skyjules

tracking dives

What type of liscence do you need to have to participate in a tracking dive?

so rephrased, what should one have to do a zoo load at the end of the day - say 12 people.

a really REALLY good track. :|

FWIW, i like to keep my tracking dives to 6-9 people if i know I will loose a couple of them, larger is ok if I know they will be able to get really flat.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

so rephrased, what should one have to do a zoo load at the end of the day - say 12 people.

a really REALLY good track. :|

FWIW, i like to keep my tracking dives to 6-9 people if i know I will loose a couple of them, larger is ok if I know they will be able to get really flat.

aye - I've avoided this end of day setups as I've rarely done them with others, and never more than 3 others. I worry about sinking away.

It feels to me like the big sky doctrine is overly used in planning track dives.

What type of liscence do you need to have to participate in a tracking dive?

For a regular tracking dive: A good organiser/leader who can fly rabbit on their back rather well. A solid break-off plan, including what to do if you go low/are left behind. A core of people that can be trusted to go where they're supposed to, and only a couple of newer folk who've proved themselves capable in smaller tracking jumps.

I don't know exactly what you mean by a zoo load, as we don't use the term here in Oz.

I don't know exactly what you mean by a zoo load, as we don't use the term here in Oz.

as I mean to use it - someone decides the sunset load (or perhaps 1before) will be a tracking or XC or speedstar or whatever and makes an announcement. Anyone interested joins the fun. Nice on the social aspects, but not so sure on the safety side. So some I'll do, others I'll watch and wait till I'm better.

as I mean to use it - someone decides the sunset load (or perhaps 1before) will be a tracking or XC or speedstar or whatever and makes an announcement. Anyone interested joins the fun. Nice on the social aspects, but not so sure on the safety side. So some I'll do, others I'll watch and wait till I'm better.

If Im leading the track dive its usually being planned by 2 in the afternoon or so. I get the same folks a lot. typically, I can count on a core of 6-8 people that have been on dives with me before. I will take on a few more that are unexperienced and brief them accordingly.
if you're not in the dive by XXXX, then stop, and track in Y direction (x, and y dependent on any other groups on the load, load size, and group size.)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

For a regular tracking dive: A good organiser/leader who can fly rabbit on their back rather well. A solid break-off plan, including what to do if you go low/are left behind. A core of people that can be trusted to go where they're supposed to, and only a couple of newer folk who've proved themselves capable in smaller tracking jumps.

In short, the sort of organising that is taken for granted in other types of skydiving. Its a shame it so often seems to be overlooked in tracking dives.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I LOOOVE tracking dives.

They are the one jump that when you improve, you increase your safety on every other jump from that point on.

your tracking can never be too good.... unless you track so far on normal jumps you start landing off :ph34r:

MB 3528, RB 1182

Well, I wouldn't expect that to begin with, but I guess thats what a tracking dive is

A tracking dive is not a zoo load.

Free bird Forever

Could you put that into your signature please? (Click Edit Profile near the top of the page, then User Profile, scroll down to Signature then enter it there)