howardwhite

Robert M. Murphy

Robert M. Murphy, who as a 18-year-old private jumped into Normandy on D-Day as a member of the 82nd Airborne Division and later became an active skydiver, died Oct. 3 on Cape Cod.
After Army service, he became a prominent Boston lawyer.
In 1976, 32 years after the Normandy invasion, he jumped into St. Mere Eglise, France, landing within several hundred yards of the bean patch where he had landed in 1944.
His book about the invasion, "No Better Place to Die," is being made into a movie.
He served on the Massachusetts Parachuting Commission, which oversaw arrangements for the 1962 Sixth World Meet in Orange, MA.

HW

I never knew Robert Murphy. But in a way we all know him.

Late last year I went to a dinner and talk with US Army Paratroopers who jumped into France on D-day. It was riveting listening to them talk about their jumps that fateful night. I heard everything from a normal flight in and jump; to the aircraft being hit with antiaircraft fire and everyone running out while it descended on fire. Some ran out too late. Even though most of these men never made a sport jump in their latter years, they were the core of people that spun off the few in the USA that helped develop our sport in its very infancy.

We are losing all our veterans of WWII at an accelerating pace.

I will miss you Robert.

He was a great friend, also, Im sure he is skydiving as we speak with my dad,,

A great legal mind also,,,

WELL SIR DID YOU ASSAULT MY CLIENT BEFORE OR AFTER YOU ARESTED HIM,,,,,

WELLL AFTER I ARESTED HIM,,,,

CASE DISSMISED

THANKS FOR THE LOVE BOB

VIN SILVIA D715
JUSTIN SILVIA D15898
JOE SILVIA D29278
WAKE UP TANDEMGUY !THERES A DUI CHECKPOINT UP AHEAD

I am sorry to hear this news. I met Bob once in Normandy at the Le fair causeway where he and a few other veterans described to us the battle that took place there. I bought a copy of his book and got him to autograph it for me. We talked for several minutes, and I got a photo with him there at the Iron Mike statue. I never knew he was a skydiver though.

Thank you Bob, and all your brothers who fought for us so that we may live free today. Your sacrifice will not be taken for granted..

Rest In Peace