jonstark

Howard Haig

Howard passed a few days ago. He had begun to make a home in the Florida Keys and died while enroute to his home in the LA area to pick up his pets. There are a lot of folks who will miss him. One told me he "Loved him like a dad but hung out with him like school kids." I personally loved him like a big brother and always wished some of his class and savior-faire would rub off on me. He was cool.

Couple of stories... Jim Handbury and Howard used to hang glide together. Howard wanted to skydive. Jim faked him a log book and told him what to do. Howard showed up at Elsinore and talked his way onto a load and made his first jump solo... Another one... Howard was the driver for the Flatbed ten. If you hafta ask never mind...

Howard and his son have won more world titles in speed water skiing than anyone ever. Todd skis and dad either drove or helicoptered to monitor. His dedication to and love for his son was immense.

He was by far my favorite traveling partner. A very selfish part of me mourns his loss. I never got enough of the guy. I'm sure there are many many others missing him as well.

Fly on brah!

jon

There's a classic Howard, Denise & Tom Sanders shot on the aerialfocus website on the Photo Gallery for Perrine Memorial Day 2001, Page 1 (P5010134), not to mention Howard being the 1st two shots on Page 1.

You will be missed, but never forgotten my friend.

Kaye

There's a classic Howard, Denise & Tom Sanders shot on the aerialfocus website on the Photo Gallery for Perrine Memorial Day 2001, Page 1 (P5010134), not to mention Howard being the 1st two shots on Page 1.

Link: http://www.aerialfocus.com/perrine5-01/P5010134.html

Of the three people in that photo, which is Howard?

The referenced "Page 1": http://www.aerialfocus.com/perrine5-01/index-1.html

I met Howard Haig at a Christmas party down here in Newport Beach a while back. And ever since meeting him, the only thing I looked forward to around the holidays was talking to Howard and Todd at the annual Christmas party. He really had the power to make you feel like an old friend immediately after meeting him.

Condolences to Todd.

Blue skies Howard.

Here's how the send-off went last weekend...

e-mail from a friend who attended:

Jon, it was unbelievable - 550 people showed up and jammed that church! There were about 50 who had to stand! There was a jumping contingent, a water-ski contingent, the construction crowd, family, friends, neighbors - it was nuts! Afterwards at Redlands CC, there was a gigantic party with filet mignon, all-you-can-eat sushi (the family hired the main chef from his favorite sushi place), tons of alcohol...

One funny moment in the church came from this one guy who obviously regularly did a lot of lumber business with Howard. After the slide show (enormous!), he got up on the "open mike" and said "....now that I saw the pictures, it just confirms it - that f%#cker was nuts!!!!" He also said a bunch of other hilarious, irreverent things. Needless to say, the open mike was shut down after that. Howard would have loved it!

What a guy - what a loss, huh?

Still can't believe he's gone west.

jon

Wow I just found this out. That sucks. I remember riding back from bridge day with Howard and Kliff Keltner. Howard was wearing an acapulco shirt and we stopped for a beer in a hick little bar. As we walked in it went deathly quiet and then the barmaid shouts...'What the f..k is this, Miami Vice?!' Every time I met him he'd bring it up. Shit. That's a loss. He was a class act.

Wow I just found this out. That sucks. I remember riding back from bridge day with Howard and Kliff Keltner. Howard was wearing an acapulco shirt and we stopped for a beer in a hick little bar. As we walked in it went deathly quiet and then the barmaid shouts...'What the f..k is this, Miami Vice?!' Every time I met him he'd bring it up. Shit. That's a loss. He was a class act.

He got a kick out of that trip. I heard the story of the hick bar a few times. It really cracked him up.

I feel cheated!! I lived in California and know many of Howard s friends. Yet never had the pleasure of knowing him. I had seen the pictures of him on the inside cover of Parachutist this month. All I can think of is " A life well lived'!!

Blue Skies Howard.