SBS

Adria - 4 years

It wasn’t today, but we are right in the middle of the four days after her accident when we all hung onto hope for a miracle.

I can’t believe it’s already been 4 years, and I can’t believe it’s only been 4 years. Generally speaking, I am ok talking about what happened and about her. For some reason it’s been harder this year and when this last Thursday rolled around, I couldn’t fight back the tears when it would come to mind.

We had not seen each other in months. We were each doing our things, and our paths just kept missing one another. That Saturday of the accident, I showed up at Perris unplanned. She came and said hi and sat down to talk for a little while in the morning. I had a new job that I couldn’t wait to tell her about, and she had hers that she was starting on Wednesday. Her other big news, “I’m learning to swoop!” She had been taking some instruction already, so wasn’t completely clueless.

“I’m frustrated cause I keep coming out low. Do you have any advice?”

“Keep it high, take it slow, don’t fuck up. I’ll watch your landings when I can and let you know if I see anything to comment on.”

I watched a couple of her landings that were a bit low. They were scary, but I had seen much worse. Hell, I had had much worse myself. She was training with her team and rushing around to make airplanes, so rather than interrupt that, I had a decision to make that I will take with me until the day I die, “Eh, we’ll talk over beer tonight.”

A couple of people heard about that regret and came over to talk to me the next day. They were incredibly supportive, and did everything they could to help ease the guilt. Not talking to her did not kill her. It may have saved her life, though, and I would give everything I have to find out. I hope I never make another choice in my life that I regret more.

A couple hours later I was standing in the packing area and heard, “Oh Shit!”

I didn't see her hit, but saw her canopy crumbling to the ground and started running. I thank god I didn't see it, because the images that won't leave my head are haunting enough.

As I started running, I think the entire drop zone was yelling at me, and Dan got on the loud speaker screaming for me to stop. I did, just before running in front of the Otter accelerating to take off.

Finally I got over there, thinking that I was going to keep her company while waiting for the ambulance to take her to repair a broken leg or two. When I got there I heard the words "no pulse", and someone was pulling back her eyelid. That site was like hitting a brick wall full force, and I just sat down and stared. I sat there looking at her for a minute, stood up, and walked away...there was nothing I could do.

When I got back to the packing area, my friend asked how she looked. I numbly responded, “Sort of deadish.”

Quade made a point of coming over to see how I was doing and offered a hug. Normally I would find that creepy and disturbing, but given the circumstances I thought it was pretty nice and it was appreciated.

I flew to New York on Wednesday, and a friend told me at dinner that she was gone. I think we all knew it was just a matter of time, but that did not make hearing the definitive word any easier.

Her number is still in my cell phone. It makes me mad that her name started with an A, cause it’s always there, the second listing every time I go to the phonebook. I can’t even change it to be last name first, because it would still be in the second position. It’s silly, because it seems like I know she’s gone in every way, but just can’t bring myself to erase the number. Maybe at 5 years.

:(

Steve, my wife worked with Adria’s mother at the time of Adria’s accident. At the time I knew nothing about skydiving, and thought anyone who jumped out of an airplane was a fucking idiot.
Although I didn’t know Adria, my wife had met her and after the accident told me, no, Adria was an intelligent, kind and sweet young woman who embraced life with passion.
Long story short, I had to see why skydiving meant so much to her. So I did a tandem, got hooked and tried AFF. Unfortunately I sucked. The instructors at Perris never gave me the TUB speech, but they probably should have.
So now, every year, I go to the drop zone on my birthday and make a tandem jump not only because I want to but for some reason I have to.
Thank you Adria.

I remember that day well.

I was walking to the Skyvan, past manifest with my tandem student on my right side, odd as I usually have them on the left.

As I look to my student to answer a question I saw the beginning of the turn and the aftermath.

I was in shock, but all I could think in the moment was "keep the student distracted".

We got in the Skyvan, it was a school load. Every instructor on board had seen what happened, and we all instinctively knew the outcome.

There wasn't a word uttered about it the entire ride up, but through looks, nods, and 1000 yard stares we all communicated.

That day we lost one of the kindest, most vibrant person I have ever met in this sport and I remember her smile vividly to this day.

Don't let go of that number, or the memories. And it's ok to feel the hurt from time to time, but I believe that those we've lost live on through our memories, both happy and sorrowful.

Steve,

I still carry Seth's phone number in my wallet. He wrote it on a little yellow packet... you know the ones... I didn't have a cell phone ten years ago. But I still have that little yellow packet in my wallet.

I know what you're talking about. Never forget.... never regret.... live like you mean it.

Luv ya buddy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I think we all feel that perhaps something we could have said or done would have saved her life... We were supposed to take a canopy course together after nationals that year to learn the art of swooping. Both Jess and I asked her to just wait a little while and concentrate on team training... As we all know... Adria didn't wait for anyone or anything. She lived life to the fullest everyday and she let her cup flow over at all times.
We all still love her and will never forget her, but the regrets are wasted so let that go Steve and just enjoy having known her :o)

Thank you for the lovely post... :o)
f

I met her that year while working at the san diego DZ. When she said she was learning to swoop (after of course watching a couple high turns), I told her sternly to go slow....there's no rush. She left quite an impression on me.

...as for phone numbers, I still have Wyat's.
my pics & stuff!