VladislavZhukov

Gary Douris

After talking about Gary with an old jumper buddy, who's no longer active the other day...Some thoughts kept popping into my head.

Fond memories of times past for sure, but most significantly was the 'true respect' I guess I realize I have for someone that gave so much to so many so often for so long.

His kind don't come around very often and we're less without him...

~ So damn few people on this rock will be remember that way.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

OMG----The times that Hallam and I got under Gary's skin! The times my kids got him riled up! Those were the days!!!! Never will forget him. The day he walked onto the DZ with one of his cats and my 4 yr old wanted to pet the kitty. I almost had a heart attack! Scaaaary shit. Great guy, funny guy, I loved to get him going, just to get his reaction. ONE OF A KIND, that's for sure. Save me a seat (Doris), cuz you know we got lots to talk about. Love, Sandy
Sandy

Well, it has now been one whole year since we lost Gary, 9/3/09, but it seems like yesterday. To properly mark the date, I put on my very best 'Gary T-shirt' and did a little early-morning "Gary Memorial Flight" in my little light-sport airplane.

(Coincidentally, today is also the one-year birthday for my little flying filly; I stopped by Gary's house that day on the way home to give him the good news. Sigh.)

Anyway, I flew over Gary's old homestead in Lake Elsinore and I dropped some wildflowers I had picked by the airport. Then I turned back south and did a flyby at Skydive Elsinore, dropping more flowers over the DZ and airport.

Then I headed home with a smile on my face. RIP Gary, you are still in our thoughts,

Gary Douris was my very good friend -- we made many jumps together at Elsinore. Shared many stories and made a few together. Here is a photo of us on a 28,000 ft oxygen jump over Elsinore.

Fortunately we shared some of those stories a couple of weeks before he died. I miss him.
Blueskys & Fairwinds
.. grayeagle (bill davis)
.... 1st jump 1961
...... scr97