skydive_n8

Todd J.

Here's a pic of Todd finishing his pack job with a big grin on his face.

Also attaching a pic that Razz snapped of our CRW Memorial dive for Todd. 4stack, planed-up drinking to him on a sunset jump. Razz, me, Jay, and Hairy Bob all gave the appropriate Todd, Todd, Fuck, Todd!

Blues,
April
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Thank you, April!! That is great picture of Todd. You'll have to burn some pictures on a disc from that weekend and send it to me. You were going crazy with your camera and I'm sure there are a boat load of good ones of the Wissota CReW!

Todd was so excited about the CRW camp weekend. He was so excited for me to start dabbling in CRW. It pains me to say that other than one "attempted" CRW jump, Todd and I never built the awesome two stack into a downplane that we always talked about.

Our one attempted CRW jump pretty much consisted of him yelling "Sashay! Sashay! Sashay!" at me for 10,000' while I tried to keep his old Fury flying straight. Apparently the some of the lines that were finger trapped together were out of trim:). The rule about Todd's Fury was only Todd could jump Todd's Fury. Imagine my surprise as I walked out to the plane on that jump and asked him, "What am I jumping?" and his response was, "My Fury".

The old Fury got jumped about 500 times more than it should have. After Mary rode a stack almost to the ground and not aiming Todd directly into the peas when she released him, Todd decided it was time to retire the Fury. It had absolutely no flare left in it and it was either peas or knees. About three weeks before Todd passed away, we had a proper bonfire ceremony and burned it. I'm glad he got to do and was there for that.

Two months down, the rest of my life to go...

Todd often said that if he won the lottery he'd get breast implants because he loved boobs so much, and then he'd have a set of his own and could touch them anytime he wanted.

I just got a return email from the organ and tissue donation people. They were able to harvest some of Todd's skin. The email goes on to say that with technolocial advances, human skin donations are not the prefered therapy for burn victims. Instead, skin is now used for breast reconstruction following mastectomies.

Todd's going to get his boobs after!!:D:D

Who knew someone could laugh and cry so hard at the same time as I am right now.

Us girls at the dz were going to make shirts that said "Todd thinks my boobs look nice today"...a comment that many of us heard quite often. Maybe the shirt should now read "Todd's boobs look like today".:D

It's official; Todd has done his last skydive. It was #5390.

After dealing with a nice cloud layer at 1400' for the majority of Saturday morning, the afternoon brought beautiful blue skies. The ash dive, from the launch, to the release, to the round and right hand donut, went absolutely perfect.

Thanks to all those in attendence, and special thanks to Mikey P. for making the release bag, and Kerry for coming over from Baldwin to do camera.

Attached is "the money shot".

Blue Skies Forever, Todd!

3 MONTHS A.T...

It's awesome that Todd was an organ donor, and his skin was used for breast reconstruction surgery. I wonder how many pairs they got out of the skinny bastard.

Now, whenever I look at a woman's breasts in Wisconsin, I'll wonder if it's Todd. And if the woman busts me ogling her melons, I can say, "I thought you were someone I know."

4 MONTHS AFTER TODD...

Toad's awesome fiancee Lynn sent me a package last week containing the Todd memorial DVD. A heartfelt thank you goes out to all who were involved in its creation...

The "picture show," edited by Jamie and Sean, was great. Ironically, the last picture in the montage, of Todd swooping his canopy at sunset as it fades to his name and birth/death dates, is really a pic of me flying my Gang Green-colored Vengenace.

The "video show," made by Karl and Merriah Eakins, looks very professional, and has a wide range of footage from both ground and air.

Video of the ash dive, taken by RWS, MB, and Kerry, was also much appreciated. Kudos to MP for constructing the release bag. When I watch footage from the close-up angle in slow-motion, I can see shards of bone leave the bag. I know, I'm sick...Todd of all people would have appreciated it.

The package from Lynn also contained a t-shirt and two "Didja C Me?" patches, to be sewn to jumpsuits in memory of Todd. I'm putting my patch on my ass, since Todd loved to grab male or female buttocks in freefall whenever he wore his helmet cam. I should sew the patch right over my leather cheerio, because for some reason, whenever Todd grabbed ass in FF, his thumb made a bullseye right in the center...

The t-shirt, which has a grim reaper on it, was from Quincy 1999, the day of the Friday the 13th Jet Jumps. I used to give Todd a hard time and tell him the shirt was a lie, because the jet had been weathered out that day. Lynn warned me that the t-shirt was dirty. When I pulled it out of the package, Alicia said it looked pretty clean for a cream-colored shirt. Then I told her that it had originally been pure white...

Thanks Gag. The only thing that would have made that package better was if I could have seen the look on your face when you got it.

I can't believe its been 1/3 of a year already. When I think of how long its been since I got the "I'm sorry.." line from the doctor, it seems like yesterday. And when I think about how long its been since I last talked to Todd or saw him, it seems like ages ago.

Today we got our first measurable snow fall on a work day. Last December when the first one came, it took me 2 hours to drive the 15 miles from work to home. I sat and talked to Todd the entire way home that night. Needless to say, I shed a few tears on the not quite as long commute home tonight as I kept on wanting to grab the phone and just call him.

This weekend I spent about 14 hours going through Todd's old DV tapes to burn off all the video footage of Skyler and Alex on DVD's for Erika. I fast forwarded through most of the skydiving footage (which seemed just wrong), but there was plenty of footage that I stopped, rewinded and watched, including some interesting line twist situations, a few "off landings" (which would you choose, clothes line or chicken fence??), a few naked jumps (including one of Gag and Todd, naked, holding hands and exiting...BRAIN FLOSS!), and tons of ass grabs. I'm only about 1/4 of the way through the DV tapes and I'm sure that I'll find plenty more to laugh about, and I look forward to watching them without fast forwarding some day.

I really enjoyed watching the Sky and Alex footage. I see bits and pieces of Todd in them. From Skyler and her fearless approach at carnival rides and chicken chasing to Alex and his "oh, shiny things!" attitude (I only got through the footage of 2003 when Alex was one and younger). I hope to one day be able to tell them both how proud he was of them, and how he wished to be able to give them the world.

Todd--I'm still kickin'! Miss you tons and I upheld our Thanksgiving tradition! Love you and remember, snow during the week, blues over the weekends!

JEDEI MASTER

You started out a pilot,
but soon felt the call
to spend every weekend
in the realm of freefall.

Your stinky feet
could clear a room,
when you broke wind,
it was a sonic boom.

Coach and mentor,
instructor and rigger,
hook turn and BASE jump,
whose balls were bigger?

Rantoul and Quincy,
our August escape,
skydives and boobs
caught on videotape.

Jedei Master,
fashion disaster,
swooping machine,
lover of Green.

You left this dimension
the way you'd desire;
swooping Mach Two
with your hair on fire.

Your ashes now scattered
across the Earth;
the memories you left,
a lifetime's worth.

Freezy pops in the microwave
Pizzas in the oven
I sure do miss all of your lovin'

I'll never forget
When you looked into my eyes
And with a loving look said,
"Get the fuck away from my apple pies"

I'll miss you today
I'll miss you tomorrow
Hopefully one of these days
Will lessen my sorrow

Hope the skies are blue up there, Buppers!

Six months already...

One of my favorite memories of Todd took place during our only pilgrimage to Nationals. The scene was Chicago, 2002. We were having trouble engineering a dive, so Todd asked Shannon Pilcher for help. Keep in mind that Shannon was Skygod #1 at this point; he had just set a new world record for long-distance swoop, and he was alternate on 4-way team Deland Majik.

So Todd sauntered up to Shannon. The rest of the team watched as Todd nodded his metal-plate-laden head, receiving a quick word of advice. When Todd came back, I said, "Did you talk to him like that?" His rebuttal was, "Yeah, why?"

Apparently, just before confronting Shannon, Todd had been eating barbeque chicken. A lot of it. He had barbeque sauce smeared from ear to ear. He looked like a scary clown. And there were so many chunks of chicken hanging from his chin, his face could literally have fed a family.

I told Todd to go look in a mirror, and when he came back, he had scrubbed his face clean. It was the only time I ever saw him embarrassed.

My other fond memory from Nationals...the tenth and final round of 4-way competition. Todd and I filled the Otter with toxic flatulence to "get an edge on the other teams." Luckily, another team in the airplane, Juggernaut, with our friends Duck and Malibu Jim, tuned us out (and plugged their Factory Diver nose holes) long enough to take first place in our division.

Blue Skies, Black Death

Brian--It was also great to see you at Joe's last weekend. And it was me who was the lucky one.

Funny thing happened at Joe's Heli Boogie...

Tony (Butters) wrote about the last heli boogie where Todd helped him out by packing his slippery so Tony could get another jump in.

And Gary wrote about Todd's "Pay It Forward"ness.

Last weekend at Joe's I helped pack two slippery's. One asked what he owed me. Truth is, I almost turned to him and asked what I owed him. I got to pay it forward in the exact event, the exact same place two years after that Todd did. That was a priceless feeling for me.

Brian--It was also great to see you at Joe's last weekend. And it was me who was the lucky one.

Funny thing happened at Joe's Heli Boogie...

Tony (Butters) wrote about the last heli boogie where Todd helped him out by packing his slippery so Tony could get another jump in.

And Gary wrote about Todd's "Pay It Forward"ness.

Last weekend at Joe's I helped pack two slippery's. One asked what he owed me. Truth is, I almost turned to him and asked what I owed him. I got to pay it forward in the exact event, the exact same place two years after that Todd did. That was a priceless feeling for me.

:)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I wish I would have known Todd. Thank you Lynn and everyone for posting so many great and hilarious stories about him. I can't comprehend the loss, but see how much he left behind in this world and how his purpose was to pay it forward, make people laugh, and treat Lynn like a princess..even when she didn't want him to. I've always been a fan of funny t-shirts and I laughed out loud reading the story about the condom/aids/baby shirt when he showed up at Lynn's office. I've never had such a weird sense of missing someone when I didn't even know them. I guess he can still make impressions on people he didn't even meet, still after he's gone. What an amazing person he must have been.

Blue Skies Todd

Mel

Todd’s void is felt by all that were fortunate enough to know him, and could never be filled. He touched so many people, and was a mentor to me in many ways. I began flying jumpers at ISPC about four years ago, and started my skydiving career around that time as well. While I was flying, I could expect two things from Todd: a foul smell as he was exiting the airplane, and some critiquing on my flying technique. As he spoke the words “just a little….rudder/throttle/trim/etc.” he would rub his index finger and his thumb together. When he was shooting video for tandems on the way to altitude he would always try to get me to fake an epileptic seizure for the video, which used to be his thing when he was flying.
Todd taught me so much about skydiving, flying, and equipment in his free time, but never wanted anything in return. There is much to be said about him, and that is evident by all of the posts by those that knew him. He was such an extraordinary, selfless individual.
Contrary to the reports on his last skydive, it was a two way and I was fortunate to be on it with him. We launched a two way head down, followed by more freeflying. I shot video of our jump together, but it turned out poorly because my camera wasn’t set up properly, and it was only my 5th camera jump or so. I have attached two still images I pulled from the video: one is a shot of Todd before we exited the airplane, and the second one is a classic Todd- he has his pilot chute in one hand, and the other hand is busy giving me the finger- just prior to his deployment. A fitting farewell :(
Todd’s spirit will live on in me, as I am sure it will in all that knew him. I miss him greatly, and always will.

BSBD Todd

No funny stories this month...

When Matt J. posted two pictures from Todd's last jump (see previous post), it was a sobering reminder of the dangers inherent in skydiving. It saddened me to see a photo of my best friend's lovable mug, taken less than two minutes before it was pummeled beyond recognition.

Hopefully, we can all learn from tragedies such as this, especially those of us who feel the need to swoop. For me personally, Todd's death may have saved my life. I have drastically altered how I plan and execute my landings. Don't get me wrong, I still like to go big, but there's a time and a place for everything. Those who live by the sword, die by the sword. There's no need to land at Mach speeds on every single jump--it's not fair to those in the air with you, and it's not fair to those you potentially leave behind.

Let's be careful out there...
Blue Skies, Black Coffee

Here's a picture of Todd I came across that was on my cell phone. This was in july after Todd and had just got are aff ratings, the ink was still wet in our log books!!! We all went to the bar to celebrate and it just happened to be dollar burger night. This made Todd quite happy as he orderd a dozen hamburgers for himself. The waiter looked at him and asked him if he was for real, Todd replied lady this will feed me for the rest of the week. To make things better Todd boxed up every ones left over fries to bring home for left overs on top it. The next day I drove back to chip with Todd so we could put my new rig together. For lunch we had cold hamburgers with cold french fries to boot. We would have had ketchup but there was none left in the club house and it was to far to walk to Todd's apartment in the hanger to get any. Todd it was great flying with you during the AFF course...thanks for all the help. Jumper in tow!!!
If first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you!

This is perhaps my favorite memory of Todd...

At one of the first World Freefall Conventions in Quincy, Todd repeatedly bragged about a new tent he had “picked up,” a gigantic Army-surplus model with multiple rooms. He said it had a bedroom, a guest room, probably even a bathroom.

It took Todd half the night to pitch the olive-green tent. When he was finished, we all had to admit that it was an impressive shelter. It even had a screened-in porch, and an awning over the entrance.

A couple of nights later, a big storm rolled through tent city. Everyone’s tent made it through unscathed...except for Todd’s, which had collapsed and flooded. With only one tent pole left standing, it looked like a teepee.

Undaunted, Todd crawled inside his tent, tiptoeing through the flooded areas. With the rest of the crew laughing and pointing, Todd wiggled into a sitting position against the surviving tent pole. You could actually see the outline of his head and shoulders inside of the burlap cocoon.

Then, a light clicked on inside the ruined tent. Todd was reading one of his Star Wars books in there!

Postscript – He slept in that damned teepee the rest of the week.

Still miss ya, buddy...

I was waiting for your post all day!!

Todd and his stupid Star Wars books.

The first time I went back to the hanger apartment after he died, there was a Star Wars book in the bed, on the right side of the pillows. Right where Todd had left it either that morning or before he went to work the night before. It took me over two months to take that book off the bed, and its gotten as far as to make it onto the floor, page still marked.

One of the few joint purchases that Todd and I had was our "boogie set up". I bought the tent. Todd bought the air matress. Together we had our "Perfect (and cheapest) Accomodations" for any boogie or skydiving trip. I had to talk Todd into buying the $27 air matress, with a full cost anaylsis, and when he still said no, I threatened him of having to find a tent of his own to sleep in...alone. He was a thrifty bastard, and I loved him for it.

8 months...and I still want to pick up the phone and call him!

RANDOM FUNNY MEMORIES OF TODD...AKA TOAD, TODDLEY, ZIPPERHEAD, FORREST, THE LAST LIMEY

*Finding Todd passed out in the back of the roadshow bus in the winter, using a road map for a blanket.

*Todd once got drunk and ate a bucketful of strawberries that Bob had left at the DZ. Then he puked up the whole mess by the front door. The next morning, Todd tried to deny it, despite the massive red stain down the front of his white t-shirt.

*As a joke, I slipped 2 cans of dog food into Todd's grocery cart at Quincy. He paid for them anyways, and ate them for dinner back at the campsite, proud of how much money he was saving.

*Todd borrowed my Xaos, and he broke his wrist swooping Bob on the golf cart. He didn't tell anyone about his injury, because he was manifested for the next tandem video. In the subsequent video, you can hear him whimper in pain as he reaches for the toggles. Todd landed on the cross runway so no one could see his ugly half-flare landing.

*One time Bob was driving down the DZ driveway, and he saw Todd on the roof of the old clubhouse. Todd was stealing the old T.V. antenna from the roof, so he could install it at home. "What the hell are you doing?" Bob yelled up to him. Todd replied, "It's just going to waste up here."

I saw the new Star Trek film today. During the movie, I kept thinking of Todd. He was a total sci-fi geek, and he would have been all over that sh#t.

I can totally hear Todd laughing about the skydive sequence, where Kirk and Sulu freefall from outer space. He would have made fun of their batwing parachutes (which look like the Precision Batwing canopies that Todd and I used to think were lame). He would also have laughed at the self-packing chutes, and Captain Kirk's horrible canopy control skills.