and will try to post more at a later time, I miss you bro, you are/ were one of the best fiends I can still count on one hand. (you know , it's a small list). Thank you for all of your'e help and support. Best vibes to Earnie and Anthony.

Mick Cottle. Skydiver, equipment builder.

Over the last year I was able to visit the southland several times and go out to dinner with Gary, Kevin Donnely and several other old friends I have known over the past 44 years.

Last month was my last visit and it was clear that Gary was in a lot discomfort. When I reminded Gary of the day he grounded my brother and I along with the entire load for low-pulling during a jump-in from Taft, Gary got a great big smile and laughed. He had a sparkle in his eyes, and I saw again that red-headed kid I knew back in the 60’s. He was full of fire and ready to get into jumping / rigging / flying discussions again.

I’m going to miss that kid with the red hair and fire in his eyes.

My thanks to Vladislav Zhukov for posting pictures of Gary. They bring back great memories.

Regards,
Dennis Henley
SCR-216

I am at a loss for words, I've known him for years, I can't believe he's gone. Garry was one of my mentors (pre, through and post Flight Line) and was always there with sober, candid and non judgmental advice. He was my neighbor and my friend and would always rely on " the facts" rather than the latest gossip. I am a greater person for knowing and learning from him. I can't fathom him not being here to council and advise when needed. the world is a lesser place without him!! Gary, BSBD you are sorley missed. This man was the quintisesual sensi in all matters about parachuting and life. I'm saddened that he is gone but his mark will live on, he touched so many people and turned them in the right direction ,the world has lost a gentalman giant. Gary your sprit will live on. I'm crying right now and will try to post more at a later time, I miss you bro, you are/ were one of the best fiends I can still count on one hand. (you know , it's a small list). Thank you for all of your'e help and support. Best vibes to Earnie and Anthony.

Mick Cottle. Skydiver, equipment builder.

My bad, Ernie and Abe, it's been a long four months and I was very tired when I wrote this.

Mick.

I grew up on Elsinore and had Gary as a family friend as long as I have been alive. He was generous with his time and money, and could eat more sushi than anyone I ever met. He showed me what is still my favorite sushi restaurant anywhere. You will be missed for a long time Gary.

Dave Donnelly

Sorry to read this. I have known Gary for way over 20 years. Had the pleasure of meeting his cats too,
and occasional wolves - you name it. Enjoyed his visits to Hawaii and my visits to California when he always
had a spare room for me. He was truly one of the "great guys" and will be missed by many.
Thanks for leading the way Gary - see you later.

Flip
Flip

Here, from his associates, is more information on how to participate in remembering Gary.

HW

Gary's family & extended family would like to thank everyone for the
overwhelming response, comments, love and stories that have come their
way since the first news of Gary's decline in health was sent out such
a short time ago.

The official date set for the memorial/ash dive is November the 14th
and will be at the Lake Elsinore DZ. For Hotels please google on Lake
Elsinore California Hotels and Murrieta California Hotels. For those
who know the area you can also pull up some choices near the Perris DZ
by typing in Canyon Lake California Hotels. These searches will give
you a map showing where all the hotels are. Be sure and ask for
Skydivers discount, some local hotels do give discounts.

In the meantime if anyone has photos they would like to have included
in the memorial please either put on a CD or clearly mark who they
belong to with return address and send to:

Postal address:

Free Flight
ATTN: Pam
PO Box 1548,
Wildomar, CA 92595.

Fed Ex or UPS:

Free Flight
20590 Cereal Street, Suite 300,
Lake Elsinore, Ca 92530

PLEASE: GIVE AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE REGARDING ANY PHOTOS THAT
ARE SENT, TIME PERIOD, NAMES OF PEOPLE IN THE PHOTO ETC. It is always
good to know who you are looking at!!

Also, you may want to check out the dropzzone.com and Airtrash.com
sites, both have tributes to our fine friend!!

Speaking on behalf of Gary's family, I would like to request donations
in Gary's memory be made to Operation Helmet. It would be appreciated
if this request could be posted or otherwise communicated to the folks
on your various mailing lists, etc.

Operation Helmet was started in 2004 by Dr. Bob Meaders (Captain in
the Medical Corps, USN Retired, and Vietnam Veteran) to provide good
quality helmet liner pads to our troops serving in Iraq and
Afghanistan - Marine, Army, Navy, National Guard. Good helmet pads
are critically important in helping to prevent traumatic brain
injuries; the pads provided by the military services are of very poor
quality. To date, Operation Helmet has provided more than 45,000 sets
of pads, free of charge, to all service personnel requesting them.

In addition to being a respected and beloved pilot, jumper, and all
around good guy, former Gunnery Sergeant Gary Douris was a decorated
Vietnam veteran, and a "Marine's Marine" to the very core of his
being. Supporting and protecting "his Marines" who go "outside the
wire" remained important to him throughout his life.

Support for Operation Helmet was an on-going, important part of Gary's
life the last several years. On their web site, he is mentioned by
name on both their list of donors and, since his death, under the "In
Memorium" page on the site.

Donations can be sent to:

Operation Helmet
c/o Dr. Bob Meaders
74 Greenview Street
Montgomery, TX 77356

Additional information is available at www.Operation-Helmet.org

Thank you, on behalf of Gary's family.

In case you haven't heard, the Gary Douris Memorial Tribute will be Saturday November 14 at Skydive Elsinore.

The organizers have gone 'all out,' and this is really going to be quite a memorable event.

All Friends of Gary are welcome, of course, but if you do plan to attend, you should RSVP to the organizers, so they can get a head count. (PM me if you need contact info.)

We'll give ol' "Red" Douris quite a send off!

Jerry

[Bump.] Yesterday, March 3, was the 6-month anniversary of Gary's untimely death. It was also the 6-month anniversary of my first-ever airplane purchase. On that day, I stopped by Gary's house in Lake Elsinore to tell him the good news, knowing that Gary always loved to talk about airplanes. Alas, I arrived too late that day for a final face-to-face chat. (Heavy sigh.)

However, as many of us are aware, Gary is still very much with us; his light shines through the smiling faces of all those lives he touched.

So, yesterday I took Gary out flying for the first time ever with me as the PIC. It was just me and a photo of of a smiling Gary from his wake. We did steep power turns and wifferdills and we played with the clouds and we had a great time together.

As you can see, Gary is still affecting the lives he touched, still putting a smile on people's faces.

I'll see you around, Gary Douris.