howardwhite

William H. Tucker

I've just learned, very belatedly, of the death of William H. Tucker, an 82nd Airborne Division WW2 combat jumper who went on to become probably the only skydiver in a prominent position in the Kennedy administration.
He jumped into St.-Mere-Eglise on D-Day, and had made an earlier combat jump in Salerno, Italy. His final combat jump was during Operation Market Garden in Holland in September, 1944. He wrote four books about his combat experiences.
He lived for a time in Athol, MA, near the Orange Sport Parachute Center, and became an active skydiver there. He was a member of the Massachusetts Parachuting Commission, the state board which oversaw facilities for the Sixth World Parachuting Championships in Orange in 1962.
A lawyer active in state politics, he was a friend and campaign worker for Kennedy, who appointed him a member and then chairman of the U.S. Interstate Commerce Commission.
In a March, 1961 Associated Press story published in newspapers around the country, he said he "dropped golf and took up parachuting because I found it more relaxing."
He added "In the next few years I think parachuting will become as well known a sport in the United States, and as well followed, as it is in France, where it compares to a major sport in this country."
Last July 14 (Bastille Day) he was presented the French Legion of Honor.
He was a founding president of the 82nd Airborne Division C-47 Club.
He died Nov. 21.
He was the second Massachusetts D-Day veteran skydiver to die in 2009; Robert M. Murphy passed away earlier in the year.

HW

As a former member of the 82d(Peace Time '56-'58) I was priviledged to take the Normandy Tour in '07 and got familiar with William Tucker. One of his books,D Day: Thirty-Five Days in Normandy is a great read for those interested in the
Airborne Invasion of Normandy.
Another of our Great Generation" that has slipped the bounds of earth".