tbdavis1

In memory of Steve King

After a long battle with a liver disease Steve went on his journey to the next level. I will always remember Steve as the driving force for me to continue our pursuit of being the world champions of CRW when it was in its infancy. Although we never quite got there we did win the US nationals in 4 way rotation and 3 times in the 8 way speed as the Eclipse parachute team 1982 to 1986. When Steve had a project in work he did what ever it took to get it done, he was actually about three weeks away from completing his snowmobile camp in Idaho that he and his business partner were building and he planned to quit work and operate the camp year round.
There several of his close Friends from the skydiving community and his work at his side during his passing. Blue Sky's Steve and I will see you again.
Tbdavis1

I just heard that Steve's Funeral is next Saturday, December 27th at 3 PM at Flintofts Funeral Home in Issaquah.

The address there is 540 East Sunset Way, Issaquah Phone 425-392-6444.

I'll miss you Steve. You didn't let on to the rest of us that you were dealing with the liver disease. The big strong silent type until the end. We'll raise a toast or two in your name. Blue skies & RIP

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

Cinderella story …

Just when one thinks they have so many very important things to do & life is a blur with busyness .. I get a call from #7 with news .. Steve King died.

Steve you were an inspiration 28 years ago when I met you and again today when I reflect on the many many memories of you. Your passion, high energy, commitment to excellence and hard work to be the best has been & is a great influence to many of us through the years.

“So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.”

Nothing tangible is really all that important, after all what will it matter in 100 years ..

Blue Skies Steve

A great big man who has left a great big empty space..King, the Big Cone Head. I was there thirty years ago when he started jumping, so many stories, so many laughs, so many friends left behind. That's the true measure of a man.
Big Cone Head, I saw you last this summer. It had been more than ten years. I could see that you were sick...but you kept it to yourself. We didn't always get along; we didn't always agree, but we were always friends.
Tonight I lift a pint and toast our team captain:
"O Captain, my Captain! Ourfearful trip is done..." (Whitman)

Maggott, #7.
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

Hi Tim,

I remember Steve King. I also remember how good your teams "Considerable Difficulty" and "Eclipse" were. I remember Steve as pretty cocky. But, I guess if you're wearing some of the first gold medals in CRW around your neck (or actually on a plaque, remember), and you're three times the size of everyone around you, you can afford to be a little cocky. I recall the barbs that went back and forth between our California team and you guys from Washington. We had the greatest respect for you guys. I jumped with one of your old teammates a couple of years ago, Doug Scofield. He mentioned that Steve was into the snowmobile thing. We lost Bear a little over two years ago; another big guy in CRW.

Blue Skies,

Russ Pinney

Hey Russ,
It has been a long time, Steve was an intimidating guy but he really never was a violent guy but at his size he didn't really have to be most sane people would walk away. Sorry to hear about Bear, I remember when I was down in Parris in 82 and did some CRW we built some 11 planes heck you were probably on the load. I wasn't real good at keeping a log book with names and such you always think about that stuff later. Doug S kept me up on all the CRW stuff as I see him every couple months.
So how is Terry Parsons doing still jumping? Well I have to go and Do Xmas keep in touch, I realize now how important it is, its been years since I have seen some of my Eclipse team members But I'm sure I'll see them Saturday at the Memorial.
Blue Skies.
Tbdavis1

Tim it is a sad reason to meet up but it will be good to see you - will Patti come to the service as well? Tell her I'd love to see her show up. DanT is going to give me a ride to the memorial because the weather still stinks up north and anyway, I'd rather not drive down for that alone.

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

Very sorry for your loss. Condolences to all. That's Steve wearing our team's shirt from the CRW nationals in i guess '82. We did the 20-stack with you guys/gal and 4 others wedged between our 8-way teams in 82 over Muskogee. Jump Street never ends. He, and your team, made a huge positive impact on the sport... Again, regrets...

Hey you know what that was 1984 for sure,
I didn't have a beard in 82. But in 1982 we did put together a perfect 20 plane and quickly at that. I remember how hard the selection was for that. we also had to get the night stacks in. We put all nine of our guys up so we could rotate and always have eight in. We missed the DZ by 5 miles. Thank god Oklahoma is flat I think we walked more in that state than anywhere we ever went.
If you know Vince Bizzaro (not sure if the spelling is right). could you make sure he knows about Steve.
Tbdavis1

It has been nearly 30 years since I was at Issaquah. I came to "dropzone" to find any of my old friends that I used to jump with. I found this post about the "BIG CONE".

I remember fondly being part of the first group of, Coneheads. (If my memory serves I was #18) I was only a child back then. Issaquah was my life during the time that I jumped there. Steve was somebody you just expected to see everyday. If you were not at the dropzone then where were you?

While I've not been around for a long time I could not see this post and not pay my respects to a great person.

Right On Jeff.
I was looking around this forum, with tears in my eyes...having just lost another friend today, i was feeling nostalgic. I stumbled again across this post. I have been thinking about "the big cone". Though he and I never really agreed on anything, we were always friends, and he could make me laugh like no one else.
I was cone head number 4 (If memory serves). My best friend, Kirk Edison (1962-1978) bestowed the name "CONE HEAD" upon the King brothers just before he went in. And to my recollection, he was #3, which would make me #4.
I'm sure I have certificate somewhere. Ancient history, that!
Anyway. I miss you, and hope to see you soon.
Blue Skies, my friend, Blue skies!
~Ricky
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

So it's almost 11 years since My brother Steve passed and I thought it was time to push him back to the front of the line. If anyone that knew him sees this, please feel free to share a story about him.

Thanks, Mark