Swoopin43

Smitty the jumper

A great addition to those photos would be that of Smitty, the oldest jumper, posing with Charlie Mullins, the youngest jumper, at the time. Charlie was something like 12 or 13 years old. It's up on the wall at West Tennessee Skydiving. Smitty was well into his 80's if I'm not mistaken.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I never met Smitty, Heck I was barely out of diapers when he made his last jump, but reading what all of you had to say about him in the forums he sounds like an amazing person. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of his "rig" that he started with, it scares me when I see a paracommander, I can only imagine what his handmade gear was like. BSBD

I met Smitty September 1977 he day of my first jump, Sky Sports, Hutchinson , Kansas. We became very good friends until he died.
I brought Smitty to Perris December 15th, 1985 to make a promtional Tandem. He was truly an incredible human being as well as a true pioneer of the sport. He has always been one of my heros in my life.
Blue Skies Smitty!
Tony Brogdon
D-12855