GLIDEANGLE

Chris (Bear) Johnson

Bear jumped in North Central Texas. He is gone.

-----

From Bear's mother:

Subject: Sweet Christopher Lehane Johnson

My dearest Friends,

Our beautiful Chris' spirit left this world Tuesday April 7th 2009.

-----

Bear's death was NOT due to a skydiving incident.

My sincere sympathy goes out to his family.

To Bear:

I wish you could have found the peace you sought. You will be missed.

Jim

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Christopher...:(
This news breaks my heart. You meant the world to me as an amazing friend and more. I haven't been able to focus the last few days after hearing the news.

I'm going to miss our late night phone calls, emails, you poking me calling me Nerd, and all the times we just sat and talked about life.

I went back through my logbook to remember all our jumps, and I realized my first A-license jump was a 2-way with you. My first kiss pass was with you. My first hybrid was with you. I had a lot of great times with you in the air and on the ground.

Thank you for sharing so much with me. You will be missed terribly. I can see your mischievous smile right now...Hugs to you always my friend. I hope your soul finally has found some peace.

Nikki

~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Chris.. The first time I met you, you were carrying me inside after a bad landing and propping my hurt ankle up on a pile of beanbags. I didn't even know you at the time but that didnt stop you from looking after me. You were an amazing guy and I have many fun memories of us goofing around at the DZ.. One of the last memories I have of you is sitting outside with a box of markers coloring freefly suit order forms...I can't wait til it arrives so I can see what a good job we did :)

I grew up with Chris in Fort Worth. I have some great memories of Chris. We went to school together as kids. We were in the same cabin every year when we went to Camp Longhorn. Great guy to be around. I can still picture him at Camp asking me to tell more "once in my mommas belly" jokes (obviously an inside joke) and he would laugh his ass off.... He threw some of the craziest, funnest parties during high school....

Last time I saw Chris was actually at the Gravity Rats Skydiving Center grand opening. THIS IS FUNNY.... So I show up a little later than I wanted and just in time to see a friend land and de-gear. My friend Jamie was talking to this guy that apparently he had just jumped with. This big hairy bearded guy "BEAR" was explaining to Jamie what he needed to work on to get better at sitflying. (At this point Jamie and I had 40-50 jumps total) So I am introduced to "Bear" and I take this opportunity as a wanna-be-freeflyer noob to start asking him some questions about the best way to go about even attempting a sitfly. We are talking for like 5-10 minutes when all of a sudden he says "what a sec, is your last name Taylor??" I look at him as he is taking off his sunglasses "YES, how the hell did you know that??" He goes "its me Chris Johnson!".... I was so freaking excited. I couldn't believe it. We hadn't seen each other in probably 8 years and we were talking for a while and neither of us even realized it. This is when I found out that he had only started jumping 5-6 months ago and had already racked up something like 350 jumps. I was so damn jealous. Here I am at 50 jumps, been in the sport 9 months and this asshole has 7 times as many jumps as I did!!
The sad part about this is we never did a jump together that day, I moved to Colorado two weeks later and to this day we never got to skydive together. We planned on jumping last Thanksgiving while I was in town but the weather screwed us. He is the only childhood friend I know that shared my greatest passion and I blew the only opportunity I had to jump with him.... I have been thinking about Chris a lot lately.

MY Thoughts are with Chris and his family and he will be missed by many!!

Love ya buddy, Adam