NTHRIWZ

Harry Leicher is gone ...

Very sad loss indeed. I'll echo another's thoughts in saying I never imagined Harry would be a skydiving fatality. He was always so safety conscious.

Had a lot of laughs with him, fun jumps, he gave great skydiving advice, and he was one of the "old time skydivers" I much admired. The man in red will be greatly missed.

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to Janna.

Blue Skies Harry.

Stacy Giarrusso

A few memories....

Harry Leicher flew with me for over 50 hours during my first year as a new pilot. He was my very first instructor and he got me hooked on the world of flying. Now matter how many times I slammed the plane onto the runway, he was always patient, supportive, and encouraging. He would meet me at Norms on Saturdays to help me study flight manuals and he seldom asked to be paid for all of his extra time. When it came time for my first solo flight, he was so excited that he stood just off the runway with a radio in one hand and snapping rolls of pictures with the other. No matter where I wanted to go (airshows, Big Bear, Catalina), Harry was always up for it because he just loved to fly.

My favorite memory of Harry was my 100th skydive at Perris. I had planned to go out to the dropzone earlier in the day, but work had come up and it looked like I was going to be too late. At the last minute, Harry and I flew a plane from Long Beach to Perris, just to catch the last load of the day. At the time, I was a fairly new jumper so I did not know many people. Harry quickly put together a few experienced jumpers to help me look "cool" on my 100th jump at we got Craig to film it all. Take a look at the attached photo - I felt pretty cool as a newbie!

Harry, thank you for being there at so many milestones in my life. You were an incredibly caring, warm, generous, encouraging, and special person to have known. I know that I achieved things that I never would have had the heart or determination to have done without you. You will forever be remembered and have a special place in my heart.

Elizabeth

:(:( This is just not fair. I can't say anything that other's haven't already said. The first time I met you at LP in 2002, your warm smile let me know that you were truly a good and genuine person. You and Janna were two of the people I looked forward to seeing the most. Your care for me and my hubby when he was in Kalispell Regional. Our IM conversations after a long day of work while Janna was out training. Your speaches about how you didn't like me swooping. The countless "Be careful, I care too much about you." Just two weeks ago I heard those words. We'll miss you. Fly Free with our friends. Say hi to Joel for us.
Feisty
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

Harry, you will be missed dearly. Godspeed to the 'big' parachute jump in the sky!

I was Harry's best student, and he was my best instructor EVER. Harry was, simply put, brilliant. He taught me so much, he gave me so much advice. I will never forget that clipboard with the TAC on the back, and ratty ol' spiral-bound under the clip with all of his notes. And I will for sure NEVER forget his infectious and goofy laugh.

Harry taught me from the instrument rating and sent me to the CFI ride with Ray Evans at the LGB FSDO; due to his prep I aced it with the fastest oral/flight CFI checkride he had ever heard of. Ya know, you could always see the gears in that man's head turning. They were big gears, and they turned fast as hell. He always had a quip on hand- saw him get stumped only once in all the time I knew him.

Harry, I couldn't have come close without you, and all of my success in this career is to your honor. Damnit, Harry. I'm gonna miss the hell out of you. You always threatened to com on board my ship and tell the other passengers that you were my flight instructor and that is why you were wearing the parachute... well, it's not to be but I had a flight in memory to you last night.

Godspeed Harry Leicher you sonofagun.
Your homie,
Brandon

I had the pleasure of doing several demo jumps with Harry into the Riverside Air Show over recent years. He is a hell of a guy; patient, knowledgeable, a raconteur...

I read the Blue Skies forum every Monday morning hoping there is no one I know. This sucks. Sorry for all the family, friends and acquaintances out there, Particularly sorry for those who didn't have a chance to meet him. He was pretty darn cool.

Blue Skies

Hey everyone. I joined this site today to send my condolences to Janna and Harry's friends here on the forum. I'm not a skydiver but I am a pilot, one that was trained by the best pilot out there, Harry. I met Harry several years ago when I joined Long Beach Flight School. Someone told me he was the best so the next day Harry and I had our first flight. Up to that point I had been flying already for many years but hadn't finished up my private. Harry and I flew all over together... from Catalina to have Buffalo burgers up to Paso Robles to get the keys to my mom's new house. He helped me finish up my Private Pilot's license and took me 99% through my Instrument rating. Being the best instructor out there Harry recorded all of our flight and ground sessions so I could later review what we had just done. I recently started to review our Instrument flights and I know that now they will be difficult to listen to. I flew with him at the beginning of this year but due to conflicting schedules I haven't not flown with him since but I spoke to him just a couple weeks ago for about an hour or so...just catching up and talking about how great it is to fly together and how we should go flying soon.

Harry was truly a dedicated instructor and a great friend. I am still in complete shock about his death...it really is surreal. His good friend and former skydiving buddy and my current instructor Monte called me yesterday morning to give me the news. We are all deeply saddened by the loss of such a great friend and as busy as this world is, with Harry gone the sky's and our lives will feel that much emptier.

Blue Skies Harry.....We'll miss you!

Rudi Limich

Harry brought a huge amount of experience, perspective, and common sense to the USPA BOD when he was Western Regional Director. So many skydivers, as well as pilots, will miss him. I so much enjoyed my conversations with him about skydiving and aircraft safety.

I am so saddened about your loss Janna. My heart goes out to you and your loved ones.

One story I have is when my mom died, she wanted her ashes spread over the ocean. There was only one person I wanted to help me with this and it was Harry. I called him up and he said "let's go". Harry, Janna, Jack Flash and I went up and flew mom over Long Beach. We static lined her out and circled around her for at least 10-15 minutes while her ashes flew with us.
To top it all off, they wouldn't take any money for the plane rental or their time.

You are missed Harry, it was great to spend the jumping time with you and Janna all these years.

BSBD:(

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Harry was one of the good ones. He'll be missed. Here are some photos of Harry from the old PerrisCam website. Harry and his friends from happier days.... Fly free Harry.....

Thank you for sharing those pictures Jack. I only have a few pics of Harry from a few of our flights. I'll try to dig up the pictures I have and post them up...

God damn! I'm going to miss him. :(

And here is what Harry had to say about Al Frisby. And many of you noted his profile tag line. I always noticed that when reading Harry's posts......

We had a great turnout for Al's ash dive yesterday.

What was really special was that after a full week of rain, and forecasts for continued rain, we had totally blue skies at the pre-arranged time.

Someone up there wanted to be sure Al got the send off he deserved.

Take More Chances!

BSBD.

Harry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

The outpouring of love and affection from all the people whose lives Harry touched has been amazing. His aviation friends asked what they could do, and I said "organize a memorial service for his aviation family, I can't deal with it'"

Harry's aviation family will be holding a Memorial Service
this Thursday, October 16th, 2008, at 3:00 in the afternoon
at the Long Beach Flying Club
2631 E. Spring St @ Temple Ave
Long Beach, CA

Harry's skydiving family is welcome. There will also be a Memorial Day and Ash Dive for the skydiving family in a month or so. We'll keep you posted.

No flowers, please.
Contributions can be made to Planned Parenthood. Harry's favorite charity, no joke.

Thanks everyone. Nothing is going to fix the hole in my heart, but you will all help me get through it.
Janna

:(I'm sorry Harry, my tears are falling as I type. I am going to miss you so much! We will all miss seeing you out at Elsinore. Thank you for all of your warm, cheerful hugs, sincere advice and for always eating my chocolate chip cookies; even the burnt ones! lol See, you make me laugh even from so far above. Red has always been my favorite color. Now it is even more so because of YOU! While you're up there, why don't you put in a good word for the rest of us~Janna, I wish you comfort and peace. Know that you are just as loved by all of your skydiving friends and family. Hug n a cookie Harry:)~Tanya :)
"Wanna cookie little boy?"